The Nightmare of The linen Sac

tony Liberatto

So after collecting several flax seeds around the world, I made a farm. I went the extra mile and collected Medium fertility soil from underground Dungeons or Ruins.

After several seasons of planting and harvesting, I finally had enough.

8 linen Cloth needs 32 Flax twine that in turn needs 128 Flax Fibers.

I finally had enough to make my first Linen Sac.

Now I will finally have a bigger Inventory.

Wait. What is this? Something wrong with my game? A bug perhaps?

How can it make sense that all this work and the Linen Sac only gives me 4 Inventory slots?

Leather is so easy to be acquired and 4 pieces give you a backpack with 6 Inventory Slots.

There is always a question of balance in a game. The player should be rewarded for his work.

I think the Linen Sac should give more Inventory After all fair is fair.

At Least 8 if there is the intention of reserving slots for any future feature. If not give us the full inventory with all the 42 slots.

The devs have said in the past they want to do a variety of specialized containers that carry a lot, but only of one type of thing.  I think there's a lot yet to come in the inventory department.  Of course, I'm also assuming that at some point we'll only be able to wear 1 backpack.

Yea linen bags are very unbalanced atm. They should probably require just 1 linen cloth and 1 twine. 

Leather backpacks will become significantly more work intensive to produce once we added Tanning.

And as redram wrote, there will be specialized bags. The system for that already exists,  just not the bags themselves yet. 

14 hours ago, Tyron said:

Yea linen bags are very unbalanced atm. They should probably require just 1 linen cloth and 1 twine. 

Leather backpacks will become significantly more work intensive to produce once we added Tanning.

And as redram wrote, there will be specialized bags. The system for that already exists,  just not the bags themselves yet. 

On the Topic of Tanning, I hope we can have treated Hide in Stone age. It's one of the things that always bothered me in TFC. The way they put Leather after Metal.

In my mind, the game should proceed in such a way that the player is capable of setting a base with some farming, Animal Husbandry, Pottery and Cured Leather. (For example, using Fat or Brains.)

I use to be a World History Teacher some years ago. It always amazes me how people always picture stone age as Cave man. In truth, metalurgy was not developed until after man settles down and started building cities. 

I understand there are some game designs, but I think the longer it takes for the player to evolve into the technology tree the more enjoyable the game will be. If the player is able to get to Iron and Steel in just a few hours the game would be too easy.

See Here:

The most advanced non-metal using cultures known were those of Meso-America culminating in the Aztecs/Mexica. The Aztec capital of Tenochtitlan is estimated to have had a population of 200,000-300,000 right before it fell to the rebellion. The city was built on manufactured ground, in the middle of a lake. Its fresh water supply came from several large aqueducts. A vast network of paved roads connected the entire Aztec empire together. They build bridges that spanned farther than any in Europe of the day.

In addition to metals, they also lacked beast of burden (horses, oxen etc) and the variable terrain made wheeled transport, even with good roads, impractical. (That's why the burrow is so strongly associated with Mexico to this day.)

The successive civilizations of Meso-America substituted large amounts of skilled and highly organized labor for metals and work animals. Stone was split to rough size with fire and soaked wood wedges. Then it was simply hammered with other stones repeatedly, crushing off the outer layer until the smooth surface was reached. It took a great deal of time and skill but some of the results are comparable to at least early industrial methods.

2 hours ago, tony Liberatto said:

On the Topic of Tanning, I hope we can have treated Hide in Stone age. It's one of the things that always bothered me in TFC. The way they put Leather after Metal.

You could make leather in large ceramic vessels in TFC, in the stone age.

Archived