Longer day's / Shorter night's option

Dusk194

This is not possible, because Vintage Story correctly simulates latitude and seasons. And therefore, the day/night length depends on your latitude and season.

In summer, you're going to have longer days and shorter nights.
In winter, you're going to have shorter days and longer nights.

Where for the northern hemisphere, "summer" is defined as the 6-month period after the vernal equinox (second half of March), and "winter" is defined as the 6-month period after the autumnal equinox (second half of September). In the southern hemisphere, these will be flipped (-> hot and bright in December).

How much longer/shorter the day or night gets depends on your latitude - meaning, how far north or south you are. If you go close enough to a pole, you can have a midnight sun (24 hours daylight) in summer and a polar night (24 hours darkness) in winter. Meanwhile, if you are near an equator, you're going to have little difference between day and night all year round.

I dunno, I think it could still work. Just have a setting that makes days/nights last longer and applies a global multiplier or something. Like if you say you want days to last 50% longer, you'd have several days of midnight sun near the pole, but little change near the equator. 

Obviously this would be super weird, but hey, it might be fun.

On 1/31/2021 at 10:33 PM, Streetwind said:

This is not possible, because Vintage Story correctly simulates latitude and seasons. And therefore, the day/night length depends on your latitude and season.

In summer, you're going to have longer days and shorter nights.
In winter, you're going to have shorter days and longer nights.

Where for the northern hemisphere, "summer" is defined as the 6-month period after the vernal equinox (second half of March), and "winter" is defined as the 6-month period after the autumnal equinox (second half of September). In the southern hemisphere, these will be flipped (-> hot and bright in December).

How much longer/shorter the day or night gets depends on your latitude - meaning, how far north or south you are. If you go close enough to a pole, you can have a midnight sun (24 hours daylight) in summer and a polar night (24 hours darkness) in winter. Meanwhile, if you are near an equator, you're going to have little difference between day and night all year round.

oops: I have found answer in another thread:

If I have set polar-equator distance = 100 000 (in world config) where is the place a day takes 24 hours daylight ?

I have tested it: world with polar-equator distance = 100 000. Date: June 21. Coordinates -100000 (north) = 16 hours day; coordinates +100000 (south) = 10 hours day. Where is the place with 24 hours day/night?

If I move farther to the north or south, it seems zones winter/summer repeat cyclically. So If -100000 (north) has 16 hours day at June 21st, -300000 (more north) has winter (10 hours day). It seems zones are repeated every 400000 blocks with polar-equator distance = 100000. So no place with 24 hours day/night (?).

Am I right?

Edited by DrEngine

3 hours ago, DrEngine said:

oops: I have found answer in another thread:

If I have set polar-equator distance = 100 000 (in world config) where is the place a day takes 24 hours daylight ?

I have tested it: world with polar-equator distance = 100 000. Date: June 21. Coordinates -100000 (north) = 16 hours day; coordinates +100000 (south) = 10 hours day. Where is the place with 24 hours day/night?

If I move farther to the north or south, it seems zones winter/summer repeat cyclically. So If -100000 (north) has 16 hours day at June 21st, -300000 (more north) has winter (10 hours day). It seems zones are repeated every 400000 blocks with polar-equator distance = 100000. So no place with 24 hours day/night (?).

Am I right?

it depends on the angle the world is on, if its axis is less angled than earths axis it may happen at no point.

And seeing your findings the world is not a sphere therefore there shouldn't be a point with 24h days/nights even if the angle would be the same.

4 hours ago, Hal13 said:

it depends on the angle the world is on, if its axis is less angled than earths axis it may happen at no point.

And seeing your findings the world is not a sphere therefore there shouldn't be a point with 24h days/nights even if the angle would be the same.

I think you're speaking about real world. As we do have sphere world or flat world. And about real physics. Thats right then. But VS is software and author can simulate any behaviour independently on world shape. Even if our virtual world is flat (polar line - not point; repeated zones equator-polar line-equator-etc...), it isn't any reason to author to stick to it and he can simulate aby behaviour (for example 24 hours day/night on polar lines). And thats what I wanted to know... how it is designed/set in VS.

16 hours ago, DrEngine said:

Your test setup is incorrect. If you have pole-equator distance of 100k blocks, and you start in between the two, then traveling 100k blocks in either direction will not put you at the pole or equator. It will put you way past them. If you were to spawn in the exact middle between the two, then you would have to travel 50k in either direction, not 100k.

Polar days and nights are definitely a thing. Here's a video from the developer, showing it happening. There's also a coordinate display up, so you can see that the coordinate is definitely less than 100k.

But then again, we don't know the parameters of the world that was used for that video. And we don't know for sure if the world spawn/coordinate zero point for any given setting is exactly in the middle of pole and equator. A much better way to determine where exactly a pole or equator is, and how far you have to travel to get there, is to use the command '/wgen pos latitude' to read out your current position's latitude.

3 hours ago, Streetwind said:

Your test setup is incorrect. If you have pole-equator distance of 100k blocks, and you start in between the two, then traveling 100k blocks in either direction will not put you at the pole or equator. It will put you way past them. If you were to spawn in the exact middle between the two, then you would have to travel 50k in either direction, not 100k.

Polar days and nights are definitely a thing. Here's a video from the developer, showing it happening. There's also a coordinate display up, so you can see that the coordinate is definitely less than 100k.

But then again, we don't know the parameters of the world that was used for that video. And we don't know for sure if the world spawn/coordinate zero point for any given setting is exactly in the middle of pole and equator. A much better way to determine where exactly a pole or equator is, and how far you have to travel to get there, is to use the command '/wgen pos latitude' to read out your current position's latitude.

I supposed equator position is coordinate zero, where we do have spawn point. But thats not true. Our spawn is -47° N. It's a little bit tricky, you jump there and back repeatedly, but finally I have found both polar lines and equator coordinates. And 24 hour day/night works.

And now pure theorethical question: let we have two bases. One on the north, and second one on the south (lets say we can teleport easily). So we can exploit 24 hours light (half of the year on the north, and half of the year on the south). But both poles are cold (no way to plant anything). I wonder where is the sweet spot to get longer days and suitable temperature...

Edited by DrEngine

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.