Building here is difficult

Marlim

I built a lot in Minecraft, and when I got to Vintage Story I felt a huge difference, it's obviously not the same game. I noticed some difficulties during the game, such as the lack of dark wood, and what is available is difficult to obtain.
I also found discrepancies, too many details, exaggerations, visual pollution, which makes the game seem a little disharmonious and visually heavy. Maybe it's just me, but it bothers me. Please don't get me wrong, I love Vintage Story and I recognize that it's not complete, it's in early access, I'm just worried about the future of the game, which maybe when it's more famous it will be harder for the community to be heard.

I know that the game is in development, I also know that this is not the current focus of the developers, I see a lot of suggestions asking for new additions, such as items and mechanics, but I don't see players asking for changes to the graphics, that's why I created this topic. I see a huge lack of harmony and several details in models and textures that bother me during the game, but especially when i'm building. This lack of harmoniousness makes the construction process more overwhelming, as attempting harmonious construction is difficult.
Like I said, polishing textures and models may not be the developers' focus right now, but if they want to promote the game I suggest they do a lot of polishing first.

I know that the focus of this game is on realism, and not on cartoons, so below I will mention some details present in the game that I noticed that do not match the game's proposal or that cause discomfort.

Link to the full suggestion on discord, as there is a limit on images here:
https://discord.com/channels/302152934249070593/1206413820504051762/1206413820504051762

In the comparison below it is possible to see that the color tones of Vintage Story are excessively light next to an alternative texture:

2024-02-07_14-33-44.thumb.png.0c724cc3242044c06e5717b59e2ff5ac.png
2024-02-07_14-31-05.thumb.png.1d8f29c594a288a17fb6d821152b79d4.png

Edited by Marlim
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Marlin said:

this new roof was one of the things that bothered me the most, it completely deviates from the visual standard of the game, I'm afraid that the VS team will use this new roof to make new structures for the game, it would be scary

I am not sure if this comment is meant to be satirical or not... what is scary about rooftops (which are awesome in my opinion - love the slate one)

• Like 2

Yeah, like... I don't want to dismiss OP out of hand, there are clearly things that bother them...

But I can't really see them? Even in the screenshots provided, when I look at the circled areas, nothing looks off?

And why must all things made out of the same wood type absolutely match each other on a per-pixel level? On the contrary, watching Kurazarrh build on Youtube has given me an appreciation for the opportunities provided by slight variations in hue and texture between different variants of the same material. A polished stone looks different from a raw stone, and both look different from cobble or brickwork; similarly, a wooden log looks different from its planks, and so on. This greatly expands the available color palette in what is arguably a fairly palette-limited game.
(Admittedly Kurazarrh goes heavy on the multi-material chiseling and not everyone, including me, has the patience for that.)

Providing more wooden items in variants other than oak is a fair request, I've installed mods to that effect in the past. Though I believe that the base game has added quite a few variants itself since then. It's an ongoing process?

• Like 7

On 11/13/2022 at 8:58 AM, Streetwind said:

But I can't really see them? Even in the screenshots provided, when I look at the circled areas, nothing looks off?

Maybe you didn't understand my point, but if you want to understand, there's the conversation on the official discord, on the channel "suggestions-forum"

• Wolf Bait 1

On 11/13/2022 at 8:58 AM, Streetwind said:

I refer to differences in color tones.If you look closely you will see that in the boxes, in the aged wooden blocks and in the plaster blocks there are different shades, I cannot see harmony.

image.png

The colors don't match

image.png

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 11/15/2022 at 2:20 PM, maibock said:

Have to agree with this. Currently, the plaster blocks don't match any sort of wood in the game so far. Kinda wish there were variants for the natural wood types.

Not only the plaster block, but the boxes as well, they use generic wood in some parts.

• Like 2

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.