Armor healing penalty and death

Joe F

Forgive me if this has been discussed elsewhere, I did a couple searches and didn't find anything.

I'm relatively new to the game and I've found it really frustrating that if I die while wearing armor, the healing penalty from the armor affects my health when I respawn.  It makes it that much harder to go back and get my stuff, and it seems needlessly punishing.  Is this a design choice, or just some oddity of the way the game handles respawning? If it's the latter, is there a plan to change it in the future?

...and in the 17 minutes since I posted this, after like a dozen attempts to get my stuff back, 3 of my backpacks and most of the stuff on my action bar despawned, but the bell that calls a dozen locusts and tainted/corrupted drifters down on me didn't. (I can't just grab my stuff and run, there's a small drop that I can't climb up and they kill me faster than I can get my gear and build anything to get out. And now all of my ladders are gone anyway.)

When I respawn, my health bar refills based on the armor I'm wearing.  So, if no armor, full health.  If I'm wearing full Gambeson when I die, I'll spawn with like half health. Full tinbronze plate and I respawn with about a third.

insert the command:

/worldconfig deathPunishment keep

in the chat to keep your items upon death. if you don't like corpserunning to recover your items but also don't want to keep your inventory for the sake of challenge there was a mod which store your inventory in a skeleton upon death:

https://www.vintagestory.at/forums/topic/3784-player-corpse/?tab=comments#comment-15850

(you must drag the Zip file in the mod folder of the game to add a mod)

Edited by Daskarion

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.