Why do holding torches cause your hunger to drop faster?

Floyyd

I tried googling but can't seem to find an answer. What exactly is the purpose of this? Because it doesn't seem to make any logical sense on the surface.

Also another question, how do you like holster what your holding? If all my quickslots are full I can't seem to figure out a way to put it away and can't find the keybind if there is one.

Edited by Nick DeStefano

If an item is selected in your hotbar, you hold that item in your hand. In order to put it away, you need to select a different hotbar slot. If that one is filled as well, you now hold that item. You need an empty hotbar slot to be able to hold nothing.

This is likely an intentional design decision, as it reduces the number of key presses the player has to perform to switch tools and/or items. Minecraft, which is a big inspiration for Vintage Story, also made that exact same design decision.

As for the torches - well, I'm not the developer, but I would guess that it's a game balance thing. When it is dark, there is a major difference between having to stop holding your torch in order to attack, and being able to hold your torch and attack. You're paying a little extra for that advantage. Additionally, what else would you put there, currently? If you remove that mechanic, you'd essentially say "here is a slot you can fill with a torch within one minute of spawning into the world and then forget it exists". There is no real player choice or interaction there - it's simply an automatic "you always have light" effect. In such a case, you might as well make players give off light by default and remove the offhand slot entirely. Torches and other light sources would only be used in base-building.

That doesn't sound particularly immersive or survival-y to me, personally.

With the added food drain mechanic, at least you have to think about whether or not you really need that torch there right now, in the middle of day. And you gain a tangible advantage from placing down fixed light sources in a cave, so you can switch to your weapon without holding a torch and still see your enemy. Which, in turn, plays into the whole 'torches burn out eventually' mechanic. People often don't bother lighting up caves, because it won't be permanent. But being able to see without holding a torch yourself is an added incentive to at least put down a little bit of lighting here and there.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Floyyd said:

I tried googling but can't seem to find an answer. What exactly is the purpose of this? Because it doesn't seem to make any logical sense on the surface.

Also another question, how do you like holster what your holding? If all my quickslots are full I can't seem to figure out a way to put it away and can't find the keybind if there is one.

Because of balance reasons

If you don't like it, you can use No Offhand Hunger Rate mod https://mods.vintagestory.at/show/mod/276

Edited by Craluminum

1 hour ago, Chris Hancock said:

Holding it up uses energy so naturally you'd get more hungry unlike a sword which you can have down by your side with a  relaxed arm a torch has to be held up right unless you wanna set your pants on fire

as the same mechanic applies to lanterns, which you could just hang from your belt, that can't be the reason. And i'd guess it's more the balancing thing Streetwind mentioned...

I hope we'll get some more uses for that slot, and maybe some craftable belt clothing with attached lantern, and the mechanic get's a revamp afterwards.

7 minutes ago, Hal13 said:

as the same mechanic applies to lanterns, which you could just hang from your belt, that can't be the reason. And i'd guess it's more the balancing thing Streetwind mentioned...

I hope we'll get some more uses for that slot, and maybe some craftable belt clothing with attached lantern, and the mechanic get's a revamp afterwards.

Im with you on the lantern thing but if you are holding it out in front of you then the same thing applies like with the torch

9 minutes ago, l33tmaan said:

Shields and dual-wielding spears when?

you don't actually want to dual-wield any weapon (okay maybe really short ones, up to bigger knifes and such), especially a weapon you need to wield with both hands to wield it efficiently (sure you throw it with only 1 hand, but in close quarter combat it's not a good idea).

but if we get baited angling, then it would be a possible way to implement it in a way to have a rod in your mainhand and the bait in the off hand.

Or maybe if you wanted to shoot your bow fast you'd have to have the arrows in you off hand or a quiver (same could work with throwing spears).

11 minutes ago, Chris Hancock said:

Im with you on the lantern thing but if you are holding it out in front of you then the same thing applies like with the torch

but as you don't need to hold the lantern in front of you, like with the sword you can just carry it in a more relaxed position, it's not reasonable that the sword (or any tool, including torches and other lightsources) in the mainhand wouldn't cause the same debuff. Therefore i think it's more to prevent overusing that slot as a permanent lightsource slot.

4 hours ago, Hal13 said:

you don't actually want to dual-wield any weapon (okay maybe really short ones, up to bigger knifes and such), especially a weapon you need to wield with both hands to wield it efficiently (sure you throw it with only 1 hand, but in close quarter combat it's not a good idea).

but if we get baited angling, then it would be a possible way to implement it in a way to have a rod in your mainhand and the bait in the off hand.

Or maybe if you wanted to shoot your bow fast you'd have to have the arrows in you off hand or a quiver (same could work with throwing spears).

but as you don't need to hold the lantern in front of you, like with the sword you can just carry it in a more relaxed position, it's not reasonable that the sword (or any tool, including torches and other lightsources) in the mainhand wouldn't cause the same debuff. Therefore i think it's more to prevent overusing that slot as a permanent lightsource slot.

In order to see directly ahead you do need to hold it up having it hang by your side would not only be hot and painful but would also obscure the light, also swords and stuff have high stamina usage when you actually use them so having them drain while holding would make tools and such unusable 

15 hours ago, Chris Hancock said:

In order to see directly ahead you do need to hold it up having it hang by your side would not only be hot and painful but would also obscure the light, also swords and stuff have high stamina usage when you actually use them so having them drain while holding would make tools and such unusable 

you would only not run around holding them, but like i wrote: lightsources in the mainhand don't apply that debuff, if it would be you need to constantly hold them away from you, then they should apply that debuff no matter if they are hold in mainhand or offhand. and belt lanterns and minerhelmets are/were a thing, so why would hanging the lantern from your relaxed arm be hot and painful? Especially when seraphs can hold metal that's glowing white up to 1300°C hot with their bare hands.

Edited by Hal13

48 minutes ago, Hal13 said:

you would only not run around holding them, but like i wrote: lightsources in the mainhand don't apply that debuff, if it would be you need to constantly hold them away from you, then they should apply that debuff no matter if they are hold in mainhand or offhand. and belt lanterns and minerhelmets are/were a thing, so why would hanging the lantern from your relaxed arm be hot and painful? Especially when seraphs can hold metal that's glowing white up to 1300°C hot with their bare hands.

I never said a relaxed arm would hurt. Anyway the post asked why and I simply gave a logical answer holding up a light source would use energy therefore hunger drain, from a game play perspective i dont see a reason for it to be a thing though, however if they want it to be a thing then sure make it consistent and have it drain hunger in the main hand to.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.