Glass making

Fredrik Blomquist

with a lot to work on, this might be something a bit down the line, but with the elaborate metallurgy of the game, i think glass making should be a little bit more evolved. In the game you use quartz bits in a melting oven. That requires really high temperature and gives modern quartz glass, and not the way to historically make glass.

Historically you usually used quartz sand - and later crushed quartz. You mix that with sodium carbonate (soda ash) for - sodium-lime glass or with potash for bohemian glass to lower the melting point. You also need some sort of lime as stabilizer. Most of these components are already in the game.

You don't get glass as blocks to cut eighter, but blowing glass might be harder to replicate in an easy way in the game. But i still think changing the components of glass making would do a lot to the immersion for me.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/12/2021 at 4:31 PM, Omega Haxors said:

The minigame related to glassblowing would probably be really fun too.

Yes. I'm not sure how to make it work though. IRL, with glass making you usually make a large bubble you then modify, hard to make in to a minigame. But i guess you don't need to focus on how it works irl. But i was thinking about the real medieval way of making glass widows - making a large circular disc - and then cutting pieces out of it. The central uneven piece where the glass was attached was the "cheap" piece (in swedish its translated "oxen eye"), that where used in simple widows, and where not that clear. The outside pieces where often semicircular which meant that shape of widows often where used. It could be part of the game to cut out your glass pieces and then customize your window with the pieces you want. It would do for some interesting customization of your own windows. Might be a bit complicated but if someone finds time to introduce it i think it could be a nice thing.

Another thing i was thinking about was shutters. For a while they had winds in the game, and they talked about bringing it back. What if strong winds could destroy your windows and shutters could save them? I know a lot of players make sort of "fake" shutters on their builds, but it could be nice if the game had real shutters and they really fill a function.

• Like 2

Glass blowers can use molds to facilitate quick production. You would take the molten bubble at the end of a tube and place it in a 2 piece mold, and then blow the bubble into the mold to make items such as bottles or jars. Free blowing glass becomes quite complicated though, as it relies on spinning the workpiece and pressing mandrels or tongs into it, cutting it with pliers, fusing new glass pieces onto it, etc. Maybe the devs will introduce a "lathe" system where you build a type of workbench and when you right click on it, you automatically spin the item and you then have to press tools into it to form the item. Quite complicated, but it could at least to used in other industries.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Sorry to bump this thread over two years later, but I adore the idea of being able to fabricate glass in an alternative way to just molding it for window pane use.
What spurred the idea on was seeing the use of olivine, amethyst, and rose quartz to make colored glass. I know that historically people discovered that the use of certain element oxides and other compounds would create the pigments they would use for, say, stained glass windows.

My suggestion at least in that regard is to incorporate more chromatology into the creation of the glass during the melting phase, so regular glass can remain more or less the same but getting creative with glass coloration and shaping (for more intricate lamps decorations and otherwise) would incorporate unique workstations, tools, and expending of certain minerals. Alternatively, there IS dye, and seeing Cinnabar be a viable dye option (despite the toxicity which may be superseded by Seraphine "natural" resistances) could already be incorporated into the process.

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.