Animal Husbandry in stone age (Trough - from tree trunk, Henbox - from sticks)

daretmavi

It would be great to be able to make trough without metal (saw), because animals can be feed only from trough and it is not available in stone age.
It is actually easy enough to make trough from tree trunk with axe, or knife.

I like to stay in stone age as long as possible, I want to make some farmland, bred some animals, ... and if I can survive, than move to next age.
But animal husbandry is actually behind the trough (metal) gate.
Henbox is the same. Henbox could be made from sticks and ... .

Maybe some less effective version, but something.

• Like 1

That seems modding territory, honestly. I get your sentiment of wanting to play in the stone age, but Vintage Story is not meant to be a stone age simulator. It has a backstory (only rudimentary implemented right now, but planned to become more impotant in future updates), and the world it is set in is in an early renaissance type era. The player uses stone-age methods at the beginning to get started, since they spawn without any tools; but they already have all the knowledge necessary to create and work steel. They just need to prepare the setup required for it.

(And then there's game design considerations, like having an engaging progression system that motivates you to reach the next stage of civilization and unlock the new tools and blocks it brings.)

If you're looking specifically for expanded stone age content, you'll likely have to rely on the modding community. There's already multiple mods out there right now that expand on primitive techniques and items, such as Ancient Tools.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Streetwind said:

That seems modding territory, honestly. I get your sentiment of wanting to play in the stone age, but Vintage Story is not meant to be a stone age simulator.

I don't really want a stone age simulator, I just want to see what stone age can offer to me a survive like 1 year with it (it depends on possibilities).

21 hours ago, Streetwind said:

(And then there's game design considerations, like having an engaging progression system that motivates you to reach the next stage of civilization and unlock the new tools and blocks it brings.)

Yes, I know, but some game design decision seem weird to me.
I don't like things they are forcing me to progress, only to progress. I like slow progression, I don't need everything right now.

I like this game because it is hard and with kind of more realistic approach.
But ... feeding animals only from troughs and henbox created from boards forcing you to use metal tools is somehow not right.

2 hours ago, daretmavi said:

I like slow progression, I don't need everything right now.

Well, I'd say that animal husbandry is something you really don't need in stone age. You actually don't need it at all. So if you want to see what stone is like in this game, then...hunter and gatherer it is, and you can even start cultivating crops as the next cultural step. Animal husbandy is a nice addition later, but kind of unnecessary and more of a luxury thing, so it's okay that you have to kind of earn it and can't just start it on the first day in the game.

1 hour ago, junawood said:

Well, I'd say that animal husbandry is something you really don't need in stone age. You actually don't need it at all. So if you want to see what stone is like in this game, then...hunter and gatherer it is, and you can even start cultivating crops as the next cultural step. Animal husbandy is a nice addition later, but kind of unnecessary and more of a luxury thing, so it's okay that you have to kind of earn it and can't just start it on the first day in the game.

I don't need it, but I would like to have it 🤩
As I saw chickens, rabits, ... my fist thought was - How can I catch them? ... meat reservoir ... breeding-more meat 🤑

The point is, that feeding animals is behind the metal gate, which is ... strange.

• Like 1

I feel the same way about many of the technologies (flour/bread being gated behind copper tech is bizarre), as I also like to stay in the stone age as long as possible. To be honest, I sometimes just creativemode in grindstones and feed troughs, because I want those aspects of the game but I don't enjoy the copper or bronze age nearly as much as I do the stone. I've maintained for a while that adding in less effective versions of most metal-gated items would vastly improve the early game, and allow players like us to hang out in the stone age as long as we like.

However. The impression I've gotten from both the game itself and the forums is that players aren't supposed to want to stay in the stone age for any real length of time, and the development that's being planned is focused far more on adding more technology to later ages than on adding tech to the stone age.

All of this to say: if both the devs and the vast majority of players on the forum think of the stone age as something to get through, rather than something to enjoy and take one's time with, I doubt that we'll be seeing any real improvements to stone age QoL :(

• Like 2

Maybe we should make a survey on this topic. Sounds interesting to know what the community thinks in general about "hanging out in the stone age". I personally agree on most of design decisions regarding this topic, while animal hospitary per hand feeding sounds logical to me for Stoneagers.

Me and my girlfriend are making plans on doing a stone age Holly day season, where we leave behind all technology and start a new life in a far distant part of the map, for exactly the reason of stone age nostalgia. Seeing more features to support that playstyle could lead to wonderful ideas. 

• Like 3

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.