Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Posted

Having played Vintage Story for years, I see untapped potential. I’m talking about creating scenarios based on a pre-set starting map with specific rules the player must follow to complete the challenge. Upon completion, the game would display a performance rating, side objectives, the time taken to reach the goal, the chosen difficulty level, and a summary. For instance, in a scenario set in a hot desert climate, the player might have to build a windmill—making tasks like gathering resin and growing flax extremely difficult. Another scenario could involve starting on a tiny island in a vast ocean, where the next small island is a day's journey away; the goal would be to survive and build a sailboat by gathering resources from the various islands encountered along the way.
Give it some thought. Maybe start with mods?
I would love to play a scenario like that. After all, we’ve already seen things like SkyBlock.

  • Like 2
Posted

This is already a feature of the game. It's just the player is the one that will need to set their own challenge rules and adjust the world settings/install mods as needed to support the challenge. The only improvement I can really think to make here is add some sort of "map creator" feature for the mod database, where players can upload custom maps, similar to the feature that Minecraft has for community map creations.

5 hours ago, julusiaa said:

Upon completion, the game would display a performance rating, side objectives, the time taken to reach the goal, the chosen difficulty level, and a summary.

I don't really see the point of this though. What even determines a player's performance? Likewise, difficulty level is a very fickle thing in Vintage Story, since there are many options the player can adjust to make various things easier or harder. A summary is also pretty vague--does that mean items crafted, number of deaths, creatures killed...it could be any number of things.

Objectives are also somewhat arbitrary; there are certain things every player needs to do to advance, but there are also a lot of things that can be skipped entirely. I could see it being a feature of a map editor, but I don't see much use for it otherwise. Same goes for the timer--if it's not a feature of the map editor, it could be handled via console command, or be a miscellaneous option in the same list as the auction house, chunk claims, and class-exclusive recipes.

Posted
8 hours ago, julusiaa said:

Having played Vintage Story for years, I see untapped potential. I’m talking about creating scenarios based on a pre-set starting map with specific rules the player must follow to complete the challenge. Upon completion, the game would display a performance rating, side objectives, the time taken to reach the goal, the chosen difficulty level, and a summary. For instance, in a scenario set in a hot desert climate, the player might have to build a windmill—making tasks like gathering resin and growing flax extremely difficult. Another scenario could involve starting on a tiny island in a vast ocean, where the next small island is a day's journey away; the goal would be to survive and build a sailboat by gathering resources from the various islands encountered along the way.
Give it some thought. Maybe start with mods?
I would love to play a scenario like that. After all, we’ve already seen things like SkyBlock.

I see the value of this for community building as people compete with each other on given settings.
However- even as small as it is, VS already has cheaters and hacked clients.    
So it probably would only work within trusted communities.

Posted

I, too, see alot of untapped potential with this game. As with most games, especially Open World Sandbox and even more Early Access.

Doing a 180° and turning the sandbox into a generic checklist task hunt, however, ain't on that list. If people want to make custom maps with custom challenge.txt files that get uploaded to the interwebz, one day become really big and popular, then ripped of by greedy pay 2 use companies on marketplaces eventually bullying the creative original inventor legally off the face of the earth by scuffed copyright systems - sure, go ahead. But for the game itself as a baseline feature? No thank you.

  • Like 1
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.