Merchandising and Charity events

Stroam

If the community showed interest in a limited run of VS merchandise it'd be a neat way to raise a little money and extra can given away as prizes for VS events or as convention swag. The thing that works against VS is drifters aren't cute, and none of the animals are highly stylized so if you got a wolf plushie it would be difficult to distinguish it from all the other wolf plushies on the market. I think a locust nightlight might also have the opposite effect you are trying to go for in a nightlight.

However, charity events are always popular and a great way to advertise. Recently people were discussing how the game gives wolves a bad name. Maybe at some point in the future could get a popular twitch streamer to try out the game with a percentage of all donations and purchases of the game at that time going towards a wolf conservation project. Would need some sort of real-time indicator that shows on the stream how much money has been raised for the cause.

Charity updates could also be a thing. Essentially an update that everyone gets when a certain amount of money has been raised for a charity with a percentage of the money raised going back into development. So let's say you release an update that updates cooking. At that time some new dishes are locked behind a charity event that raises money for starving kids in Africa. Once the goal has been reached the new content gets unlocked for everyone.

I don't really think Minecraft Creepers are cute.  In fact, most of the Minecraft Mobs aren't cute.  It's in how they're m-a-d-e that makes them cute.  Not to step on toes, but I think first and foremost, t-shirts would be the best way to both advertise and go into merchandising for Vintage Story.  Twitch has a whole section for artistic types (Twitch>Browse>Creative).  Right there you can see the various groups who could have a go at making something for VS.  Not sure what the contest prizes would be--other than exposure and a free game or having something named after them (like a food dish or style of furniture).  Drawings, paintings, etc. in one category.  Music--not to knock the current tunes, they're far better than Minecraft's basics--but maybe options for tracks available.  Sort of like a music mod of various tracks or a scroll down menu in vanilla with various themes.  Cooks in another category making recipes with photos of the finished meal using the various foods available.  Miniature creators from the various categories like sculpting, 3DModeling, glass, etc.  Again, I don't want to step on any toes of current creators of both vanilla and modded VS, though.  But these are ideas I'm throwing out there with my two cents.  Add in that some of the proceeds go to this charity or that and word of mouth will spread.

• 2 months later...

Hi I just started playing a few days ago and am hooked completely! I own a small engraving and embroidery company and have already been trying to think of things we could make. I’d be curious to find out about merchandising in general. Would you devs be up for that? It would be smaller scale runs...i have access to large run promo stuff but when you get to that point you can make better deals directly with big companies (I assume).

I will post some examples later, we do just about everything - t-shirts, hats, & hoodies. Water bottles, keychains, mugs etc., LED lit acrylic signs. (It gets difficult when it comes to making local ads and such heh) I've been experimenting a lot with laser cut MDF which I can use to make small signs, keychains etc and we're getting a UV printer next week which really might open up the cool stuff - print in full color right on MDF, then put it in the laser and cut out the shapes.

Don't judge me by our website heh - one day I'll get it updated.

IMG_20180928_125642.jpg

MVIMG_20180824_161001.jpg

IMG_20180824_131913.jpg

MVIMG_20180817_134207.jpg

Archived