Foxes can kill you

imperialwaltz

I couldn't even believe it. And it took 4-5 spear hits straight to the face.

I actually had to look up the statistic for human deaths caused by foxes and couldn't find a single one. I can look past the awful typos still in the game even though I purchased it two years ago and have kept it on the shelf since just hoping it would see some goodness but honestly that really took the wind out of my sail and I'm going to have to uninstall.

There are humans that have killed sharks in Australia with just their legs, there was a story about a man who killed a lion with his bare hands in Africa. The human can survive three weeks without food, but only 1 day in Vintage Story. Food decomposes twice as fast as it does in real life and half of the actual recipes are weirdly tied behind tech progression when we've been making most of them out of stone and clay without metal tools for hundreds of years. The lack of items like traps and other things used to hunt or to defend oneself against prey aren't in the game either despite the overwhelming amount of danger lurking around every corner. Wildlife are not super saiyan.

A lot of things are forgive-able but there comes a point where "uncompromising" becomes blatant tedium for the sake of it. I really thought this game was trying to be pseudo-realistic but now I realize it's far more fantasy than I would have liked.

And to be honest it's kind of a slap in the face when you add "butterfly collection" to a game that clearly takes itself too seriously. Sorry if this post upsets anyone but it'll be my last for sure. I'm definitely done. This game has a very niche calling and I'm not one of those who can be lulled into it anymore it seems. I wish you and the creators well, hopefully they take a look at some of the mods like Primitive Survival and they try to realign the game towards the audience 'I believe' they should be going after, and losing the weird senseless lack of logic when it comes to scaling enemies to the player. (Worse is I hear even if you get full armor down the road you'll just die in a few hits anyways, so why bother)

Heck, chickens can kill you. Ask me how I know. ;)

Re:cooking, are you talking about bread and pies and such? Honestly, I don't think they are worth the effort anyway. If you want that for aesthetics, that's fine, but stews and porridges are really the way to go.

I rolled my eyes at the butterflies, too. Yeah, I get that the collectors out there will love that kind of thing, but not my cup of tea.

To be fair, though, the whole idea of temporal storms and rifts and transporters and eldritch horror and player characters who sound like musical instruments doesn't strike me as pseudo-realistic. At least not in the universe I find myself in. Inspired by nature, sure. Modeling nature, to some degree. Realistic, no.

• Like 1

Aren't the butterflies Saraty's thing? So it's not like adding more varieties affects game development. Personally, I enjoy seeing them around and they add a sense of normalcy and life to the world (not interested in collecting them). Their presence makes me think that flying birds could be coming. I would love to see raptors in the game! 💞

• Like 3

This is a game in which you can carry thousands of cubic meters of stone and sand around on your back in a backpack. Compared to that, it's not that much of a stretch to believe a fox could get angry enough about being poked with a stick to bite you, and for repeated bites to cause fatal blood loss.

If it's not your cup of tea, or you're frustrated with the direction the updates have taken the game, that's understandable. I remember getting fed up with vanilla Minecraft when they started adding new dimensions and boss fights but still just had one color of wooden door. It's just strange that dying to a fox was the straw that broke the camel's back.

• Like 7

17 hours ago, dakko said:

Aren't the butterflies Saraty's thing?

Don't know. I'm not complaining, just saying that since I'm more about gameplay, that was not a big draw. On the other hand, back in the '90s when I was writing mods for Baldur's Gate, having an invisible, invulnerable creature that could be summoned made a whole slew of "magical" effects possible. There are all kinds of ways this could be put into VS. A swarm of fairies, for example, could spin the stability wheel at up to breakneck speeds in whichever direction that kind of fairy does. Another could nudge the percentages for more or less favorable drops. (Think panning or harvesting crops.) Possibly one could capture some live like in Primitive Survival to get a permanent, relocatable effect. One could use a truly invisible (no model, or whatever that means) to give a region a temporary character that lasts until the creature despawns or is otherwise unsummoned. I'm seeing not the butterflies, but the game potential.

12 hours ago, Troy said:

This is a game in which you can carry thousands of cubic meters of stone and sand around on your back in a backpack.

Right. And with sand somewhere between 1.5 and 2 tons per block...

Yeah, Ashantin, Copygirl, and Saraty did some LP videos (several years ago?) but I can't remember exactly which one of them was talking about it or if it may have been in an Ashantin-only video. Anyway, Saraty had done a butterfly mod having to do with Terrafirmacraft or some such and then that was brought into VS quite some time ago. Which is why I'm thinking (but what do I know?) that increasing the variety of butterflies and making them collectible wouldn't be taking anything away from game development. Which is, I have the impression, the reason @imperialwaltz was so offended by it being in the recent update.

I guess the original post just makes me kind of sad. *shrugs*  Ah well.

• Like 1

Honestly, rage quit forum posts are an entire genre in gaming. If I don't like a game, I just go play a different one.

I was surprised and dismayed when a fox killed me, but it didn't make me angry.

I don't know if I'll ever collect butterflies, but I love seeing them around, and I like being able to identify different ones in the wild. If there are birds someday, I'll be really excited about that too.

But then again, I'm incredibly excited that pouring molten bronze into ingot molds has satisfying visuals and sounds, and you can make pies with a lattice on top. Those kinds of things make the game feel like a real place.

Edited by Echoweaver
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, Echoweaver said:

But then again, I'm incredibly excited that pouring molten bronze into ingot molds has satisfying visuals and sounds, and you can make pies with a lattice on top. Those kinds of things make the game feel like a real place.

Or skipping stones on a lake.  My favorite is playing a tuning cylinder near a rift. 

• Like 2

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.