Stained Glass Colored Lighting

Omega Haxors

If I hazard a guess based on the availability of different light saturation levels, I would say this is planned and coming.  I would also guess that it would be sometime after light bleeding is taken care of and standards for some basic light types are finalized.  I definitely look forward to this mechanic.  

The ability to shade your light in a multitude of colors would be fantastic.  I would suggest that it not be limited to something like 16 blocks for effects.  Sixteen blocks for texture perhaps, but if the light saturation system can handle it, Id love to see a difference if I created something with 6 blues and 5 greens from 3 blues and 5 greens.  If you follow my strange line of thought.

• Like 2

I admittedly know nothing of how Vintage Story does lighting, but I'm a great fan of how SonicEther implemented path-traced global illumination in his Minecraft shader. I mean, if you can achieve playable framerates in Minecraft while path tracing, then it should theoretically run even better in the much higher performing VS engine. And then you don't "just" get things like colored light filtering through stained glass. You get colored light reflections off of colored surfaces, light bouncing around corners, reflected light casting shadows, dynamically emergent ambient occlusion, and all that snazzy stuff.

Vintage Story's lighting looks so smooth, I frankly don't know if there's already some sort of global illumination solution in place. I need to progress beyond huddling in a dirt mound hiding from monsters and wolves before I can really investigate that. 😅 But if it was a valid option to perhaps convince/hire SonicEther to port his algorithm at some point in the future? Wouldn't that be something!

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.