Remove Knockback from Starvation and Falling Damage

ifoz

It's a minor suggestion, but it can also be quite a big annoyance.

When you take starvation or fall damage, the game applies knockback to you.
You get pushed or flung around from starving damage (every single tick) and fall damage (after you hit the ground).

When playing on a server with latency issues, this becomes a major problem.

Taking even a single tick of starvation damage is a gamble that you get thrown off a nearby cliff or into a nearby pit from knockback.
Falling will do damage, but there is then a pause between hitting the ground and being flung forwards by knockback, sometimes resulting in a second fall. This is worsened if trying to descend any kind of mountain. 😅
You can also kind of teleport around a lot when taking starvation damage on a server due to what I assume is the server logging the point you were hurt, then your client trying to catch up to it, sometimes rubber-banding you quite a few blocks away.

I'd just really like to see knockback removed from these two damage types. It's unrealistic, but mostly it's just sort of annoying when you have bad connection to a server. :)

• Like 4

I wonder if a fix for the starving would be draining all the nutrition meters first before allowing the player to suffer damage to their health, assuming that the knockback is tied to all types of damage and can't easily be separated from it. That would also give a short grace period in the event that food is scarce, while still providing a penalty(the longer you go without, the more nutrition you'll need to replenish, and you'll still die if you don't find anything to eat).

Now on the other hand, there's a sliver of me that's morbidly curious about what happens if you did the opposite and cranked up the knockback value instead(and perhaps decreased fall damage to compensate). I'd imagine you'd get scenarios similar to the Skyrim Space Program. 🤣

• Like 1

@LadyWYT I can tell you what happens on a laggy multiplayer server: You get slung several meters in whatever direction you happen to be moving at the moment the knockback happens, often resulting in your char ending up in totally unintentional places. Now just place a deep hole or edge next to you when this happens and we got a flight to Neverland 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

10 hours ago, ifoz said:

Taking even a single tick of starvation damage is a gamble that you get thrown off a nearby cliff or into a nearby pit from knockback.
Falling will do damage, but there is then a pause between hitting the ground and being flung forwards by knockback, sometimes resulting in a second fall. This is worsened if trying to descend any kind of mountain. 😅

That sounds... specific.   I don't suppose you have deduced this possibility from personal experience?  😆

• Like 2

On 6/28/2024 at 11:33 AM, xXx_Ape_xXx said:

@LadyWYT I can tell you what happens on a laggy multiplayer server: You get slung several meters in whatever direction you happen to be moving at the moment the knockback happens, often resulting in your char ending up in totally unintentional places. Now just place a deep hole or edge next to you when this happens and we got a flight to Neverland 😂

A week ago or so I logged into a server and had about 2-3 minutes of lag.  Didn't realize I was lagging until all of my maneuvering to dig up 30 or 40 blocks of gravel launched me into a montage of fast forward motion.  It was really funny watching the drifters in high speed video as well.

Edited by Maelstrom
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Maelstrom said:

That sounds... specific.   I don't suppose you have deduced this possibility from personal experience?  😆

Indeed I am, the mountain descents haunt me to this day..

There's this big mountain range between my town and a friend's town, and so every time we visit each other we need to either go the long way around or climb it. This kind of problem happens a little too often. 😅

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.