What is the Best Starting Climate?

Stejer

The default starting climate is temperate but from what Ive seen from the spawnrange of mobs and crops etc the warm climate seems to be better. Not to mention in the temperate climate it seems to rain ALL THE TIME like it was the UK

Since the update that added deer and goats I started to think the warm climate instead of the temperate to be more useful. Not only you still have the dangers of cold in the winter but its less likely for your crops to die of temperature. also many of the species of deer and most species of goat spawn in the warm climate and I kinda want to explore those new creatures since I still havent got the chance.

So Id like to know with at least those being my opnions in mind (i dunno if they might be wrong in some capacity tho) is there any benefit that the temperate climate that the warm doesnt? (like less spawn of pine tree for sap of less likely to found bees or something?)

Food storage is the only thing I can really think of, since temperate climates will get fairly cold in the wintertime. How much it extends the shelf life I don't really know, but it's something to consider when working with fresh food if you don't want it to spoil before you can use it. In warmer climates fresh food will spoil faster even when stored in a cellar, since the temperatures don't get nearly as cold. On the flip side though, the growing season is practically year-round in warm climates, so you don't really need to worry about preserving food for the winter.

I'd say it really boils down to what climate you prefer spending the most time in and how challenging you want the game to be. Colder climates are going to pose more of a survival challenge, especially in the earlier portions of the game. Warm climates will be easier to survive in, but you won't get to fully experience all four seasons since it won't really get cold.

• Like 1

The other thing is I don't think rain is all that much different. Sure, there is savannah where rain is uncommon, and desert where it's scarce (or whatever those terms are) but the same is true in temperate starts. The first obvious indication if you don't like opening "C" is that the grass is, on average, much shorter in lower precipitation. I've never really tried beekeeping in arid conditions. No idea whether or not its possible.

I actually prefer frequent rain. Crops grow quite a bit faster. Or maybe it just seems that way. Rather than being watered at 75%. they are 100%.

• 2 weeks later...

In my opinion, hot climates are the easiest. No wolves/bears and no harsh winters to prepare for. Your main threat is hyenas which only aggro when you get within a couple blocks of them and will scram as soon as you slap them. Termites and bamboo shoots are excellent sources of early game survival food. When you're ready to garden, soybeans will give you year-round protein, pineapples year-round fruit, and rice year-round grain. If you're under 40 degrees in the summer, flax will happily grow all year as well. Bees seem to be a lot more common. Deserts are excellent for spotting surface ore deposits and traders. Etc, etc.

Edited by BTubbs200

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.