Armor Overhaul

Omega Haxors

The current armor system needs improving. First problem: There's way too many systems fighting each other. This adds a lot of unnecessary complexity and makes the damage calculations completely unapproachable. Most of the armors are completely unbalanced, either being completely worthless or being overpowered to the point that even the hardest enemies are a joke. The system isn't really working.

So how do we fix this? Simple. Keep everything else but remove Teirs, %reduc and flat-reduc. Instead, each point of Defence will lower each attack by 1 hit point. If this brings an attack down to 0, the damage is completely negated, puts you on damage mercy, removes the jelly-screen and replaces the 'ouch!' with a satisfying armor clanging noise.

Lets take a look at a few common enemies we will be fighting:

• Regular Drifter - 2.5 damage
  • Deep Drifter - 4 damage
  • Boar - 5 damage
  • Ram - 7.5 damage
  • Wolf - 8 damage
  • Corrupt Drifter - 12 damage
  • Nightmare Drifter - 20 damage

Now with that in mind, and taking the already-existing stats as a base, lets make some values that are fair.

Early game Armors:

Leather Jerkin - 1 defence points (enough to halve a drifter's attack)
Wood Lamellar - 2 defence points (halves a deep drifter's attack)
Copper Lamellar - 3 defence points (over-halves a boar's attack)
Bronze Lamellar - 4 defence points (halves a wolf's attack)
Woven Cloth (gambeson) - 5 defence points (completely negates a boar's attack)

Late game Armors:

Brigandine - 8 defence points (completely negates a wolf's attack)
Chain - 9 defence points
Scale - 11 defence points (nearly negates a corrupt drifter's attack)
Plate - 15 defence points (makes fighting nightmare drifters far less dangerous)

These assume copper as a base, but for Bronze, add 1 point and for Iron, add 2 points.

Every point of damage the armor reduces will be subtracted from its durability instead. The values provided are assuming ideal circumstances. For example, almost-broken armor may act less ideally, providing a % of its nominal protection. Certain weapons (such as broadswords or hammers) may also bypass armor protection to an extent to help level the playing field for PvP interactions, or potentially open up the option for bosses/tough enemies which can ignore your armor somewhat.

Edited by Omega Haxors

If I'm not mistake it was a request by players to not use a simple damage reduction system.

Btw. it would be quite easy to thoroughly test this as a mod, with only patching json some files. Make all armors and creatures tier 1 potrotection/damage. Set all % damage reduction to 0 and instead set the flat damage reduction to your suggested values.

• Thanks 1

I think the system just needs more balancing, perhaps removal of tiers in favor of having the usual reduction percent, reduction flat and durability for clarity. Pure flat reductions don't make for a very interesting armor system. I've been playing Last Oasis with this exact same armor system as Vintage Story (minus tiers, and it also adds 100 quality levels which slightly affect everything) and I think it's not bad at all, you have armors which are more effective against hard hitting attacks, and armors which completely mitigate lots of small impacts, and then you have weapons which are more effective against reduction or flat (basically a simplified version of crush/slash/pierce).

Edited by Magitex

On 4/19/2020 at 2:36 PM, Tyron said:

If I'm not mistake it was a request by players to not use a simple damage reduction system.

Btw. it would be quite easy to thoroughly test this as a mod, with only patching json some files. Make all armors and creatures tier 1 potrotection/damage. Set all % damage reduction to 0 and instead set the flat damage reduction to your suggested values.

Thanks, i'll make it a mod then release it so those who disagree with the current system have the choice to swap it out.

EDIT: Good has come of this. 

Edited by Omega Haxors

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.