Fruit tree issues

Manimal
Go to solution Solved by LadyWYT,

I've read a few other posts. Though didn't find any information that might help.

My current world is started in Warm. Seems Ive landed right between cold needing fruit trees, and warm needing fruit trees. Might be screwed, But thought I'd ask for assistance.

I'm in my 4th year. No spawned trees are producing fruit. Around my base is every cold temp fruit tree. None make fruit. Not in 4 in game years. Though, I did find a decent mountain nearby, That doesn't get snow, but the tiny pond up there does get a small amount lake ice. (the in game temp monitor does not adjust for elevation..). so I tried anyway. Planted 5 of each cold temp fruit. 4 peaches survived, 2 red apple, and 1 pear. All survivors vernalized, all others died. In fact I cant get a cherry to survive anywhere.

Now to warm temp trees..

Less than 5k blocks south. Ive got orange and Lychee. Lychee will not take near my base. Though Ive gotten two orange to grow. But here's the thing. I'm 4 years into this world. Not a single warm temp tree has produced fruit, that I can find. Not planted or spawned. I've gone as far as 20k blocks south, even saw a hyena for the first time. But every warm fruit tree I find is barren. (was so happy to find pom, but cant grow them.)

I'm unsure what to do. As I love growing the fruit tree's.

Also, I'm glad they are doing their best to ad this vernalization feature. Though in my opinion. Its far from realistic. As Ive lived on the american west coast(all states). Where cherry, peach, pear, apple, orange, and poms. All grow together.(in fact, I could post a pic of a peach growing next to a papaya tree, outdoors)

I hope a way is added in the future. Where it is possible to grow all the trees at your base.

I'm not sure the greenhouse gives enough bonus.

That being said...

No, I have not yet built a greenhouse in this game. In any world. But plan on testing with it today.

Thank you.

• Solution

If the trees are in newly created chunks I don't think they'll have any fruit until the next year. It's a little odd that trees in existing chunks aren't producing fruit though. Do you have any mods that could be affecting them? The only other thing I can think of to try is to check the settings and start a new world/play a different existing world to see if it's an issue there.

• Like 1

On 7/5/2024 at 12:49 PM, LadyWYT said:

If the trees are in newly created chunks I don't think they'll have any fruit until the next year. It's a little odd that trees in existing chunks aren't producing fruit though. Do you have any mods that could be affecting them? The only other thing I can think of to try is to check the settings and start a new world/play a different existing world to see if it's an issue there.

Thanks for the response. I'm uncertain if any of my mods would cause a conflict. My mods are - Carry on, Dana Tweaks, Expanded Foods, HUD Clock, Medieval Expansion, Simple Pottery Wheel, Primitive Survival, Quicklime In Pitkiln, and Stone Quarry.

I can understand why the spawned cold fruit trees are not producing. As its to warm where I'm at at low elevation, all year. Though why the spawned orange, lychee, and poms I've found. Don't produce. Is beyond me. Still, a new spring just started. I'll go check again soon. Is there any info about what time of year trees tend to flower? Or is only temp based?

I'm uncertain when to check the spawned warm temp fruit trees.

the wiki (and in game help, in briefer form) outlines the fruit tree growth: wiki fruit tree

for a tree to flower, it needs to be exposed to the cold for a while and then experience a warm day. More specifically it needs to be exposed to temperatures above the die-below temperature but below 1.5 to 2.5 degrees (Vernalization Temp) for 220 to 280 in-game hours (Vernalization Time). It will then flower once the ambient temperature goes above 14 to 24 °C again.

So I decided to base in a warmer region and discovered my cold fruit trees would not blossom.  seems it wasn't getting cold enough for the duration it needed.  and the warm fruit trees, would die.  

my solution was to build a platform (integrated with the towering windmill), and plant the cold fruit trees at elevation, gaining enough consecutive cold days below the required temp.

the warmer fruit trees needed to be replanted (in my case) on the beach of the lake, it was just low enough to meet the consistent temps needed for the growth cycle.  

Although in my case, I didn't need to build a pit to lower depths to gain the needed warmth for the warm fruit trees.  I've been led to believe that in the very cold climates, an open pit to the sky deep enough, can act much like a greenhouse gaining elevated temps the deeper the pit.  haven't tested that yet...

