Textile crafting

Fredrik Blomquist

I been thinking that the game got a very intricate system for metal making and pretty advanced for pottery, and planting, but nothing for textile crafting. 

I would like to see, first some need to soften the stalks of the flax in order to use them, preferably by leaving them in a barrel of water until they are soft. Perhaps some other wessel or the possibility to do it direct in water if it should't be locked behind the bronze saw. In reality you need to dry the stalks first before you harvest the seeds as the first moment, but that could be cut out. You can also cut out breaking, scutching and heckling, i guess the game otherwise would be to "grindy". But i think the fibers should need to be spun into thread. A basic spindle could be made with a stick and a rock, but later in game you could make a spinning wheel, or even a powered spinning machine. To turn the thread into textile you should need a loom. Don´t know if a hand loom should be a first option or if you should go directly to a warp weighted loom, and later a drawback loom, but it should be possible to build a powered loom later on.

It would be nice to see more textiles being able to be created as well. Wool and hemp fibers could also be introduced later in the game.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Yukihira_S said:

If there are sheeps I don't see why there shouldn't be wool.

They are sheep, but not the kind with fluffy wool. ;) So another type of sheep would have to be added to the game for sheep wool.

Other options would be goats (angora, cashmere; but they still look a lot like bighorn sheep), Alpacas or Vicunas (might be too similar to Minecraft), angora rabbits (not likely, as we already have hares), or maybe yaks.

Edited by junawood

Actually, the modern kind of sheep with no guard hair is a pretty modernly bred race of sheep (the "fluffy wool" is the down hair of the wild breeds), in Sweden they where introduced in the 16:th century and common much later. Before that, you eighter had to remove the guard hair, though preparation or use a much rougher kind of wool. The modern tame breed would not do well in a wild inviroment.

But you need at least some kind of "fluff" of a certain length or you can't really felt or spin with it, unless you want some dreadlock type of material and even for that you still need a certain length. I have some wool with some stiffer hairs left in it, and you can stuff things with it, but felting is a bit... yucky. ;) The modern types of wool sheep and the quality of their wool are relatively new, but getting to that point was a process for thousands of years, and usable wool has been around for a long time.

https://www.yellowstonepark.com/things-to-do/view-wild-bighorn-sheep-in-yellowstone-national-park-high-country

"Bighorn sheep don't have wool; in fact their coat is more like that of a deer than a domestic sheep."

No, i wasn't sure what kind of sheeps the sheeps of Vintage story where, but you might be right, they might be longhorn sheeps. The environment felt pretty american with lupines and racoons so it seems to fit.

But most older domesticated forms of sheep have horns on both females and males. I know very little about the longhorn sheeps, they must have some down hair beneath their guard hair, but it could be to small amount and to hard to separate to be used as wool.

https://wiki.vintagestory.at/index.php?title=Bighorn_sheep

"The most unfluffy sheep ever." :D

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bighorn_sheep

On some of the photos they look kinda fluffy, but if you look at them at 100%, it looks like pretty coarse hair and not wool.

But now I really like the idea of having yaks in the game, in colder regions. :) They could look quite impressive, especially in bigger herds, and you could get meat, fat, hides, bones, milk and wool from them, and they would be great as pack animals and mounts.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.