An Intense Day for the Seraph

Thorfinn

For the last several playthroughs, I have not seen too many bears that I could not see from the ground, so I decided to forego the Morning of Day 1 quarter-stack of ladders that I typically use for recon. (Foreshadowing? Whatever do you mean?)

Because I didn't dedicate a couple hours to sticking, I'm off to an amazing start. By 2PM, I'm approaching a full stack of flax seeds, half stack each of turnip and spelt seed, two linen sacks, a half stack of quartz (no clear quartz, curiously), almost a full stack of olivine, and a little over a half-stack of resin. Peering into a cave, I saw bauxite. Oh, and between an offhand torch and pratfalls, I've made some great progress in my nutrition bars. The only lackluster bits were I've only seen a single node of copper, which yielded 2 nuggets, and no wild hives detected. Ah, well, tomorrow is another day. I'll close out the day finding clay and peat and getting the essential pit kilns going, and hopefully finish a small charcoal pit by first light. Then I'll spend the day getting the farm going.

Now I remember that ladders really help in finding peat and clay. Oh, well, I'm on lightly rolling plains. How bad can it be? (What is it with your fixation on foreshadowing?)

I run over a slight rise, and there, about a dozen yards ahead, a brown bear. Back up, maybe he didn't see me. Nope, I hear him aggro, so, calm professional that I am, I spin around and fat-finger "W" and "Q", throwing away the copper knife I found. (Oh, yes, now I remember why I always used to re-bind "Throw".) On pretty much level ground, the bear will get me, but if I can get my zigzagging right, I can gradually widen the distance. I see some brush off about 100 yards. If I can just not mess up in the next little bit, I can easily lose him there.

It's not as big a clump of bushes as I was hoping for, but is big enough to hide another brown bear. At about 6 yards. What big teeth you have!

There's another clump of bushes about 50 yards away with a forest beyond. Problem is every zig increases the distance between me and bear left but decreases the distance between me and bear right. And every zag does the opposite. I bearly make it into the brush (see what I did there?) and widen the distance a bit, then charge into the trees. Straight into a black bear at about ten yards. Somehow, despite a lot of near misses, I've not taken any damage. I hear a squeal, break hard left, run through some blueberries and straight into the boar, who draws first blood. Really, game? But that's why I have a stack of poultices. It doesn't take long to leave the black bear and the boar behind, but the trees are too widely spread to lose the browns. I am slowly widening the gap, though. A series of inconvenient cliffs reduces my lead to approximately nil, and pretty soon it's getting dark. Fortunately, I was carrying a torch in my off-hand for the bonus hunger.

It's getting hard to see much of anything. Except for that wolf cub. My brain has just enough time to form the words, "Wait, what?", before being bit by one, then another wolf. The second one greets me with the sound of my armor breaking. And the browns still think I'm the stinkin' Pied Piper or something.

The rest of the evening is something of a delightful blur of several more wolves and one more black bear. I've gone through my entire stack of poultices, am naked as the day I was born, have nothing better than a stick for a weapon as a result of a couple more instances of forgetting to re-bind "throw", and my life bar is down in the bottom quarter or so. Oh, and the last couple hours were in full dark, because I ended up in a pond. So it's 3AM, I've been fleeing for my life for 13 hours, and I don't have any idea where I am relative to anything. Oh, wait, the sky is getting lighter in that direction. I know where I am relative to east. And I distinctly remember having heard at least two different wild hives. Somewhere. So there's that.

Pro-tip. Don't skip the ladders.

What exciting days have your seraphs seen of late?

Edited by Thorfinn
  • Like 3
  • Wolf Bait 1
  • Haha 2

Yeah, @LadyWYT, turns out, wolf bait. After that start, around day 5 or so I went to pick a rye I'd just been ignoring because it was just going to suffer from the heat anyway, and I had more important things to do. Turns out that single rye plant was the only thing holding up the dirt covering a very, very deep hole, so I plunged to my death.

Yes, I know better than that. I just get careless sometimes.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 6/15/2024 at 6:29 PM, Thorfinn said:

Oh, wait, the sky is getting lighter in that direction.

Just wait until it turns out to be a forest fire! 🤣 Not that that's an actual possibility, but still...

On 6/15/2024 at 6:29 PM, Thorfinn said:

What exciting days have your seraphs seen of late?

I think the most excitement I've had of late is attempting to locate all the Forlorn Hope hideouts that seem to be near where I settled. The last one I found due to a chunk loading error; exploring the ruin lead to the discovery of the Forlorn Hope Talisman and a cave tunnel leading further down into a dropoff into another cave system. What's in that cave system, I dunno, but it had at least six corrupted locust cage spawners and a handful of other locust nests clogging a tunnel nexus, so there's bound to be some sort of goodies down there aside from the nickel deposits.

I also about had a panic attack in that same world during a temporal storm. It was dark, and there was a blizzard, so even with a lantern the visibility wasn't that great. I was busy fighting drifters and saw something BIG and covered in frost coming at me out of the corner of my eye. Took me a moment to realize it was a bear and not some rare Rust monstrosity(which, isn't possible at this point in time anyway as no big Rust monsters have been implemented and I don't have any mods that add things like that).

Otherwise it's been pretty quiet. I have a steel scale chestpiece that I found in a ruin and repaired, and have been acquiring more steel to turn into better armor soon, so the danger level of things has been cut pretty dramatically. I'm more at risk to getting overconfident and dying to stupid at this point.

• Like 3

In my second world (the first ended during the first night when I learned the prime directive of 2 sticks, 2 flint and 2 grass is the FIRST objective) I was building a pathway across a sandy plain.  Placed pathway block number next and the world disappeared.  I thought to myself "self, WHAT?! just happened?" and before that though was half done I noticed my health was at half and the friendly neighborhood den of drifters (3 or 4 of them) was helping with beating the remaining 1/2 of my health out of me.  It only took them 3 or 4 seconds to convince me to start a third world.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Maelstrom said:

OH!  Be very careful.  You found yourself one of those rare (thought be extinct) Arctic Drop Bears.   Infinitely more deadly than the Australian breed of drop bears.

Oh, well in that case I totally left him alone in the tree to mind his own business. *whistles innocently*

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.