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, idiomcritter said:

my solution was to build a platform (integrated with the towering windmill), and plant the cold fruit trees at elevation, gaining enough consecutive cold days below the required temp.

Nice!

20 minutes ago, idiomcritter said:

I've been led to believe that in the very cold climates, an open pit to the sky deep enough, can act much like a greenhouse gaining elevated temps the deeper the pit. 

Not really a greenhouse per se, just that it's warmer underground. When I start taking cold damage, I usually just find a convenient cavern to explore rather than building a fire. If you play with gravity on dirt, took at the blocks way deep in some of those vertical holes. The ones that get enough light turn into grassy blocks, the ones that slide too far off to the side remain dirt.

[EDIT]

Or did you mean "such that it is sufficiently warm" instead of "that gets the effect of a greenhouse"?

Interesting question: Might one be able to place a glass block in that hole and also get the benefit of a greenhouse, reducing the depth you would have to go?

[/EDIT]

Edited by Thorfinn

58 minutes ago, Thorfinn said:

Or did you mean "such that it is sufficiently warm" instead of "that gets the effect of a greenhouse"?

Interesting question: Might one be able to place a glass block in that hole and also get the benefit of a greenhouse, reducing the depth you would have to go?

the question prompted me to test...

Sure enough, after traveling (tp) to the polar region, with a surface temp of -3, punching a hole straight down to mantel, increase the temp by 11+ degrees.  If I was observing correctly, it seemed that for every 10 blocks down, 1 degree increase occurred.  

And.... placing a glass block 7 blocks above, gained the +5 greenhouse effect!

vs science lol

• Like 2

On 7/5/2024 at 12:49 PM, LadyWYT said:

I guess I'll just assume it was bad (year) timing and freshly loaded trees...

As I finally made it down to my discovered orange and lychee tree's on May 6th, year 5. Didn't go as far as the poms, but the oranges are flowering and the lychee are fruiting. So it looks like I'm good.

Thanks again for your help.

1 hour ago, idiomcritter said:

the wiki (and in game help, in briefer form) outlines the fruit tree growth: wiki fruit tree

So I decided to base in a warmer region and discovered my cold fruit trees would not blossom.  seems it wasn't getting cold enough for the duration it needed.  and the warm fruit trees, would die.  

the warmer fruit trees needed to be replanted (in my case) on the beach of the lake, it was just low enough to meet the consistent temps needed for the growth cycle.  

Although in my case, I didn't need to build a pit to lower depths to gain the needed warmth for the warm fruit trees.  I've been led to believe that in the very cold climates, an open pit to the sky deep enough, can act much like a greenhouse gaining elevated temps the deeper the pit.  haven't tested that yet...

Yes. I had read that about the temp requirements. I was just wondering if any info was available. About time of year for those temps, by region. Great to hear your experiments though. That's useful info!

I can't really speak much on fruit trees as I'm still in the process of figuring them out. But they seem to flower sometime in the spring, when the weather is warm enough. As to when the fruit ripens, that seems to depend on how warm or cold the area is. Cherries seem to ripen in the late spring/early summer, while pears seem to ripen late summer and apples in the early fall.

• Like 1

The month before I left to go check those warm fruit trees down south. I built a working greenhouse around the single orange tree. That I've gotten to take root at my base. Upon returning home.

I was welcomed by this when I went to check on it. I also got my first cherry to take root on the nearby mountain. I now have peaches, apples, pears, a cheery and an orange. All flowering.

So that's nice! Next is to try Lychee and Pom. Then try to find the rest.

My one nemesis right now is... So much time in this one world and I have yet to see/find a pepper seed...

Still, I sure was happy to return to this.

2024-07-07_15-43-36.png

14 minutes ago, Manimal said:

So much time in this one world and I have yet to see/find a pepper seed...

You shouldn't. There were issues with it, so it was removed. Various people have tried adding them back in through mods, though.

17 hours ago, Thorfinn said:

You shouldn't. There were issues with it, so it was removed. Various people have tried adding them back in through mods, though.

Oh wow. I did not know this. Thanks for the info.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.