Be able to plant flowers onto farmland

Professor Dragon

REQUEST: I'd like to be able to plant flowers onto farmland.

Specifically in my greenhouse, as there are periods when you're not cropping, but some decorative flowers would be nice.

I wouldn't mind if planting flowers on farmland converted it back to the underlying dirt block.

That seems a fair trade. It only requires hoeing again.

(This would also tie into the other feature request that people have of being able to break farmland blocks.)

Thanks!

I would not mind if that was possible, mostly because I don't like destroying blocks, e.g. if I have misplaced a farm tile.

You could always put the farmland to the lowest grade, when placing plants on top. That being said, there could even be some plants (like e.g. beans in real life) that help with nutrients in the soil.

On 5/10/2022 at 7:15 AM, Maelstrom said:

problem with converting farmland back to soil blocks is resetting the nutrient levels thus creating a huge farming exploit.

That's a very good point.

But if the farm soil blocks maintain individual data about nutrients, then converted "soil to dirt" blocks could just retain that data.

Then if they are converted back to farm soil blocks, they just take those values again.

It is not like there is going to be a huge number of these "soil to dirt" blocks existing at any time. Far less than all the wild crops and other entities that track progression.

There may be an issue with "stacking" though. Maybe it could be like stacking food - where the farm soil takes the average value of everything added to the stack.

4 hours ago, TheDancingFox said:

That's a very good point.

But if the farm soil blocks maintain individual data about nutrients, then converted "soil to dirt" blocks could just retain that data.

Then if they are converted back to farm soil blocks, they just take those values again.

It is not like there is going to be a huge number of these "soil to dirt" blocks existing at any time. Far less than all the wild crops and other entities that track progression.

There may be an issue with "stacking" though. Maybe it could be like stacking food - where the farm soil takes the average value of everything added to the stack.

Why not solve the problem with nutrient level of picked farmland by making it an another item with default 0% nutrient. 

It will still force you to be careful where you put it but won't permanently destroy the coveted terra preta. 

It will also help when you will want to remodel your farm. You just pick it up with shovel but must wait for nutrients to regenerate.

Moving and placing non-tilted soil would still give 100% nutrients in farmland after tilting

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.