Minecarts & Boats

John Wilson

Roadmap already has something like that planned, but: Roadmap - Vintage Story

Disclaimer: We do not make any promises when or how many of these features will be implemented. We are very eager to see these features in-game ourselves though. Also completing the entire list in its full glory would probably take us over 10 years of game development.

Could you explain why such options are needed for you in this game? Because i have played for quite a while. Game doesn't have huge oceans yet. Land surface isn't so straight  to have rails. Also if every small tool needs recources, i could only imagine having rail system only in huge multiplayer server, where players could invest many metal for that together, thus making connections between their builds. In single player such thing could be unnecesarry for most players - only as option in creative mode maybe.

Water traveling by digging some canals would be an option but water physics wouldn't always let you expand water too much from source so that could be a problem.

Maybe some cart (driven with horse, bull or mechanical machine (temporal or Rail handcar option) with possibility to move only across more or less straight surface, thus needing to make roads. I wouldn't want to see some strange possibility to move with horse straight up on hill as it is in minecraft personally :). Simply moving minecarts would be strange as well i think.

If need for that is means of transportation, teleports already is an option. I think this should only be expanded with possibility of finding teleport blueprints (same as scrolls or books) in ruins or braking the ones we find for parts, thus letting us to make own teleports where needed later in game.

Edited by Domkrats

12 hours ago, Maelstrom said:

Consider that there is effectively 1.5 people coding the game currently.

This is something, what devs have to consider.

Suggestions are something like brainstorming.

Devs must decide (if they read it) if they want to implement it, or what effort does it mean.

13 hours ago, Maelstrom said:

Consider that there is effectively 1.5 people coding the game currently.

I've even made some suggestions to address that problem. Hopefully @Tyron  will listen some day.
Two ore three more programmers wouldn't be the problem if the product sells a little better. Public recognition of  Vintage Story is near zero. Advertise it just a little, so you can hire more people. Integrate code from the community. Don't try to do all the stuff alone, share the work, have trust in the people! You don't have to take the bitter deal with steam, you can do it through social media. Youtube would be the best place for this. The game is ready for the next step, I'm sure.

Sorry. Felt necessary to mention... again.

I'd say perhaps a simple raft would do to traverse medium to large bodies of water. And if the world generation ever gets to the point where oceans are a thing, I would then agree that maybe a simple row boat idea would suffice.
The raft and/or row boat would primarily be used to traverse the waters and avoid getting soaked. Especially in the winter days, you tend to avoid waters because of the soaking de-buff and quick body temperature drop thereafter.
Though that's more of a vanity thing I think? You can always dig for more dirt blocks to bridge yourself across a lake, or work on a very elaborate and amazing bridge design.
But it would be a nice and interesting alternative to avoid making bridges, and stay dry.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.