Regarding Coal and Steelmaking

ruggbean

I hope this isn't a recurring topic or something that has been explained elsewhere - I tried searching and I didn't see it - but if it is, if you can link me to the topic, that would be greatly appreciated. 

I am a little bit confused as to the purpose of coke in the process of steel making when you are not only capable of using other coals to power the cementation furnace, but brown coal, which has a max temperature of 1100°, can heat up the same completion percentages as coke, which has a max temperature of 1350°. Is there a way to either create an apparatus for the cementation furnace that will only hold coke and charcoal, or a way to restrict steelmaking fuels to a certain max temperature threshold like 1300°, which would prevent brown coal, black coal, and anthracite from being used, and function similarly to how smelting with the crucible operates?

• 1 year later...

Hi, news from the future here.  Cementation furnace recipes have been changed, brown and black coal now do not burn hot enough to create steel, you need to either use charcoal or coal coke.  Despite coal coke burning longer, because it's nonrenewable unlike charcoal, and burns for less time than either coal, I think it's still a worse decision.  Coke doesn't even have a use as a starter fuel to heat up a firepit faster than a longer lasting fuel, since the 2 lignite/1.5 black coal used to make it would create more lasting heat.

On 9/26/2023 at 11:20 AM, ChubbyDemon said:

Coke doesn't even have a use as a starter fuel to heat up a firepit faster than a longer lasting fuel, since the 2 lignite/1.5 black coal used to make it would create more lasting heat.

It seems exclusively useful for creating cupronickel ingots.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.