Naming Conventions

redram

Just wanted to make a suggestion with naming conventions.  This stems from a notion of a sandbox game like this preserving a somewhat neutral fantasy world that the player can adapt as they imagine.  But also if VS is shooting for a sort of medieval-ish time period, it might be good to rename things which have a 'modern' component.  Specifically this came to mind with regards to the "California" poppy, which obviously refers to a real-world American state - a relatively new thing.  Might be good to make it a 'Sunrise' or 'Dusk' poppy.  I would go further and also suggest trying to not use any real-world locales or nations.  So for instance Spanish Moss could instead be 'Bearded' or 'Elder' moss.  Chinese bamboo could be "Eastern" or "Star".  Etc, etc.  This notion could be further expanded to remove names, though they're less objectionable imo.  For instance the "Mead's" milkweed, is bland enough to probably fit into anyone's imagination.  In any case, this allows a player to sustain in their mind, the illusion of another time and/or world, a little bit better I think.  Just a thought.

• 8 months later...
On 1/4/2017 at 3:36 AM, redram said:

Specifically this came to mind with regards to the "California" poppy, which obviously refers to a real-world American state - a relatively new thing.  Might be good to make it a 'Sunrise' or 'Dusk' poppy.  I would go further and also suggest trying to not use any real-world locales or nations.

Yesterday I started to clean up the language file to see if I can make things more simply readable. Turns out the poppy had the "California" name to it and I never noticed. :(
So finally things are named, as they should be: California Poppy is now Dusk Poppy, as suggested. Western gorse (Ulex gallii) is renamed to Yellow Gorse.

poppy.png

Disclaimer: Plants are my hobbyhorse - continue reading at your own risk ;)

There is often a more "traditional" name that can be used as alternative common name (which is maybe the name that was used in the 14th century). It does not matter that such "traditional" names are frequently used for different species in different locations, e.g. Dwarf Furze for Ulex galli and Ulex minor (which are both yellow).  Even if both species are used as a model reference for the game, there is always another name available, e.g. Dwarf Gorse as a alternative name for Ulex minor.

But maybe it is helpful to keep the scientific name somewhere in the code comments, to keep track which species is the reference for which model.

In the case of Eschscholzia californica there is the common name Golden Poppy that can be used instead of California Poppy.

If there is a such a "traditional" name available for a reference species I would prefer this name over an "invented" name.  An "invented" name should be used when the reference model is intentionally changed compared to real species.

Another benefit of this approach: it is easier to translate to other languages. Starting with Golden Poppy I can translate to German common names Goldmohn or Schlafmützchen. Starting with Dusk Poppy I cannot identify a real plant and end up with a fictional translation like Dämmermohn or Abendmohn.

Keeping the naming reference to the real species is also helpful for enhancing or modding the game, inspired by additional research how the reference species can be used. Wikipedia about Golden Poppy:

"... leaves were used medicinally by Native Americans and the pollen was used cosmetically, while the seeds continue to be used in cooking. The plant is used as an herbal remedy: an aqueous extract of the plant has sedative and anxiolytic actions.The extract acts as a mild sedative when smoked, but the effect is far milder than that of opium ..."

13 hours ago, skol said:

In the case of Eschscholzia californica there is the common name Golden Poppy that can be used instead of California Poppy.

If there is a such a "traditional" name available for a reference species I would prefer this name over an "invented" name. 

whoops.... O.o You are totally right! As the maker of "Butterfly Mania" mod encyclopedia, I honestly have no idea how it slipped my mind to look up the alternative names. I did that hundreds of times (I'm not exaggerating ^^) for my butterfly species. 
Thanks for reminding, I will correct the names! ^_^

I'm sure that you are not exaggerating. I think I know exactly what you mean. Once I did the complete german translation of the plant mega pack mod. This task was a bit obsessive it but felt like a creative act to figure out a "good" alternative german name for all the plant species and biomes. It took a lot time but it was fun.

Archived