Jump to content

Would a thirst mechanic be fitting for Vintage Story? and how should it be implemented?


Recommended Posts

Posted

Personally I'd rather not have a thirst mechanic, I feel that there's enough things to juggle as is. The best implementation would probably be to add water values to food, and just let you drink boiled water to avoid taking damage from dirty water, it'd fall squarely into progression via the jug and make it more valuable as an item to have.

Though making it not just another hunger bar would be the hardest part, perhaps it could be primarily an issue in hotter regions, where your hydration would go down faster, heatstroke and dehydration etc. A new bar that isn't just "food is your fuel and you use it up by moving around and healing". I think adding it would be difficult to balance around how many things the player already has to juggle and worry about, and it might go the way of Project Zomboid in making the game too much of a chore.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Rezerkity said:

Personally I'd rather not have a thirst mechanic, I feel that there's enough things to juggle as is. The best implementation would probably be to add water values to food, and just let you drink boiled water to avoid taking damage from dirty water, it'd fall squarely into progression via the jug and make it more valuable as an item to have.

Though making it not just another hunger bar would be the hardest part, perhaps it could be primarily an issue in hotter regions, where your hydration would go down faster, heatstroke and dehydration etc. A new bar that isn't just "food is your fuel and you use it up by moving around and healing". I think adding it would be difficult to balance around how many things the player already has to juggle and worry about, and it might go the way of Project Zomboid in making the game too much of a chore.

I hear you on so much to juggle. I personally would balance it by removing surface drifters and rifts and add hydration instead.

Effectively that is exactly what I do via the settings 

Edited by CastIronFabric
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.