Professor Dragon Posted August 20 Report Posted August 20 (edited) This is a cautionary tale on the combination of wgen commands and elk travel. I'd just finished travelling from my northern base, south past the equator, built my first "hot zone" base and partially restored a nice limestone cathedral. Time to come home, by elk. The game has updated by 1.22.7, so I was only slightly suprised to find that a ruined structure had the white and red question mark blocks on it. "No problem" I thought. "This isn't an area that I care about, and I know the command": <Boink> /wgen regen 1 It was at this point that I discovered that the wgen command does not care if you are mounted on a tamed elk. Really, I should probably have known better. The elk was loaded with some of my southern goodies for use in the frozen north, and I was seven days into the return journey. I'm not even sure exactly what I had in there. Elk, gone. Sturdy leather equipment, gone. Southern treasures, gone. Bone flute, useless. Entity count revealed . . . nothing. What is interesting is that it left me as if I was riding an Elk in the air, and retained the Elk map marker. Small and bitter consolations. This is reproducible - here it is repeated on my test world: (I suspect that this is a contributing factor to disappearing Elks when time switching in the Devastation. Yup, done that also.) I'm considering writing a Suggestion to have the wgen by default ignore tamed mounted elks - they should be treated the same way as the player and their inventory - not to be touched and unless explicitly called for. So, there's your salutary lesson - don't mess around with wgen if you don't know what you're doing. Especially not on your main world. Professor Dragon. Edited August 20 by Professor Dragon 3
LadyWYT Posted August 20 Report Posted August 20 6 hours ago, Professor Dragon said: So, there's your salutary lesson - don't mess around with wgen if you don't know what you're doing. Especially not on your main world. If only Jonas had realized this sooner. Of course, then there wouldn't exactly be a story to play. 5
Teh Pizza Lady Posted August 20 Report Posted August 20 19 minutes ago, LadyWYT said: If only Jonas had realized this sooner. Of course, then there wouldn't exactly be a story to play. Jonas server admin confirmed and abusing his privileges. 2
Professor Dragon Posted August 20 Report Posted August 20 (edited) 6 hours ago, LadyWYT said: If only Jonas had realized this sooner. Of course, then there wouldn't exactly be a story to play. Oh, well played, @LadyWYT, well played. I haven't learned the lessons of the past well enough. Edited August 20 by Professor Dragon
Professor Dragon Posted August 27 Report Posted August 27 Need I say more? My four footed "friends" have likely been my downfall more times than all of the Rust Monsters combined. 5
Maelstrom Posted August 27 Author Report Posted August 27 Brevity is the soul of wit! Very well *ahem* witten @Professor Dragon! 1
Teh Pizza Lady Posted September 27 Report Posted September 27 (edited) SO.... There I was minding my own business waiting for the temporal storm to roll in. The sky turned that sickly color that meant it had started, the terrain rolling in on itself. And there, past the haze of distortion, walking calmly in the midst of the chaos -- Thunderlord Dave. Just existing... doing his thing. I paused to take a screenshot when something slammed into me. A shiver, fast and mean, already lining up for a second pass. Well that decided things right then and there. I bolted for the door, fumbled with the latch, threw myself inside and slammed it shut. Safe. Or..... So I thought. I heard screams, the panicked kind, coming through the walls. The Blackguard was still out there, fighting alone against the storm. I heard footsteps on the stone and threw open the door. I wasn't leaving her out there to die. Well that decision lasted about half a second when a drifter came walking on through, catching sight of me immediately, both fists already swinging for my skull. I think I actually saw stars there for a second. Oh no, what did I let in??? Then the Blackguard burst in, sprinting for the door and straight into the drifter's swing. She went down hard, face first, actually. Dead before she even finished falling. ... and fall she did, right into me. I think she actually pinned me to the floor giving the drifter ample opportunity to just keep swinging away. CONGRATULATIONS, YOU DIED! I didn't even get to take the screenshot, either. Edited September 27 by Teh Pizza Lady 4 1
Professor Dragon Posted September 27 Report Posted September 27 (edited) 9 hours ago, Teh Pizza Lady said: The Blackguard was still out there, fighting alone against the storm. I heard footsteps on the stone and threw open the door. I wasn't leaving her out there to die. So . . . together you chose options which led to you both dying. Nice. I'm sure everyone feels better for that. As the airlines remind us "Make sure your mask is secure before seeking to assist others." Decision points leading to disaster: Monitoring for Temporal Storm warnings did not take place or were insufficient Planned joint effort for Temporal Storms were not in place or insufficient Communication between parties was insufficient Fall back plans for emergencies were not in place . . . or insufficient Weapon readiness and preparation . . . Okay. There's a pattern emerging here. Have you ever taken a tally of whether this Blackguard is more trouble than they're worth? Hmmm . . . . ? (Oh, sorry. This is polite company here, so pretend I didn't ask that. Ooops. Sorry. I'm sure it's win-win. Apart from the pies. <Ahem>) EDIT I've just appreciated that someone killed by his own sheep may not be best placed to comment. Edited September 27 by Professor Dragon 1
Teh Pizza Lady Posted September 27 Report Posted September 27 1 hour ago, Mark Watton said: I accidentally ate a deathcap once. I found out the hard way that there are poisonous mushrooms in the game. I ate a field mushroom and was fine. The next mushroom wasn't so fine.
Mark Watton Posted September 27 Report Posted September 27 2 minutes ago, Teh Pizza Lady said: I found out the hard way that there are poisonous mushrooms in the game. I ate a field mushroom and was fine. The next mushroom wasn't so fine. That was exactly my experience.
Novadegree Posted September 28 Report Posted September 28 Save me some reading folks, do any of these stories start with "This one time at band camp"?
Mark Watton Posted September 28 Report Posted September 28 4 hours ago, Novadegree said: Save me some reading folks, do any of these stories start with "This one time at band camp"? This one time at band camp, we fed the councilors hefty death cap stew. 2
Maelstrom Posted September 30 Author Report Posted September 30 On 9/27/2026 at 5:17 AM, Professor Dragon said: EDIT I've just appreciated that someone killed by his own sheep may not be best placed to comment. He wasn't my sheep until after he had killed me. He was just meandering around on my mountain top construction project when he head butted me into next week. As revenge I put him in timeout and made sure he impregnated the females.
Mark Watton Posted September 30 Report Posted September 30 (edited) 1 minute ago, Maelstrom said: He wasn't my sheep until after he had killed me. He was just meandering around on my mountain top construction project when he head butted me into next week. As revenge I put him in timeout and made sure he impregnated the females. So, you rewarded him for killing you? That's wild bro. Edited September 30 by Mark Watton
Maelstrom Posted September 30 Author Report Posted September 30 2 hours ago, Mark Watton said: So, you rewarded him for killing you? That's wild bro. Nah. Stuck him in time out. Then when I had gen3 ram, he became dinner. Or was it breakfast?
LadyWYT Posted September 30 Report Posted September 30 6 hours ago, Maelstrom said: Or was it breakfast? If you're a Blackguard, it sounds more like a light snack.
Maelstrom Posted September 30 Author Report Posted September 30 4 hours ago, LadyWYT said: If you're a Blackguard, it sounds more like a light snack. That was the world I switched from blackguard to hunter due to the new mobs.
Recommended Posts