Butterbot

I just wanted to say that I LOVE the bears.

I love the way they look, killing them feels like a real accomplishment, I love that they menace my livestock. There's nothing more chilling than poking around in a new area and unexpectedly hearing their bear noises. And the way they stand up on their hind legs? Perfect, adorable, almost makes me feel bad about trying to kill them. Bears, 100% A+, my new favorite creature!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I strongly dislike them. One of these turned my front lawn into a slaughterhouse.

Unlike in real life, in this game I am a vegan, so there were a lot of bunnies, pigs, sheep, trash pandas etc. around my home. Until one morning my character woke up and found dozens of corpses piled at the front door and the fat ass of a bear bastard slowly walking away. As the sight of a dead bunny (even a drawn one) makes me go ballistic instantly, the bears joined the wolves in the Red book of endangered species in my world and are ferociously exterminated on sight ...

• Haha 3

• 2 months later...

I do love the addition of bears.  It adds a good amount of challenge to the already harsh world.

What I dislike about the current iteration is the amount of bears spawning around my general area.  It seems like I am surrounded by bear spawners.  Maybe this is catering to multiplayer experience but I find it unrealistic in a solo game.  Aren't they suppose to be like a mini boss every now and then?  I already fought off enough bears to get 20+ huge pelts (also died a lot from ambushes) and they keep respawning.

Alternative is trap them somewhere with a light source so that they don't despawn.  On an MP server I played on the local wolfpack had gotten itself into a hole and we just left it there.  And if you are lucky enough to work out where the spawn point it you have the option to fence it off as well with some luck.  (I have fenced in a wolfpack once I realized that I always saw them hanging out in the same location.)

Edited by Owktree
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don't like the bears, or at least how they are currently implemented. 
The killing of one, the rewards seem low in value resources ( fat being the most valuable there) , and huge pelt is all thats really gained. 
I understand others somehow enjoy the op beast , mistaking major annoyance as being a "challenge". 
they can traverse terrains unlike any other creature, and -can- get right over two and three high fences. 
Only "challenge" is probably to those players without access to iron gear , making the beast rather just a way to frustrate new players, or fresh starting out players, more than anyone. 
I do not equate that as fun. 

I do like how they look though, the pandas are cute at least.  Impressive size on the ones in temperate zones.  I think if tweaked to be less spawns, and far less aggressive ( especially in warmer months when food is plentiful), have bears target fenced livestock less ( they actually eat berries and fish more than go hunting smaller mammals for food.) , i'd change my stance. 
Currently, they are just a annoying aggravation , cool looking, but annoying. 

• Like 2
  • Wolf Bait 1

18 hours ago, Owktree said:

Alternative is trap them somewhere with a light source so that they don't despawn.  On an MP server I played on the local wolfpack had gotten itself into a hole and we just left it there.

I think they don't despawn if left in dark as the domesticated animals do... I have 3 bears and one or two wolfpacks stuck in holes under the mountain peak I inhabit, and they are there for more than 2 in-game years now. There are no light sources near these holes. And I haven't seen another bear or wolf spawning since these are trapped...

• Thanks 1

Bears have gotten me into trouble on more than one occasion. I seem to have anger management issues in vintage story, and the trouble I get into has usually not directly to do with them.

You see, I am appaled everytime I encounter a predator. The insolence of them appearing in my fov drives me into a reckless murderous rage where after killing that particular animal, I go on a mad dash to find more animals to kill with complete abandon, and usually end up getting killed by the environment more than anything else. Hunger, cold, bottomless pits, you name it, I've died to it, all because I happened to see a bear sh*** in the woods and have gone out to kill anything that moves for the outrage!

You could say I'm unBEARable to be around when angry!😋

• Haha 3

OK. Encountered a black bear and sprinted from it into the cove of a lake.  Swam across that and then pillared up on the far shore with my longbow to wait for it to come up close.  The bear drowned in the lake.  Easy way to get a couple of huge raw hides and some fat.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.