Is it supposed to be pitch black at night?

Orgull

Just started playing, having trouble figuring out how to do things. By the time I figured out how to make a knife and cut grass it's dark out. I can't see anything at all. I've turned the gamma up to max but I still can't see anything besides the occasional patch of stars overhead. Is it supposed to be this dark?

I finally figured out I'm supposed to make a fire pit but all I've been able to do so far is put some grass on the ground. The wiki and help leave out basic stuff, like when I have 14 reeds, how do I get only two reeds into the crafting area (to make a basket, like the wiki suggest)? Also I've placed grass all over the ground (as fire pits) how can I pick them back up again? I kept trying to "fuel" the fire but it just kept placing more fire pits. And I can't start the fire pits either.

It took me all of the first day just to figure out how to make a knife and cut grass. It it supposed to be this hard to figure things out? Did I miss a tutorial or something?

EDIT: I MADE FIRE :D

Thanks!

Edited by Orgull

Welcome to VS!

Yes, nights are dark without light.  First day tasks are stones (flint or obsidian), sticks and 64 reeds (40 for creating your 1st tier inventory & 24 for a storage basket).  Sticks and stones for tools (knife and axe) so that you can gather reeds and some firewood for your first night.  A shovel is advisable if monsters do not have delayed spawning.

The handbook (press 'H') has a lot of info in it, such as crafting "recipes".  If you hover over an item in your inventory (and I believe target a block in the world) and press H the handbook will bring up info about that item or block, including items that can be crafted from it.

Thanks Maelstrom! 

Hovering and pressing H is VERY helpful.

Also finally figured out how to split stacks by right clicking. Is there a more precise, more efficient way?

My fire kept going out. I figured out it needed cover overhead and now I've got one going next to a dirt hill with an overhang! I am not used to thinking this hard to play a game ha ha. It's interesting though.

• Like 1

You can click and drag in the crafting grid to evenly distribute items across multiple spaces (for example, hold a stack of reeds and click and drag slowly around the outside cells of the crafting grid will drop 8 reeds in each slot to make a couple of baskets). You can also right-click to drop just one item at a time in each space.

The game does have a steep learning curve for a newcomer but the handbook will explain most things, and you can always ask more questions here. :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Yep, one of the most important basics, namely "how to use the inventory and crafting grid", isn't described ANYWHERE! It's very frustrating for new players, and I also was nearly to give up for that reason. Only a YT player kept me in, as he explained these mechanics with "quite simple, same as in Minecraft". Well, not everybody has played minecraft, including me. I only found some explanation over there, at Minecraft...  Why the hell, WHY!? I'm not interested in Minecraft!!!  :)

It took me also nearly 100 hours to figure out, that you can SHIFT Click an item (stack) to another inventory.

And it took me over 400 hours to read a comment under a YT video, which said: You can exchange items with your offhand by the "x" key.

Hope, I could help at least you, or some other players here with these quite important infos.

BTW: Sliding down a ladder is done w/ pressing SHIFT.

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.