QoL Movement

l33tmaan

I've thought of a few suggestions to make getting around in the world a bit smoother, feel free to add ideas of your own. I guess this stuff could be part of the combat update, or just whenever, really.

• Autorun - Pretty straightfoward and hopefully easy to implement. You just press Z or X or whatever button to walk without having to hold down W. Sometimes I'm walking down a really long road and holding a button down for 3 minutes is tedious.
  • Mantling - I can't think of a better name for it, but it's annoying to have to jump over every single block that naturally spawns. Individual blocks only come up to the player's waist, so it would be pretty easy to just climb over it. The idea is that the player automatically climbs up to 1 block if they're moving into it, so you could just... walk up a gently curving hill. If something is 2 blocks tall, then you could jump at it and climb on top of it. This is good because now I don't have to mash space bar just to climb a hill. I also think the speed at which players walk up stairs could be sped up a bit and you could have mantling take slightly longer than how long it takes to walk up stairs now. If you want to go the extra mile, you can give it a snazzy animation so it looks like the player is clamoring up a hill or actually jumping up and climbing things. This wouldn't require any special input from the player's end, you just walk at something waist-height and climb it. Could lead to minor parkour, I dunno.
  • Crawling - I saw a visual bug in multiplayer where someone could move around while laying down, and it got my noggin joggin'. Sneaking already makes the player shorter, so if you could just press the sneak key twice to start crawling on the ground and be able to fit into 1 block tall holes, that would make cave exploration a bit closer to real life and could potentially let players sneak through grass relatively undetected. While you're crawling, you just press the sneak key to go back into your normal, non-sneaking stance. Maybe your hunger goes down slower when you're crawling, I dunno.

Thoughts? These all seem fairly simple but useful to me.

• Like 3

Another thing crawling could do is reduce the detection radius of other entities, like wolves, rabbits, and drifters. Perhaps you actually could sneak up on a bunny and stab it with your spear? If that becomes an option then that could allow for sneak attacks, AKA melee attacks that could actually kill an animal in one or two shots. I have heard complaints about stabbing goats a dozen times before they die, but we're starting to get outside of the scope of the thread...

• Like 1

Along the same lines, I also think they should change, or atleast give us the option to change, the flying controls in creative. Currently you move in the direction you are pointing, which is super annoying if you are looking down to scout the lands or trying to build something like a roof

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.