Weaver's Weed 0.4.17 - New source for Reeds and Fibers

Jobediah Timberman

Since the Advanced Backpack system requires so much Twine, I've been brainstorming an idea for a new resource for acquiring Fibers. I feel that another one would be a lot better than just boosting Flax generation and/or drops.

I knew what it needed to be, but I didn't think I could handle texturing and modeling it. Then I realized the best source is the real thing, and to just process the images so they become pixelated to fit with the game's artwork. Then after almost completing the modeling and JSON configurations, and almost finally able to post this mod, I realized that this wonderous plant could logically be a source of Reeds, too. I had even considered that it might drop Sticks, but that didn't feel right. But Reeds and Fibers, absolutely.

2075232715_moddbtitlephoto.thumb.jpg.0b310a300b36bdd72d25a7be2a3562ad.jpg

This was also after finally realizing I could just make each of the 5 stages randomly drop a stage 1 block, instead of using seeds. It will have to be the solution for now, as the seed system is confusing me, and might require coding, like Jakecool19 did with his Wild Farming mod. There will need to be seeds, of course, as hemp seeds will be a very highly useful resource. 

You can use this on existing maps, you'll just need to go to areas you haven't been to yet in order to trigger the changes to WorldGen. 

For now the 4 types are set to Chance of 0.10, which might be a big high, but the whole growing process will change as I (we) figure out how to make seeds to plant them properly. But it appears that replanting a sapling will grow just fine. It will generate between 6 and 14 plants, leaning towards earlier growth, -- the numbers are 1, 1, 2, 2, 3, 3, 4, 5, meaning less chance of stage 4 and 5.  

fourtrees.thumb.png.3a9f916c21102a2f0876a2a072464a43.png

There are four variations available so far, though the only difference is the image used for this plant's mysterious buds. The Orange strain will appear in hotter, dryer areas, White only in colder areas, but Tropical won't grow in cold, and Purple just about anywhere. Still working out the details on the numbers, so comments and suggestions are welcome. 

I'm glad we already have something named like "Cooper's Reeds", because this name fits exactly with that naming style. On top of that, the name just happens to be exactly the word I need. So for reasons that are both objectively appropriate as well as personally meaningful, I've decided to name this one as a tribute to someone who had a pretty big impact on my life. Not that I wouldn't put my father's name on it, but this isn't exactly the tribute he would want. Of course, this is just a huge coincidence and I'm using a fake name, the chances of this are astronomical, I must be making this up. 

Of course the main reason for making this mod is simple, I have PTSD as a result of multiple injuries and other incidents in my life. It's the bane of having a strong long-term memory. Fortunately there's at least one medicine that genuinely helps me and most others. To the point where it's more of a requirement than coffee or cigarettes could ever be. I've always had issues with anxiety and depression, and nothing clears up my head like cannabinoids. It does what alcohol and painkillers wish they could do. 

Another contributing issue came up almost 6 months ago. For 7-8 years I've been shopping at a local mom-and-pop grocery store, called a "salvage grocery". The store basically existed because the system is so bizarre. People assume that expiration dates on food are both required and accurate, neither of which is true. Many companies lie about the date their product expires, which requires the big chain store to throw out potentially good food and restock. There once was a guy who hitchhiked across the entire country, and he never once bought food, just stopped at every grocery store for a dumpster dive. 

weedfarm.thumb.png.b9f49c3f9d6a8c962fedafebe2630642.png

As a grocery store manager, Mr. Weaver saw all the waste, and decided to do something about it. Everybody dreams of a store where a $4-7 dollar bottle of sauce costs $0.50 cents, but no one wants to be the one to rip themselves off like that. 

As you might be guessing, he passed away last year, at the end of last October. Coincidentally we payed our respects on All Saints Day, which is so appropriate I still can't believe it. I also can't believe that they weren't able to keep the store going, but I suppose they might just be grateful that it lasted a bit longer than he did. It would've killed him just to be told that he needs to retire, which he didn't. Kept on going to work, the same way he did every day, up to the day he passed away. 

So as depressing as it is, I am grateful he didn't have to see his dream shut down. Still though, it feels just as if I either lost a lot of money, or I have to give up a lot of food I can't afford now that it's full price. While their store naturally couldn't have a reliable inventory, what I also lost was a semi-reliable source of excitement. No ordinary grocery store will give you the same rush of adrenaline that you get from finally locating the resource you need in a game. 

