Forms of Travel

Jacob Niemeyer

Please add other forms of travel outside of walking, say bicycles or steam engines that can be attached to things that make them move or boats and a river sources... just anything other than walking. I find myself walking huge distances up to tens of thousands of blocks for one resource or another, even when the terrain is set to patchy instead of realistic. It become monotonous to do this over and over until you get way later into the game and develop portals. I usually set the settings where i dont drop items so i can simply kill myself to spawn back home and only have to walk one way, why cant something like horses be added or even steam vehicles to differentiate from minecraft to make this travel much less painless, especially when im looking for resources like limestone or marble. It turns the fun aspect of the grind into a miserable one very quickly, as having to walk an hr in real life back and forth to where to resource is, is dreadful and often makes me quit my playthroughs and start a new one in hopes of maybe finding that one perfect seed where everything is close by somehow.

19 hours ago, Jacob Niemeyer said:

It turns the fun aspect of the grind into a miserable one very quickly

That's exactly why I use the TPTools mod . It adds crafting recipe for the creative teleporter into survival. I am not sure if this is mentioned somewhere, but if one wants to move an already placed teleporter, he/she should use a padlock to break it (as strange as it sounds).

• Like 1

I have to somewhat agree here. 
Not only does there need to be alternate travel means, which i know there's translocators, and mods that add horses. 
Problem lays in, you usually need resources in far off places, long before you can get a locator repaired. It randomizes target location, that may go to area where resources needed aren't. Becoming even farther waste of time. 
Horses, who has time to make leather ( especially if having to gather those resources ) for saddle-bags, go capture/tame and breed horses for domestication? 
In all cases currently, it takes resources to do these things, catch 22 is you have to travel days and days away from your area to find them, just to get a bit easier travel, to go find said resources... and seems counter productive/grindy/and big time sink for basic resources. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ArgentLuna said:

I'd like to see High Gen Rams be used for mounts because for me at least they have only a use now as a supply of meat and hides (and between everything else i don't need that a lot)

There was talk of Polar Bears being used for mounts. This came up during a MP youtube video. I can't remember if Saraty was there, or if someone was quoting her (and of course I've no idea if or when it would be implemented).

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ArgentLuna said:

I'd like to see High Gen Rams be used for mounts because for me at least they have only a use now as a supply of meat and hides (and between everything else i don't need that a lot)

I havent even made it to animal husbandry because i always get drained looking for the resources i want to build my house however my last playthrough i was able to get a solid beehive going lol

I've only ever done up to one generation for husbandry myself, and utterly neglected to make any cheese on any seed i've played. 
Chickens are to much a pain to wrangle into a coop. 
Rabbits/hares do not breed in captivity. too many in a farm trap pit can trample/crush other rabbits. ( I've found the small ones dead in the pits , saying were crushed.) 
Pigs seem to breed alright, but its a pain culling the herd so they breed a second generation. 
Goats are fairly simple, but the mechanics of husbandry is slow, very "meh". 
I just now after playing many seeds, did my first windmill/automated quern.  Every seed i play seems to lack, halite ( salt) , limestone , and resin is always just a few trees very far off, very far apart.   

Bees i find easy to do, it's just a pain on default no bee mods to keep making skepts every harvest.  

Bears i think are worthless for the game , beyond the "wow, look a bear!" first time seeing one.  Most the time it's F**** ME, It's a BEAR! In my animal pen! Too OP of a creature tbh, resource "rewards" for them do not match the level of difficulty. Mounts would be a good use for them, I can't really imagine how to tame one though. 

I think modes of travel could include rafts, boats, even air-ships to build eventually. Old lain pathway " roads " that might come across connecting larger ruins here and there would be neat feature. 
Mounts i'd be ok with, Rams, wolves, even bears lol... just eliminate the "need" for saddles/breeding up front.  I myself have found creating leather a mid-game, late bronze age thing, because limestone seems to always be vey far off, and sparse.  I know for a fact, you can ride bare-back. Native Americans domesticated wild horses , rode with no saddle, and simple-crude tackle/harness.  

I have issues with most mods on the mod pages, they always seem to have one or two features you want, but add in loads of extra features you don't want or need. I do use step up, and carry carry capacity , which I think simply should be part of base game in the first place.  Most the others just seem to add content for the sake of adding more complexity and more complicated measures, to an already resource-grindy, complex game.  

13 hours ago, Anthony frailey said:

I myself have found creating leather a mid-game, late bronze age thing, because limestone seems to always be vey far off, and sparse.

You could also use sea shells, chalk, or borax. Some (all?) of these ingredients can also be purchased from traders.

I hadn't thought about the possible process for taming a bear. ugh! There is no way I'd go through multiple generations of breeding. Personally, I'd rather use a magical device that tames them instantly.

I would like to see a handsome stag as a mount. That would be glorious!! Is the new animal a gazelle? Or antelope? Whatever, anyway their animation is so nicely done that it gives me hope that a nice stag is possible.

Sea shells i found, on my current seed though they are rare. 
Borax and chalk, I have never found on any seed I've played. 
I've also never found bizmuth on any seed, all my bronze has been black or tin based. 

Traders, meh... currently i've collected over three maxes stacks of rusty gears on my sp latest seed, in only 60 hours of playing it. To this date, i've found every trader around me to have noting of value in them. Most are clothing traders as well.  I found one artisian very far off, i'd spend gears at for new art, other than that, in any seed, seems the traders do not have items i'd find useful to buy, once i get gears to spend. 

Issue i got with multi-pens there Malestrom, is my pigs gave birth and the littles grew up on a Transporter trip south i made, where i spent an in game week to find a handful of halite. 

Check back with traders, they change their inventories regularly (6-9 days I believe).  The total list of items they buy and sell can be found on the wiki.

Borax should be fairly common.  If you don't find surface nuggets, try some shallow caving.  Zinc should also be as common as bismuth.  Unfortunately; it's hard to see in granite.  Best to use a pro-pick on node search mode.

On 11/24/2022 at 9:21 AM, dakko said:

There was talk of Polar Bears being used for mounts. This came up during a MP youtube video. I can't remember if Saraty was there, or if someone was quoting her (and of course I've no idea if or when it would be implemented).

Having fought one, I'm not sure I'd want to try and herd any into a pen for any reason.

Edited by ArgentLuna
  • Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.