Suggestion Flax farming alternative? Moths!

MothPrinceLucy

Moths or various kinds of moths could be baited with moth traps and cultivated for their silk which could be used for a verity of similar, but maybe not all the same, uses as flax fiber and such. 
There are so many butterflies and even if not as this above suggestion, I would love for there to be moths in the game in general o3o

On 12/22/2022 at 11:11 PM, MothPrinceLucy said:

Moths or various kinds of moths could be baited with moth traps and cultivated for their silk which could be used for a verity of similar, but maybe not all the same, uses as flax fiber and such. 
There are so many butterflies and even if not as this above suggestion, I would love for there to be moths in the game in general o3o

The game is listed as unfinished. A lot is on the table at present.

• Confused 1

Yes yes for sure! Although I am aware much can to be done and can be added, I mean this with no intended rudeness, I don't really understand the reason for your comment. 😅
I wish for this game to thrive and grow as well. I hope I didn't misstep and say something wrong. If I did please clarify, I'd like to not make those missteps in the future. u3u

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Is this about silkworm moths? Because their silk is completely different than flax fiber-wise. And the silk is gained from cocoons - the fully-grown moths themselves are pretty much useless (other than breeding) and  genetically stunted due to thousands of years of domestication to the point they can't even fly anymore. All in all, cultivation of silkworms is a very tedious and lengthy process, that includes boiling the silkworms inside their cocoons (to harvest the single-threaded cocoon).
Here's a short, but very educational video about the whole process: 

I'm not opposed to the idea,  but I'd suggest a different source of silk that's easier to implement gameplay-wise... it includes giant spiders, and the webs we already have in the game.

Edited by Khornet

On 2/9/2023 at 5:39 AM, Khornet said:

I'm not opposed to the idea,  but I'd suggest a different source of silk that's easier to implement gameplay-wise... it includes giant spiders, and the webs we already have in the game.

Spider webs irl do not have the properties necessary for use as a fiber. They would be great for medicinal use though! I've suggested their use in bandage recipes but it hasn't been implemented.

Personally, I'd be more interested in plant fibers. If silkworms are a consideration, they would not be difficult to implement in the game and their fiber has superior insulation qualities so it would even make sense. This video of real-life silk farming on a personal home farm setting is a good example:

• Like 1
  • Mind=blown 1

Someone say Hemp? ^^

Pointing at Jobediah's excellent mod Weaver's Weed, which I have crudely and inofficcially been updating for my game and sharing to y'alls (with credit to Jobediah, of course). Can confirm it working as of 17.6 (I haven't upgrade my game of later versions as of now). Maybe Tyron could look at it and incorporate it into vanilla?

(Probably without the edible aspect. *cough* For medicinal use, of course!)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.