High fertility soil locator

heptagonrus

High fertility soil is not visible on plains.
It is very unrealistic to find it looking at block infobox while running through plains.
I found it only 3 times at some hills or soil level change, because of dirt side surface color.

In future iirc some fertilizer will be added. Maybe it will be accessible in mid-game so players will still be hunting high fertility soil.

Also if connected grass block textures will be introduced and hills become green, high fertility soil might not be visible at all.

Maybe some locator can be introduced, working similar to propick? Some special proshovel, telling you probability of high fertility soil in area?

I think the best solution to the issue might be to add a few flowers that only grow on high fertility soil, perhaps, and make sure the soil always spawns with some of these on it.  Just like how goldenrod indicated clay in TFC.   I would also suggest that the player be able to combine bony soil and medium soil, to make their own high fertility soil.  I think bony soil is rare enough this would not be game breaking.

I don't see why you guys care so much about high fertility soil. It doesn't change anything significantly. I mean maybe a little at the very beginning when you are short on food but that's it. I have almost half a stack I haven't used because medium farmland works just fine for me and is super plentiful. There's just not much of an advantage.

After some playing on server I realised that high fertility soil is quite valuable, even when medium soil can fulfil most needs.

It allows you to grow stuff quick if you really dont want to log off for few hours. Especially with flax, when constantly using bombs.

Also when you finally reach that moment when can build better farms, you will need new soil - farmland can't be moved.

Also locating the soil can be a reason for introdicing a new mini-game, i.e. like prospecting and such. Also another reason for exploring.

And status, yes. So I don't renounce my suggestion in any way :D

Archived