Several new player questions

Streetwind

...but no, none of them are "how do I punch tree" :)

Instead, I'd like to know:

• If I create a world smaller than the default 1 million by 1 million blocks, what does that do - other than cut off the world at those distances? Does it compress the biome generator so that biomes are smaller and closer together? Can I still "get everything" on a really small map, such as find all the stone types, get all the backstory hints, and see all the different biomes/areas?
  • Does Vintage Story also work in "chunks" like Minecraft does? If so, how big are the chunks, and can I display chunk borders in the game?
  • Related: how far away can I be for crops to still grow, charcoal to still process, and other such things that happen on their own over time?
  • Is there any better way to fire clay products than one by one in a firepit? Those shingles I want for my roof are killing me...
  • EDIT: If I "charge up" a bow or spear for a ranged attack, does that only affect the accuracy? Or does the damage also scale with how far it was "charged"?
Edited by Streetwind

If I create a world smaller than the default 1 million by 1 million blocks, what does that do - other than cut off the world at those distances? Does it compress the biome generator so that biomes are smaller and closer together? Can I still "get everything" on a really small map, such as find all the stone types, get all the backstory hints, and see all the different biomes/areas?

It cuts, not compress.

Does Vintage Story also work in "chunks" like Minecraft does? If so, how big are the chunks, and can I display chunk borders in the game?

32x32x32. Technically towers of blocks, not a 3D grid. Check your keybinds.

Related: how far away can I be for crops to still grow, charcoal to still process, and other such things that happen on their own over time?

Crops and most other things are based off the progression of the world clock. Meaning when the chunk loads, it updates the progress of everything so you don't have to be near.

Is there any better way to fire clay products than one by one in a firepit? Those shingles I want for my roof are killing me...

I could have swore there was a way to mass fire clay stuff but for the life of me I can't find it.

EDIT: If I "charge up" a bow or spear for a ranged attack, does that only affect the accuracy? Or does the damage also scale with how far it was "charged"?

The dummy is a great way to test weapons to see how much damage they do.

• Like 1

As the elefant says, I now have additional questions.

• Usually when I break light mud bricks with an empty hand, I get the block back. Twice now, I did not get it back. But that's like, twice out of a hundred. Is there such a thing as a small chance to lose a block if you don't use a tool? Or did I encounter a bug?
  • If animals flee after being injured, and I leave them alone, do they heal back up to full over time?
  • If I leave mature crops and ripe berry bushes standing around, will they eventually go bad and wilt?
Edited by Streetwind

On 4/3/2020 at 5:18 AM, Streetwind said:
  • Usually when I break light mud bricks with an empty hand, I get the block back. Twice now, I did not get it back.

This is intended game mechanics, that you do not always get the block back.  Cob drops even less often, iirc.   This is to help establish them as a 'primitive' building material, as opposed to more advanced ones that always drop.  

• Like 1

Thank you! :)

As for the other two questions, I don't have a definitive answer yet, but it at least seems that wild wolves that flee on low HP will later be able to take just as much damage again as before. Well, either that, or they despawn and respawn. I can't really tell. But for now I'm operating under the assumption that animals do heal over time.

Up next:

• Aren't Cassiterite deposits supposed to be gigantic? I found one in the second or third rock layer (depending on whether that 20-block band of bauxite qualified as a layer of its own...), and to my surprise, it barely yielded more than a single stack of ore. Which, of course, is still worth a ton of bronze, due to the mixture ratio. But these are amounts I've seen from some surface copper deposits. Considering every guide and wiki page makes a big deal about how rare but large Cassiterite is supposed to be, that was kinda underwhelming. Is this the usual size, and my expectations are just wrong? Or did I get really unlucky?

10 hours ago, Streetwind said:

Aren't Cassiterite deposits supposed to be gigantic?

Cassiterite has two or three different spawn types.  The most common being the small ones that spawn at some depth (not surface).  They are indeed approximately surface copper size.   There is also a very rare surface spawn variant of cassiterite.  I think these might be slightly larger than the norm.   And then I think there's a third, super-large deposit, which is supposed be super-rare, I think.   So there's three different kinds.   The wiki being community made in large part, it's possible something was gotten wrong.

• Like 1

I now have additional questions:

• Is there anything like a window tile or glass sheet that doesn't take up a whole block? If I saw apart regular glass blocks, the resulting slabs say "horizontal placement only". I'd want to put them vertically as a window. Is there some way this can be done? I mean, it's not of critical importance, I could use full blocks. But it would be nice to have aesthetically :)
  • How can I figure out the item names used for the /giveitem command? Take for example a wooden door. '/giveitem wooden door 1 streetwind' does not work. Neither does "wooden door", wooden_door, woodendoor, doorwood, or just door. What way would I use to look up what I actually have to type into that command?

Did you try placing the glass slab in the grid?  Most other slabs, you can just place them in the grid, and it cycles them between horizontal, vertical, and auto modes.

I think giveitem requires an itemid, which you have to go into some sort of debug mode to find out I think.   Or you can just go into creative mode the /gamemode 2, and search for the item by name in the creative inventory.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.