New versions and old worlds, and other questions

Setimu

So I've put about 50 hours into a single player world after buying the game.  I've been browsing the website and the forums and looking into what we're expecting in the coming updates.  I see that updates are relatively frequent too, which is cool.

I am wondering what effect updates have on existing worlds.  Will my old world be stuck in 1.14.8? I can see how some things could easily be added to an existing world (e.g. new animals since those spawn).  Some things would be... harder (e.g. new objects that don't respawn, like new berry bushes or something) and then some things that couldn't possibly be added (e.g. oceans or other world gen stuff) so this made me wonder how updates affect established worlds, if at all.  It would be real nice if I could carry all of my hard-hoarded materials into the next update with me.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If you're still with me and feel like helping out a noob that doesn't feel like making multiple forum posts at once:

I am stuck in the copper age.  Prospecting is an absolute nightmare.  Coupled with the arrival of winter it has my desire to play waning whereas I put 50 hours into my world in a week before arriving at the prospecting pick.  I am inclined to not turn on the Node Search option because it's not default and I'd feel like I'm cheating.  I've read every forum post and watched a few videos on the subject to help me with this but I haven't located a single node of... anything.  I'd like to find a multiplayer server to play on eventually and I don't want to get used to Node Search just to find that I don't have it later and I'm stuck again how I am now.  Is Node Search considered a must-have by the community?  Any other tips or tricks anyone would like to share to help me to success?

Can I deconstruct and relocate Translocators?  I don't even want to strike the ONE I've found so far to find out.

Thanks in advance!  Any advice is welcome. :)

Minor updates don't have any effect on existing world. We did update several times from 1.13 to 1.14.8 and no any problem. You should allow remapping when asked after update (this procedure remaps blocks/items IDs if new version has changed anything). Don't avoid it !!!
It'll be world gen update somewhere in the future. This will probably have some effect on world gen and map continuity. I have asked what problems it could cause but no answer yet.

Node Search is elementary and really needed feature. Definitely no cheating. Turn it on. Look for other thread here concerning prospecting. It describes whole process in details.

No, it is not possible to relocate Translocator. However you can switch to creative mode and use Teleporter block.
We allowed to use Teleporter block on our multiplayer server. Every player can use one Teleporter (no distance limit, player should travel to both places of his teleport line). Teleporter is build by admins on demand and it costs 16 temporal gears one-time.

• Thanks 1

Wow, that is amazing that it can update an existing world like that.  Thank you, I never would've guessed!  One other question I should have asked, will there be some kind of display that a new version is out within the client?  I am spoiled by Steam and automatic updates.  Do we need to reinstall the client or does the client update itself?

as the world won't get generated as a whole, there are few problems with updating. Maybe there will be possibilies to get more berry bushes out of a single one and similar things. but new ores are not to be expected (there are way more metals in the game than planned to be used by vanilla mechanics). But yes, introducing oceans or similar big changes, when these happen it might be better to start a new world if your world is huge already, but maybe there is a way to just regenerate unpopulated but generated areas.

Edited by Hal13

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.