Cauldron

Yeetiee

Hi,

Current cooking system based on pots is really tedious if you are making a big amount of food for the winter. Pots max capacity is 6 portions, crocs is 4 and if you want to prepare big amount of food you either use multiple nearly half-empty pots or use one pot for a really long time and it seems wasteful fuel- and time-wise.

As we now have different functional blocks like oven, destillery or even barrel what I miss is a simple cauldron. 

But to preserve the feeling of progression and to not make current pots useless I propose that cauldrons:

- have capacity of 24 portions of food (4 pots or 6 crocks)

- food can be taken from them only using bowls, pots or crocks

- are a procedural block - if you destroy them you loose all their contents. Food can be moved using only bowls pots or crocks

- are cast from iron or steel

- are more fuel-efficient if large amount of food is being made at once, for example if 4 full pots make food using X amount of fuel, then a cauldron would use ~75% of that fuel regardless of the amount of food in it (making it cheaper when more than 18 portions are in it).

What do you think?

• Like 2

Might want to look into the Expanded Foods mod. It has metal cauldrons and a mind-boggling variety of cooking.

Interesting. I'd probably not use it, because my interest starts to wane by the time I have steel, but interesting. I could be wrong, but I thought you were better off cooking up everything as soon as you could, that very night preferably. That leaving fresh ingredients in your storage vessel another day subtracted more than a day of the meal's shelf life. So I end up cooking only a couple pots or so each evening -- whatever fresh meat I have. Between Right-Click and Shift-Click you get the next pot going in no time flat, so there's not even much in the way of wasted fuel, even if you use only 1 firepit (and multiple pots)

And its not like you need all that much food stored up for standard winter. Over 3/4 of my food goes bad. Took me a while to just let go and not collect all the berries, or say, "This field is big enough," or, "What was I thinking putting up that much jam?"

You put your finger on the irritating part. Make crocks hold 6 (preferably) or pots hold 4.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Thorfinn said:

I thought you were better off cooking up everything as soon as you could, that very night preferably.

It depends on the food as vegetables and grains have long shelf life to begin with. But if you want to make complex, more saturating meals you will include meat (or soybeans) and it is not that hard to get 24 pieces of meat in one go late in the game. 

27 minutes ago, Thorfinn said:

its not like you need all that much food stored up for standard winter

Both winter and spoilrate are adjustable in worldgen so you can tweak it to match your preference. 

Also I think cauldron as a block would look great in my kitchen ;)

2 hours ago, maibock said:

Kinda have to agree there. However, maybe the extra two could just be used as "fresh" food, as opposed to putting it all in crocks?

Yeah, kind of what I do. But even at 200% hunger, if you cook two pots per day, that's more excess than you can eat.

1 hour ago, Maelstrom said:

2 pots makes 3 crocks of food.  Just make sure to make the meals in both pots exactly the same.  problem solved.

Oh? Guess I never tried that. All this time, I've just had one set of shelves for partially-filled crocks. 

Just equip the half-empty crock, right-click on the cooking pot and it will fill the crock to the brim, so long as it's the same ingredients? Probably averages out the shelf-life, like everything else does when you force stack it?

2 hours ago, Yeetiee said:

But if you want to make complex, more saturating meals you will include meat (or soybeans) and it is not that hard to get 24 pieces of meat in one go late in the game. 

48, right? 24 in each of the two spots? Or are you suggesting changing that?

Again, back to how much do you really need. I run at 200% hunger, and go through not quite a crock every day. There are only 27 days of winter, and I'm finding I'm often cooking porridges and soups with "fresh" ingredients until about the time the berries are ripe next spring anyway. Dipping into the prepared meals is mostly when I'm lazy or have some particular nutritional need.

And if you, like the house martin or the plover, seek warmer climes in winter...

2 hours ago, Yeetiee said:

Also I think cauldron as a block would look great in my kitchen ;)

Fair. Definitely check out Expanded Foods. Saucepans, rolling pins, cauldrons, skillets, baking sheets, meat racks, etc. Everything you need to make a really cool looking kitchen. Not that I'm objecting to adding a cauldron. Just that if it's important, you can have that now.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Thorfinn said:

Just equip the half-empty crock, right-click on the cooking pot and it will fill the crock to the brim, so long as it's the same ingredients? Probably averages out the shelf-life, like everything else does when you force stack it?

I usually cook an even number of pots of food and have sufficient crocks on hand to immediately preserve.  Not only do the ingredients have to be the same, but they have to be in the same slot in the cook pot.  

• 11 months later...

Hi there, I have been looking for a how to guide on how to really get started with the mod, I have both cauldrons, the sauce pan, the rolling pin a couplebottles. I've just set up my new kitchen in my new house. I'm really excited to play around with what I can make, but its hard to do that with out any help from the handbook(minus the existing guides) on recipies for the grid, as well as how to use the cauldrons and saucepan, specifically, as I've made them, but can't seem to figure out how to actually make food in them. I've made bone broth, and thats it. Is there a subreddit? Or a guide page somewhere im not seeing? Like a base formula for the order of ingredient types per utility item is all id need. 

I.e., Cooking pot: first two slots grain, next slot can be fruit, meat or veg, last slot can be fruit, meat, or  veg. Alternatively you can make jams by....etc

When do you think you could add handbook recipes? 

From what I have made out of the cooking pot, I'm super stoked to keep going, and I think the work you have put into it is astounding and wonderful, and I don't wanna come off as ungrateful, I'm just a lil dumb sometimes. :3

5 hours ago, Aven Ferguson said:

Hi there, I have been looking for a how to guide on how to really get started with the mod, I have both cauldrons, the sauce pan, the rolling pin a couplebottles. I've just set up my new kitchen in my new house. I'm really excited to play around with what I can make, but its hard to do that with out any help from the handbook(minus the existing guides) on recipies for the grid, as well as how to use the cauldrons and saucepan, specifically, as I've made them, but can't seem to figure out how to actually make food in them. I've made bone broth, and thats it. Is there a subreddit? Or a guide page somewhere im not seeing? Like a base formula for the order of ingredient types per utility item is all id need. 

I.e., Cooking pot: first two slots grain, next slot can be fruit, meat or veg, last slot can be fruit, meat, or  veg. Alternatively you can make jams by....etc

When do you think you could add handbook recipes? 

From what I have made out of the cooking pot, I'm super stoked to keep going, and I think the work you have put into it is astounding and wonderful, and I don't wanna come off as ungrateful, I'm just a lil dumb sometimes. :3

I suspect you meant to post this in the Expanded Foods thread? You should see pictures for all of the foods there. :D

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.