How to make a Temporal Storm proof base or bunker?

Professor Dragon

Hello There,

After 3+ game years, I thought that this system created a "temporal storm proof" base for drifter spawns.

This is NOT a drifter proof room (see image).

It is essentially a small room (this one was 5 long  x 4 wide x 2 high), with an additional "shelf" in a side wall), where EVERY floor space has either a chest, table or "placed stone" on it.

Then a Nightmare Drifter spawned in, and that was that - and very quickly. It spawned right next to the table.

The only difference between this bunker and previous bunkers I've built, was that I didn't have the floor covered with a single layer of planks, because I'd only just moved in.

Was it the planks that worked? Or have I really just been "lucky" all of this time?

Light was a copper lamp in my hand, and a small fat lamp on the wall.

I know it is a recurring lament, but we really should be able to build a small drifter proof bunker at least and not get killed by such shenanigans.

Because the only alternative is to sleep through the storm. At this point, I'm not even sure if walling yourself into a 1 x 1 x 2 box while standing on planks is sufficient. (Is it?)
Or even, just think, a drifter proof house.

A minimum "spawn proof circle" around the player the size of a 7 x 7 room would do.

Or an "anti-spawn beacon" crafted out of gears that you can carry with you that does the same thing. A bigger gear investment would give a bigger range. One gear might let you secure a room this size, a bigger investment a 7 x 7 room or more.

Thanks.

This base is not drifter proof.png

Edited by TheDancingFox
Typo

16 hours ago, Professor Dragon said:

Or an "anti-spawn beacon" crafted out of gears that you can carry with you that does the same thing.

Well that gets my creativity going.  Craft an anti-spawn device activated for a short time by temporal gears.  Hmmmm....  Perhaps a gear is good for a few hours with a half-life type of falloff of protection.  After two hours the protection starts decreasing from 7 block radius to a 6 block radius, 60 minutes later it goes down to a 5 block radius, 30 minutes later another block, etc.  As the protection wanes so does the glow indicating the device's active life.  At a low level it gives off nearly no glow making it difficult to determine if it should be reactivated or wasting some time reactivating it prematurely.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Maelstrom said:

Well that gets my creativity going.  Craft an anti-spawn device activated for a short time by temporal gears.

A nice idea. I like the mechanic. And thank you for giving it some thought. 🙂

The only thing that I'd quibble about is the pricing. I was more thinking of something higher priced, but permanent once bought. In the range of repairing a teleport device that allows you to travel vast distances, say. At the very least, something that lasts for tens of days, not hours.

One thing that I've noticed is that there are different ways to play the game. For me, acquiring gears is not akin to a bulk purchase of commodities, but something that happens very occasionally over a long time, such as the odd drop after clearing out Drifters in the base after a storm. I don't set out to deliberately farm them, like it seems some do.

I don't think such a device should be allowed to mitigate the dangers of caving, at least, not entirely. The main purpose should primarily be to allow a player to potter about a base.

So there should be a limit, such as "must be used within a seven by seven room" like a greenhouse or food storage check. Or "is most effective above ground level" so that houses are protected, but caving isn't.

I have my own strategy, it's damn simple. If a storm comes, I so spend this time in a trader's cabin. It is important to close the door/gate and make sure that no stone hits you, and no stone hit the trader either. If they hit the trader, he can get very angry with you.

• Thanks 1

I did post a 5x5 4 high totally spawn proof bed room once (though you can go even bigger), the trick is "chiseled blocks", as those, no matter how little material is left, do protect the whole block they occupy from any spawns, but as long as there are air blocks there will be drifters spawning in temporal storms, as in those storms the normal spawning algorithm gets overwritten and spawning occurs in midair.

Btw. those stones on the ground don't protect from spawning, same with the lantern in your hands.

• Thanks 1

On 7/11/2022 at 1:11 AM, RobinHood said:

I have my own strategy, it's damn simple. If a storm comes, I so spend this time in a trader's cabin. It is important to close the door/gate and make sure that no stone hits you, and no stone hit the trader either. If they hit the trader, he can get very angry with you.

Yeah, I've stopped staying in a Trader's wagon after he mercilessly round-housed me to death for "no apparent reason."

Anyway, although I love those guys, I'm a touch suspicious of them. I mean, out there all alone, drifters everywhere, even in temporally unstable areas, and restocked every few days even though I never see them move anywhere, and never see anyone else come near them.

And what exactly is the motive power for these wagons, hmmmm?

And HOW do they get into the locations that they do get to?

And WHY do they NEVER MOVE from those locations?

All questions that I'd appreciate putting to them at some point . . . if only they had a dialogue tree.

14 hours ago, Hal13 said:

I did post a 5x5 4 high totally spawn proof bed room once (though you can go even bigger), the trick is "chiseled blocks", as those, no matter how little material is left, do protect the whole block they occupy from any spawns, but as long as there are air blocks there will be drifters spawning in temporal storms, as in those storms the normal spawning algorithm gets overwritten and spawning occurs in midair.

Btw. those stones on the ground don't protect from spawning, same with the lantern in your hands.

Thanks for the response.

Sorry - where are the chiselled blocks? On the floor?

Do you know about "planks" on the ground in a two high room? I am thinking that there is not enough space for a drifter to spawn into that less than two high gap. Am I wrong about this? It seems to have worked in the past.

Although I freely admit now that the rocks don't, which is a pity, because I guess planks burn near pit kilns.

3 hours ago, Professor Dragon said:

Do you know about "planks" on the ground in a two high room? I am thinking that there is not enough space for a drifter to spawn into that less than two high gap. Am I wrong about this? It seems to have worked in the past.

These have no hit box occupying the whole block, therefore drifters still can spawn. It worked only for default spawning not for storm spawning and i think only until 1.13 or 1.14...

Btw found my post:

4 hours ago, Professor Dragon said:

And what exactly is the motive power for these wagons, hmmmm?

And HOW do they get into the locations that they do get to?

And WHY do they NEVER MOVE from those locations?

They may have used a temporal gear to respawn there and found out it's better to stay in one place always respawning in their cart then travelling further and possibly getting killed respawning in the wilderness... maybe they wait for getting their hands on new gears to move and use it later on?

• Like 1

Oh, they are not 100% safe, I was safe for 5-8 storms, also heavy storms, but yesterday a double head drifter did spawn in a traders cabine. And killed me.

Better do chissel a panic room and a drifter trap. Maybe like this

Edited by RobinHood

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.