How to spot different generations of animals?

Hal13

Okay before i've seen animals, a player has bred, had an indicator which generation they belonged to. it seems since some point in the 1.13 cycle that got lost.

Now i have no idea which animal to butcher and which to breed further.

Is there some way to see that information?

Edited by Hal13

• 2 months later...

@Hal13 Whether or not an animal is enclosed by fences plays no role in its behavior; the game does not detect enclosures. If you happened to settle in a natural valley that has no animal-traversable exit, you could let your animals roam free and they would still work just fine.

The only thing that matters currently is which generation of feeding trough initiated breeding the animal has. As Bernhard said above, if the tooltip info shows no generation at all, the animal is not a result of breeding - it spawned in the wild.

6 hours ago, Streetwind said:

@Hal13 Whether or not an animal is enclosed by fences plays no role in its behavior; the game does not detect enclosures. If you happened to settle in a natural valley that has no animal-traversable exit, you could let your animals roam free and they would still work just fine.

The only thing that matters currently is which generation of feeding trough initiated breeding the animal has. As Bernhard said above, if the tooltip info shows no generation at all, the animal is not a result of breeding - it spawned in the wild.

Then i have no idea what caused the issue, they were bred by feeding them via a trough, the area was lit too, somehow only after getting them an actual enclosure (instead of keeping them in a 2 block deep ditch) i was able to see the generation in the blockinfo tooltip, it could have been a weird bug too, maybe something went wrong when i updated the world? i only lost 2 generations it's fine.

Edited by Hal13

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.