In other words, his store was more like finding a Trader. You never knew what you'd find, but were always excited to find out. I'm very thankful to have found a game that provides a very similar reward right at the time that our community lost this wonderful store. Vintage Story really helped distract me at a time when I needed it more than usual. I don't even play MineCraft or survivalist games, and whats more, I don't play games much ever since my first big injury, so it's very rare for a game to grab my interest like this. 

Anyway, in honor of such an amazing person, I insist that I must memorialize him by calling this new resource "Weaver's Weed". But again, one of the main reasons is that this name would work perfectly even if I was making it up. And again, let's pretend I am for the sake of confidentiality. 

And along with dropping standard Fibers for making Twine, it also gives some Reeds for Rope. It's considered to be the most versatile resources on Earth, therefore it would be expected to provide a range of items. Like I said, I need to figure out how to plant seeds, but saplings will make them functional for now.

Weaver's weed also gives mysterious buds that are a form of super-food. Studies have shown they possess anti-oxidant properties. They provide Protein saturation, though I would like "saturation" to actually mean that it turns up the saturation of the game's colors for a while, but I'm not that kind of modder so I can't make that happen. The new Shader mod has an Overexposure setting that works perfect for this. Funny how it showed up just as I'm about to need it. 

Download Link

WeaversWeed0.4.17.zip

Comments and suggestions are welcome. 

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/20/2021 at 8:33 AM, Boten Red Wolf said:

Anyone else having problems with it growing, or more appropriately, not growing? I had them in a 5x5 greenhouse and they grew once, but then didn't after that.

On 3/20/2021 at 10:07 AM, pdub55 said:

I don't know why, but it will only grow once on a tilled soil block, then it just doesn't want to grow there ever again. So far I've just tilled new rows to put them in and converted the old tilled soil to a garden. 

From what I'm seeing it doesn't need 'farmland' because it's already a 1/5 plant, not a seed.  Just plant it on grass (or sand/gravel/etc tiles) like you would berry bushes.  Cobble is probably a bit off tho lol.

Thanks. No game is complete without cannabis.

Improvement suggestions:

- They are everywhere. Cut spawn rate by at least 500%.

- for inspiration Minecraft 1.7 had a great mod that included smoking, visuals, mushrooms, etc...

- The graphics stick out a bit, and look a little out of place.

- Make a new item called hemp. Give the same qualities as flax.

Edited by UGB76765
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have to say, that story broke my heart. I'm glad you found inspiration to get you through, gaming is always the best outlet. What happened to you hit a little close to home with me, I just hope you continue to see gaming (and modding) as an artform that will get you through, cause take it from me - it will! Take care.

On 3/20/2021 at 2:33 PM, Boten Red Wolf said:

Anyone else having problems with it growing, or more appropriately, not growing? I had them in a 5x5 greenhouse and they grew once, but then didn't after that.

On 3/20/2021 at 4:07 PM, pdub55 said:

I don't know why, but it will only grow once on a tilled soil block, then it just doesn't want to grow there ever again. So far I've just tilled new rows to put them in and converted the old tilled soil to a garden. 

Ok, i was wondering about this as well. I am going to try growing them on untilled land now. i need lots of cloth for the mods i have, so this mod is also a necessity. 

I absolutely love the idea of this mod and I've been playing with it for a couple days now, using it as a resource instead of a narcotic is my personal favorite idea because I think having drugs in our video games might not be the best thing... Can I turn the buds into flour and bake them into bread? Or even use them as a porridge?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I did a quick and dirty edit on the mod trying to get it to work on 1.15. again... just removed the game version dependency (and lowered the spawn chance a bit). I can hardly believe it, but it seems to work fine for me now, just did a test run on a new world and found a patch of weeds within three minutes.

(all credit for the mod still goes to Jobediah, of course.)

WeaversWeeds EDIT FOR v1.15.zip

• Thanks 1

• 4 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Update: For some reason, drop rate from harvesting Weed seems atrociously low compared to previous versions, to the point that using the mod hardly makes any sense right now.

I'll try looking into how to fix this (no guarantees though... this seems considerably more complicated than what I had to do to get the mod to work again a year ago, and my coding level is noobish. 😐 ).

EDIT: This one should work a lot better. Enjoy.

WeaversWeeds for v1.17.zip

Edited by Mysticar

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/23/2022 at 2:02 AM, Mysticar said:

Can now confirm my fix for v15 as still working as of 17.4.

Weed doesn't seem to naturally spawn on Forest Floor, but does spawn just fine on sand, gravel, and grass.

(credit to Jobediah for the original mod, as usual)

This is one of those mods that needs to be implemented in the game. Of all the resources that i desperately search for, fibers and resin are my constraints. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.