Jump to content

The Iron Shortsword


ifoz

Recommended Posts

It's kind of odd that the iron shortsword head can be smithed by any class, though a Blackguard is needed to simply affix it to a stick.
I think it could be nice if there was a plain "Iron Shortsword" that could be crafted by any class, but would have the exact same stats as a regular iron Falx. Probably made from the shortsword head and a stick, without the need for charcoal.
Just so that players who made the shortsword head thinking that it would be a good weapon aren't disappointed to learn that you need to be a Blackguard to do anything with it.
It's a cooler feature than just relegating the smithing recipe to Blackguards only! :D 

Edited by ifoz
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Honestly kinda wish there was just better weapon variety in general. All swords being falxes might be nice for people who like falxes, but i dont like falxes, and would rather just have a regular basic sword. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/5/2024 at 6:25 PM, ifoz said:

It's kind of odd that the iron shortsword head can be smithed by any class, though a Blackguard is needed to simply affix it to a stick.
I think it could be nice if there was a plain "Iron Shortsword" that could be crafted by any class, but would have the exact same stats as a regular iron Falx. Probably made from the shortsword head and a stick, without the need for charcoal.
Just so that players who made the shortsword head thinking that it would be a good weapon aren't disappointed to learn that you need to be a Blackguard to do anything with it.
It's a cooler feature than just relegating the smithing recipe to Blackguards only! :D 

I'd like this too, though mostly because I'm not a fan of how the Falx blades look. Plus class-exclusive recipes really shouldn't have their unique components be craftable by just anyone(even if it's technically not that hard to make, like a sewing kit), as that's going to frustrate newer players who aren't aware of the crafting limits.

4 hours ago, Maelstrom said:

Given the greater difficulty in forging a falx, the short sword should have slightly less capability.  Probably 0.5 less damage dealt.

2 hours ago, Chuckerton said:

Honestly kinda wish there was just better weapon variety in general. All swords being falxes might be nice for people who like falxes, but i dont like falxes, and would rather just have a regular basic sword. 

The thing about the Falx blade is that it feels like it's supposed to be the canon lore weapon for fighting the supernatural stuff, which I can definitely appreciate. So I don't want to see it passed over entirely just because it looks a bit strange. I'd let regular swords have the same basic stats, but give the Falx blade and Blackguard shortsword damage bonuses against supernatural mobs in order to stay faithful to lore. Alternatively, instead of that damage bonus, the weapons could have the same general stats but weapons that aren't specialized for fighting the unnatural could wear down faster when used on unnatural entities.

Speculating on the design of the Falx blade itself and why it may be more effective than conventional weapons against drifters and the like--the Falx blade seems built to puncture rather than slash, focusing more energy toward the blade's tip. It's not really clear exactly what drifters are made of, but they have an unknown amount of metal embedded into their physical makeup, which is going to be hard on slashing-type weapons and resistant to bludgeoning. A Falx blade would be much more adept at puncturing thick hide at a critical weak spot, bypassing the metal bits, as well as being much smaller and easier to wield in tight spaces than a spear or bow.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, LadyWYT said:

Speculating on the design of the Falx blade itself and why it may be more effective than conventional weapons against drifters and the like--the Falx blade seems built to puncture rather than slash, focusing more energy toward the blade's tip. It's not really clear exactly what drifters are made of, but they have an unknown amount of metal embedded into their physical makeup, which is going to be hard on slashing-type weapons and resistant to bludgeoning. A Falx blade would be much more adept at puncturing thick hide at a critical weak spot, bypassing the metal bits, as well as being much smaller and easier to wield in tight spaces than a spear or bow.

Perhaps the shortsword could have slightly further reach than the Falx to make up for it's shortcomings, since it takes the same amount of iron to make a regular iron Falx.
The Falx seems designed so that you thrust the tip into the enemy, puncturing them, and then rip it back towards you like a sawblade, cutting through metal and thick hide.
The downside of this is that you would need to be pretty close to your enemies to do this. The shortsword could be thrusted, allowing for further reach, but not that cutting power that the Falx has.

On the subject of another Falx type, I have been thinking about a potential "Nightmare Falx" which would be the arm of a nightmare or other higher-tier drifter repurposed as a makeshift weapon. The blade would be a rare drop from arm-bladed drifters, and would make any drifters killed with it have a higher chance of dropping loot. It wouldn't be very durable though. After all, it is just a rusty old blade attached to a stick.

Edited by ifoz
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, ifoz said:

.

On the subject of another Falx type, I have been thinking about a potential "Nightmare Falx"

I like the Idea of naming your weapons. say after you make "X" number of a weapon you can add a gem or ore to the recipe and it will be given a name or you can chose one for it.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.