Questions About Husbandry

Malfiros
Go to solution Solved by Brady_The,

In the wiki it states:

Animals can consume food from 0.6 blocks away and mate at a distance of up to 10 blocks away.

With this distance, will animals breed through walls, fences, gates/doors? If male/female animals are penned separately but side by side, would they breed through the separation?

Also, will hares that are captured in a pit or other means despawn if there is still sufficient lighting? Will they lose weight over time? Being that they aren’t able to be domesticated and hence cannot be fed, the idea is to have a pen or rabbits (or even wolves) on hand to butcher as needed. Anyone have more info on this?

2 hours ago, Malfiros said:

If male/female animals are penned separately but side by side, would they breed through the separation?

This is an impractical idea in general, because filled troughs cause nearby animals to want to eat from them. If an animal from pen A gets the bright idea that it must eat from the trough in pen B, it may start throwing itself against the separating fence until it eventually gltiches through.

...Or, at least, that's how it was so far. 1.15.6 is bringing some unspecified improvements to trough feeding behavior. Unsure if it addresses this. Will require testing after the patch goes stable.

Chickens go for small throughs and other animals for large ones. So you can have chickens pretty much anywhere, they don't get in the way. But if you have a sheep pen right next to a pig pen, and put in feed that both of them like, there's a risk. I mean, it's not guaranteed to go wrong immediately, but I have seen this behavior happen when I tried to subdivide my sheep pen so that only the "correct" generations had access to the trough. At some point, the other sheep went crazy.

• 2 weeks later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.