Ruins should be (not all) but with a 50% rate scary

RobinHood

Ruins should be (not all) but with a 50% (or adjustable rate) scary, scary with dungeons / catacaombs and other mobs, maybe like in RETURN OF CASTLE WOLFENSTEIN ;)

I real miss such sitiutions - like this -

But without heavy guns, just with VS / weapons ;)

Edited by RobinHood

VS is no action game and no dedicated single player game, and i don't think Wolfenstein is scary at all, but i don't see whatever you wanted to show after "- like this -" either, therefore i have to speculate what you mean with scary, as you didn't write anything describing what you mean...

Ruins can only be scary until someone took everything from there, after which ruin specific mobs look out of place to others and scripted jumpscares are lame when there is nothing to hide it. But jumpscares as a whole are boring annoying childsplay in my opinion. I mean they work only if you make them inconsistent, something technical players hate, or restrict player movement, which isn't really possible in a game where you can just dig away everything, and tend to get more and more annoying fast even when implemented somewhat decently (will the same jumpscare after hundreds of times still be interesting? VS is intended to be able to be played for thousands of hours not only a few dozen).

And undead rising from their graves isn't much better either, for one, they don't really fit, even a t800 would be more fitting than zombies or skeletons in my opinion and second what would count as graves?

And of course if anything is even remotely "scary" depends on the persons fears. There are people that get terrified by minecrafts spiders.

But of course until now only structures are implemented, that are connected to people, there might be some structures coming at some point, that are connected to otherworldly horrors.

Edited by Hal13
  • Like 1

God, I hate minecraft spiders. Partially because I don't like spiders, mostly because they're so hard to get away from if you aren't ready. I had to restructure an entire town just because the wall we made didn't actually keep the damn things out.

That being said, I don't really see what's so scary about the video... it's a zombie shooting gallery. It might be spooky if VS had enemies that could tear down walls. A dungeon would be a lot scarier if you aggro'd an enemy on the other side of the wall and then it started banging at it to destroy it. Or if it just phased through walls altogether. Maybe some treasures attract temporal monsters to its location, incentivizing leaving it alone or building an entire prison to contain it. I dunno, I'm mostly spitballing.

• Like 2

I find wolves here in VS scary enough ;) - I but wish me bit more the same thrill. Okay, I still wasn't in caves a lot. sry :)

I played also a bit Minetest and Exile, silverfishes there are scary, and a good starting meal. But Exile is a one man project.Minetest (Exile is a nice Mod / Mineclone too), after this I buyed Minecraft, now I fall in love with Vintage Story, its very cool - and here a link to minetest/exile -
https://forum.minetest.net/viewtopic.php?t=24334

Edited by RobinHood

For me scary is ambience not monsters or jumpscares. Vintage story is great at making tension in caves using music and sounds. Turn music off and caves aren't so scary anymore. :) Similar experience i had in  S.T.A.L.K.E.R game, which i loved too. That ambience is amazing. Best things to be afraid are the one's game puts in your head. One of them is that you will have to come here again to get your stuff back if something goes wrong. :D I wouldn't judge ruins by the ones on surface only. Once found some ruins underground it's a whole different experience, as you start collecting stuff, get inventory full and start hearing some drifters already spawning in cave, you came from..so you start thinking that going back won't be so easy...and you even have some more stuff to lose now. :) That is scary experience for me in Vintage Story. An i have been in such situations many times in this game, yet it always keep me worried and i am so happy once i get out alive. :) 

Just to ilustrate i would add video from GGbeyond, where he enters cave at 8:55 or 19:40. SPOILER ALERT for those who haven't met bell yet!

Spoiler

How music and atmosphere changes! How he is "happy" to meet the bell later (25:14)! :) Love caves in this game! :)

Edited by Domkrats
  • Like 1

Hi, self-professed coward here. I cannot play with the music on for VS. I cannot, I frankly can't with a lot of games, my imagination is plenty capable of messing with me without the added joy of Tension (TM) atmosphere music queuing up at random. Just no.

One person's scary is another person's yawn, as folks have already noted. That said, things that I think would universally upset the normal of a lot of players would be mobs that can interfere/interact with your hot bar items. Do you need your sword to attack the mob? TOO BAD! It's not where you put it. Gosh, it's awful dark in here, it would be a shame if SOMEONE MOVED YOUR LIGHT SOURCE TO YOUR BAG. Imagine, taking damage from a mob that has a percent chance of messing with your stuff in such a way that it makes seeing it and fighting it effectively more difficult. It doesn't have to be necessarily strong physically, but the sheer level of threat that this thing is taking your power and control of the situation away would have, I think, people noping away from it as fast as possible.

yes, you are right. Scary also e.g. thunderstorm, with lightnings -. I didnt see that here yet in VS. maybe one a day? there is an opensource minecraft clone, minetest - and its mods (game in game) mineclone-mod has scary thunderstorms, esp. in the night, scary also there the silverfishes in Exile, they are very often and they attacks you with small but ugly hits. worth a try, but VS for me still the best sandbox game ;)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.