Modded Game Lag (How do I stop this?)

ifoz

The game runs near-flawlessly in vanilla for me (drops a few frames when in forests due to all the leaves) but runs quite bad when modded.
Currently playing with Better Ruins and Better Traders, and I get severe lag spikes very frequently, sometimes only seconds apart.

Does anyone know if this is an issue with mods or with some settings that I might need to tweak?
I have a pretty decent PC, and I still get this lag even at low render distance, so I don't think it's anything to do with rendering.
The game will be running fine, have a two-second freeze, and then run fine again.
It's also considerably more choppy in regards to framerate when modded, but the lag spikes are the main issue for me.

Does anyone know if there is anything I could change in settings or something to fix this?
Thank you!! :D

Can you snap a shot of your graphics settings? That might help narrow down the cause, though I'm wondering if it has more to do with how much of the world has been explored. My current game doesn't have those mods, but has a handful of others and has similar issues. I don't think any of the mods are really performance-heavy, and the graphics settings aren't terribly extravagant(hardware is decent). I have explored quite a lot of the world though, and activated at least five translocators, so I'm wondering if that's perhaps keeping more chunks active/loaded than there are at the beginning of a game. However, I'll also note that the dropped frames aren't always an issue--sometimes when I reboot the client, reload the world, or even just play for a while the game will sort itself out.

I will also note that in my case, it could still be a lurking issue with my mouse, although I've not noticed it causing the issues I was having before.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, LadyWYT said:

Can you snap a shot of your graphics settings?

Yep! Here you go.
graphics.png.747a545d73c86f8564f4c42810774677.png

37 minutes ago, LadyWYT said:

That might help narrow down the cause, though I'm wondering if it has more to do with how much of the world has been explored.

Honestly, I don't know about this. I've had worlds with a ton explored and a ton of translocators activated with zero slowdown or stuttering issues.
I'm honestly wondering if Better Ruins is trying to generate big stuff underground or does huge generation placement checks whenever new chunks are loaded, perhaps that could relate to it somehow?

image.png.ab8795e89c49e9516122bbe5380e35b5.png

What I have mine set to, although I run Fullscreen and not Windowed(was just for screencap). I'm not sure what hardware you're running, but I would assume since our settings our similar that it's similar to mine: Ryzan 5, Radeon 590, and 16 GB of RAM.

1 hour ago, ifoz said:

I'm honestly wondering if Better Ruins is trying to generate big stuff underground or does huge generation placement checks whenever new chunks are loaded, perhaps that could relate to it somehow?

Possibly. As I recall, Better Ruins adds a lot of items to the game(or at least, the blueprints that let you craft uncraftable items?). It also generates some larger, more detailed structures than vanilla, and some of them are proper dungeons leading underground that you will need to clear out if you want the loot/space. I don't think they're quite at the scale of the Resonance Archive, but one of the reasons that the Archive tends to drop frames is due to all of the chiseled detailing, I believe. So it's very possible that the Better Ruins could be the cause of the lag. The next time you notice a framerate drop/stutter, it may be worth popping into spectator mode and taking a quick look around to see if there's any massive structures that might be the cause.

• Like 1

I never had much luck getting Better Ruins to not drag my system down. Similar performance hits whether I'm on my i5/980 Strix or my i9/4070 Ti. I'm not running out of ram or SDD in either case. And both are running 1024 or greater view distance. As cool as Better Ruins looks, I just can't.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Thorfinn said:

I never had much luck getting Better Ruins to not drag my system down. Similar performance hits whether I'm on my i5/980 Strix or my i9/4070 Ti. I'm not running out of ram or SDD in either case. And both are running 1024 or greater view distance. As cool as Better Ruins looks, I just can't.

Honestly, same.
It's a super cool mod but I'm struggling to cope with the constant lag.

I also think that the surface ruins are a little too... not ruined?
There should be zero wood left aboveground after centuries of decay, and yet I'll find some with whole wooden parts and chests that aren't even rotten.
I also think sometimes they are just too big and too common, and it takes away from the game's lonely (no civilisation) but lively (world feels alive) atmosphere.

I love the mod, and all of the new ruins are super cool and intricate and I really appreciate the effort that went into them, but in it's current state with the lag, I think I honestly might use it less. If the lag is ever fixed though, I'd love to get into a proper full-length playthrough with it on.

Edited by ifoz

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.