Meteors.

Windego
Go to solution Solved by junawood,

So here's a cracker, and probably an old question frequently asked by others..

Meteors. I know they're random. Often given away by surface suevite rocks..
They're rare at that.

But aside the surface rocks as indicators... Is there any other real definitive sign that a meteorite rock is underneath the surface of a dirt layer?
I've often heard people mention they can also be given away by the shame they made in the ground, so you'd have to look for small 'dents' in the ground and try your luck.
But keeping that in mind, is there a set shape someone would be looking for in particular?
Because as worlds generate, you'd probably see tons of 'dents' in the ground but no meteorite in sight.

This is more of a question to every single one of you whom has spend a good majority of time locating and harvesting meteor crash sites.
If you have any pictures... Please post them here. It may also be useful for others with the same questions in the future, so they can look back on this and identify impact areas via pictures.

Thank you in advance to all!

• Like 1

Look for one block deep "flat" round dents that don't really match the rest of the landscape. The bigger ones can also have an additional dent exactly in the middle. Smaller ones can be just a cross of five blocks. Sometimes the shape is a bit distorted by hills and things like that, but you can often still see that there's a dent where it shouldn't be or it looks a bit too round for what you'd expect.

• Like 5

10 hours ago, junawood said:

Look for one block deep "flat" round dents that don't really match the rest of the landscape. The bigger ones can also have an additional dent exactly in the middle. Smaller ones can be just a cross of five blocks. Sometimes the shape is a bit distorted by hills and things like that, but you can often still see that there's a dent where it shouldn't be or it looks a bit too round for what you'd expect.

I'm curious how long a person would need to hone their land generation identification skills to spot when a dent is out of place.
How many have you been able to spot this way?

• Like 1

• Solution

Well, I can't tell you how many meteorites I've already found, because.... way too many to count. 😄 Could be around 100 now, maybe more. And a lot of that was before we needed an iron anvil to hammer meteorite iron, so I could completely play without normal iron and just use meteorite iron. Now I often don't even mark it on the map when I see one. Because you can only use meteorite iron when you already have normal iron, and when you have normal iron, meteorite iron is not really that interesting anymore. And that's a bit sad, because it was really fun getting something special and really useful with the ability to find meteorites easily. It was a nice alternative to finding normal iron and it was really fun exploring and trying to find enough meteorite iron pieces to start working with it. And now it's just...

Anyway... I didn't have any screenshots, so here are the first four meteorites I could find in a test world in a couple of minutes now, and they show at least a little bit of what the dents can look like. In the third picture you can see a meteorite dent on the right, and while the left dent looks just as out of place as the other one, it's not round and not a meteorite. You can often see these forms on the map, especially when it's white during winter or in sand or gravel areas. The green on the map is now a lot grainier than it used to be so it's harder to spot there.

meteorites.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, junawood said:

Well, I can't tell you how many meteorites I've already found, because.... way too many to count. 😄 Could be around 100 now, maybe more. And a lot of that was before we needed an iron anvil to hammer meteorite iron, so I could completely play without normal iron and just use meteorite iron. Now I often don't even mark it on the map when I see one. Because you can only use meteorite iron when you already have normal iron, and when you have normal iron, meteorite iron is not really that interesting anymore. And that's a bit sad, because it was really fun getting something special and really useful with the ability to find meteorites easily. It was a nice alternative to finding normal iron and it was really fun exploring and trying to find enough meteorite iron pieces to start working with it. And now it's just...

Anyway... I didn't have any screenshots, so here are the first four meteorites I could find in a test world in a couple of minutes now, and they show at least a little bit of what the dents can look like. In the third picture you can see a meteorite dent on the right, and while the left dent looks just as out of place as the other one, it's not round and not a meteorite. You can often see these forms on the map, especially when it's white during winter or in sand or gravel areas. The green on the map is now a lot grainier than it used to be so it's harder to spot there.

meteorites.jpg

This is the in-depth answer I was looking for, including the pictures. This'll help not only me in identifying the spots easier but also anyone and everyone else out there who's interested in finding meteoric iron.
Thank you!

• 2 years later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.