Prospecting. questions and problem

Alessandro De Col

So, i watch the video, though i get it, and start doing it

so i dont really get how im suppose to calculate how deep im suppose to dig, and also i cant switch to Node mode, while searching for ores. 

Yes i DO have type the command in chat. the game didnt give me error message, but i'm still stuck in search mode.

PS: unrelated. i forged a copper chain mail...how  do i equip that?

so..any help

Edited by Alessandro De Col

By propicking you can track down a good area to check for ore. That is as close as you can get. There is no way to pin point specific nodes by x, y, or z coordinates. You just have to sink a shaft into the ground and hope you hit one or more pockets of the ore you want.

no, i mean i know i can't get clear coordinates, but instead of telling me "there is some ore nearby" it says "i need 2 more sample" witch is the message from the basic  Density search mode. and from the video tutorial(and the wiki)  im suppose to be able to switch to a more focused mode, called Node search mode.

also now apparently i need to calculate my world sea level, and i dont exactly understand how

6 hours ago, Alessandro De Col said:

also now apparently i need to calculate my world sea level, and i dont exactly understand how

You don't need to :) That's just some extra information might be relevant in some cases - namely, where the ore you are searching for occurs only in your top stone layer, but the top stone layer may not actually go down far enough to reach the depth where the ore can spawn. Checking your sea level allows you to determine the actual block height at which the ore can spawn, so you can see if there is still the right stone at that depth.

In practical application, it has never been relevant in my gameplay. Might have been luck, but that's how it went.

If you do want to pay attention to it: find any large body of water and check your height coordinate. That's your sea level. No calculation necessary. The math starts when trying to figure out the spaw height limits for ore (as in, "60% of sea level" and such).

As for the node search mode: any config changes you make via chat command only apply after exiting and reloading the world (or restarting the server). You most likely cannot switch to node search mode because you only just entered the command and haven't reloaded yet.

8 hours ago, Alessandro De Col said:

PS: unrelated. i forged a copper chain mail...how  do i equip that?

Press C to bring up your character window, where you can see equipment slots. The three leftmost slots are the armor slots. Drag and drop the armor there.

You can also equip any armor piece by having it selected in your hotbar and pressing rightclick.

Edited by Streetwind

Good to know. anyway it still dosen't work. i do have restarted the game, even a  couple of times, but i'm still stuck in  Density mode.

what im doing wrong?

1)I open the chat 

2) i paste: 

/worldConfig propickNodeSearchRadius [Radius]

into it, and than i replace [Radius] with [4]

3)the chat log show me NO message, no error or acceptance.

4)i save and quit. 

while im writing this  i also tryed a new thing. IF  i just paste the code and not set the radius, the chat log say this : radius set

but still NOTHING have changed

Alessandro, I don't know if you've figured the stuff out with the propick yet or not, but this is how it works from my experience. 

The /worldconfig propickNodeSearchRadius command only adjusts how many blocks out from where you sample in Node search mode that you will be able to get a reading, The smaller the number, the shorter the range. Hence, you need to be closer to an ore deposit to detect it. It doesn't actually switch you to Node search mode. To do that, you need to press 'F' with the prospecting pick equipped to bring up the tool specific mode menu. From there, you will see the two pick options, Density Mode and Node Mode. The first, Density Mode, looks like a bunch of concentric rock outlines; the second, Node Mode, looks like a solid pile of rocks or ore chunks (both are also labeled with text as well, so it is quite obvious which is which). The current mode you are in is also the icon displayed at the top of the screen when you have the prospecting pick equipped. By the way, if you want to see if a tool you are using or activity you are engaging in has additional modes, you can press 'N' to bring up a context sensitive interaction prompt that shows all the possible button interactions for a given tool or activity. For example, there are also multiple modes when you are clay-forming containers, molds, and other items.

In case you need a little assistance with how Node Mode works, it is sort of like a game of hot and cold. You destroy a single stone with the mode active and it will tell you how much of a particular type of ore-containing rock you sense nearby. The radius of this detection is what you are changing when you alter /worldconfig propickNodeSearchRadius. The number you enter there is how many blocks out from the one you sample that you'll detect something. The smaller that number, the closer you'll actually have to be to an ore deposit to detect it. For instance, with a radius of 4, the pick will detect and return a result if the block you destroy for the sample is within a radius of 4 from any ore deposit, or a total of a 9x9x9 square from one end to the other, with the sampled block as the exact center. In every case, a portion of the actual deposit you're detecting could be anywhere north, south, east, and west, plus potentially up or down from the sampled rock; you'll have to dig around some more to actually unearth it.

By going along all three of the world axes (X, Y, and Z) you can check to see if the propick detects any ore deposits within your search radius and the approximate size of said deposit, depending on how much it says it detects. The propick's Node mode works best if you sample along one axis at a time, making note of where you detect anything and its relative size. In this way, you can get a feel for the approximate size of ore deposits that you can't even see yet.

Here is an excellent thread where Streetwind and then redram go over how to prospect properly using the two propick modes the intended way.

If you have any more questions about this or need any further assistance, let me know.

Edited by Robert Johnson
  • Like 1

You're very kind, thank you

Anyway yes i understand how it works, the video tutorial on the wiki was pretty clear about how the new prospecting works. 

My problem was just on "how" to get the chance to use the Node mode.  as i said, i deleted the old world and created a new one (i got very lucky this time, my new world is awesome) witht that option ON this time.

I didnt know about the N command , i'll surely try it out next time i log in. thanks again.

i'll also check the thread you linked anyway

im encountering the problem of when im in density search mode i am able to take the first sample then the second but when i try and take a third sample nothing happens. im continually stuck on "need one more sample" ive watched all the helpful videos and copied exactly the same search pattern as the videos but nothing happens 

please help! 

You might be too close on the third sample, resulting in the attempt being unsuccessful.

There must be at least three blocks between the first and the second sample, another three blocks between the second and the third sample, and at least three blocks between the first and the third sample.

Most people take the first sample, walk forwards, break the fourth block to get their second sample, walk forwards again, and again break the fourth block for the third sample.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.