Temporal gear in inventory revives you in place

heptagonrus

What if when you have a temporal gear in your inventory, it adds to the death screen an option to revive you right in place, giving you immortality for 20-ish seconds, to let you get your gear and run away?

One gear disappears from the inventory if you selected this option.

If you do this, I recommend giving the option on the death screen to use up the gear (to do whatever you're suggesting) instead of automatically doing so, in case it's not something you want to do. There could be a little timer that ticks down giving you the option to respawn (as a ghost?), keeping a floaty ghostly temporal gear at your grave to signify to other players that you're still choosing - which could not be picked up by them either, during that time. Perhaps one could also throw a gear on the corpse of a player if they didn't have one to give them that option after the fact (of their death).

I don't particularly like the idea of cheap instant revives. Though when playing with other (derpy) players, it can be nice to have this option instead of having to possibly walk a looong distance to be able to meet up again.

Instead, I would prefer a selective respawn system. For example with beds. But on the respawn screen the player would be able to select which bed to respawn. My idea is that when on a long exploration journey the player would set camp and build a provisory small shelter, where he would have a bed with a few emergency supplies. So if he dies he would at least respawn close and hopefully get back to where his body is.

In a Multiplayer/server environment, we could have something similar to a Hotel, where each player would have a room with a bed and chest.

In single player, the player could also build several shelters and upon death choose the closest to respawn.

I agree with making it expensive. Not exactly advocating making changing the spawn point cheap, but it would be a better way to ease the tax on death while exploring far from your base.

If you are 3000 blocks away from your base and die, you will not just lose a whole bunch of good tools, you will also lose all the resources that you gathered on the way. It's frustrating to the point that many players would not even bother in trying to go back that far. Hence making it possible for the player, once he is well advanced in the tech tree to create multiple spawn points, even if very expensive would encourage longer trips to even farther points on the map. 

Not needed now, as we are able to gather all the resources in a 500 block radius as the game stands now. 

@copygirll, @tony Liberatto, temporal gear is not cheap. I have 4 spare after quite a  long play only because I have no use for them. If my suggestion would be implemented in some form, I would have zero gears already.

Also all the awesome ideas like shelters are great, but they require lot of investment, while updating already existing mechanics might be cheaper and would be a good solution until the ultimate  rework of respawn mechanics. :-P

Archived