Are the night skies and stars consistent?

Umbrus

Title. I was wondering if the night sky and stars are the same after every night? Could we have Vintage Story Astronomy, or the in game equivalent of a North Star to help us find our way?(Even if a bit unnecessary given the mini map). Or maybe constellations to see, although those people create themselves.

Is the sky randomized every night, or determined with the seed of the world? It would be fantastic to have a unique sky to look up at every night as I stand on a  few block high pillar while on my journey to find a desert.

Are any of the things I described currently in the game, and if not, what are your opinions on implementing them?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The map and mini map makes navigating the world simply too easy and not very immersive as it currently works, so we opted to turn it and coordinates off on our server.  That leaves us with very few options for navigating the game world though.

Astronomy would be fantastic- A dynamic night sky with starts, planets and constellations that changed and moved with the seasons, and perhaps another moon or two that moved in their courses as well.  Maybe even add a smaller second sun that rose and set in it's own course, but slow enough that perhaps it was not visible every day, and sometimes led to shorter, less dark nights.

One could learn to navigate by such things if there was a consistent pattern to their movement in the sky both day and night.

Would also be neat to tie temporal storms to the movement of a second sun and moons and such.  Maybe even have larger temporal events when certain things aligned.

• Like 4

Adding on a related idea, why not have a few consistent celestial bodies that grow larger and smaller as days pass(in a form of mock orbit) and represent/determine seasonal changes on the world to reflect the celestial cycle.

Something of a celestial, year long clock that generally tells you when a seasonal change is coming.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Umbrus said:

Adding on a related idea, why not have a few consistent celestial bodies that grow larger and smaller as days pass(in a form of mock orbit) and represent/determine seasonal changes on the world to reflect the celestial cycle.

Something of a celestial, year long clock that generally tells you when a seasonal change is coming.

I'd seek a mod that disabled the hud clock/calendar features if we had astronomy that worked in the ways suggested here.

• Like 1

While we're on the topic of astronomy, I would like to see  unusual events occur, such as comets appearing for a week or two at time rarely or meteor showers on an annual schedule.  But those are fluff items that can be added after devs have mostly finished the major content (oceans and boats please?)

• Like 4

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.