Porriage issue, knitting and cross stitches!

Derp

The porridge comment was more that it should take water to craft, as a porridge that doesn't require water is unrealistic and immersion breaking.

It's not a serious game breaking issue, but it's one of those minor details that'd be nice to have addressed at some point.

Water is used in the soup recipe, and nothing else. Considering that the cooking pot only has 4 slots, using one for water reduces the maximum nutritional value of the meal by 25%, so requiring all the meal recipes to use water would substantially reduce the maximum buff you can get from meals as well as the amount of nutrition you can store in crocks.

Stews and meat are generally made without water in real life, however.

Porridge, not so much.

I mean, when I make oatmeal in real life, it's 4:1 ratio of water to oats in terms of volume. That's not exactly a trivial component.

Edited by Ashery

1 hour ago, Ashery said:

Stews and meat are generally made without water in real life, however.

Porridge, not so much.

I mean, when I make oatmeal in real life, it's 4:1 ratio of water to oats in terms of volume. That's not exactly a trivial component.

The thing is, the seraphs don't need water, they don't have to drink. It been suggested to ad this, untill then, it feels kind of pointless to add water to porridge. And to add the need for water, i think thevgame need to make that water at least sometimes hard to come by, if it should make any point. Stews need water (or at least somefluid), to boil meat you need water.

Yeah, if we were to stick to realism, it would make more sense if in general, water (or other liquid, like wine) was required for ALL cooking except for maybe jams. A cookpot should just not work without some liquid at all. In theory, they could add another extra slot to the cooking interface: an extra slot for liquids. Bare minimum: One unit of water, four slots for other ingredients. Wine/ale/milk could be also used instead of water and add some nutritional value of their own. More water would make soups which increases the amount of portion at lower nutritional value. That could make for an interesting

It would also probably need to make a change to how the jugs work and allow you to transfer water to the cookpot more easily without buckets.

I'm not sure if adding the necessity to drink would REALLY add anything more interesting to the gameplay itself. At least not until something like status (health, sickness, poison) mechanic would be added with it. Which I hope they do. At this point, eating spoiled food does nothing but decrease the nutrient effect. Causing sickness could be interest,

What I would like to see with that is actually an element of seassoning. Salt and herbs could add a lot of additional recipes and systems into the game. Some seasoning could for an example, negate the sickness otherwise caused  by the food being spoiled and so on. 

There is a lot of space to play with in the cooking system from a mechanical perspective, honestly. It's cool as it is, but some elements of it end up being a bit too OP and trivializes the survval somewhat. 

15 hours ago, Karel Vranovský said:

It would also probably need to make a change to how the jugs work and allow you to transfer water to the cookpot more easily without buckets.

[...]

What I would like to see with that is actually an element of seassoning. Salt and herbs could add a lot of additional recipes and systems into the game. Some seasoning could for an example, negate the sickness otherwise caused  by the food being spoiled and so on.

You can already add water to a cookpot using a bowl, and I thought you could with jugs too, but I don't remember exactly.

I agree it would be nice to have some more cooking systems, and in particular incorporating milk, wine, etc. into recipes. For example, posset, which was popular from Roman times into the late medieval era, was a sort of half-beverage, half-soup made of milk, wine, cheese, and grain boiled together (with salt and various seasonings). People who have tried making the stuff using historic recipes agree that it's somewhere between weird and disgusting, but it was an important and characteristic foodstuff across much of early Europe.

There are a number of herbs that already have (unused) visual models in the game (rosemary and thyme and so forth), so perhaps the devs already have some ideas for using them.

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.