Finding Limestone

Ricwi

Rock layers can be massive. Several thousand across. A 1600 diameter circle is not nearly enough. Probably too small to try to survive with foraging, even.

Peridotite is a pretty good place to be, though. Look for really uplifted areas, as it's not unusual to find several different stone types exposed on those cliffs.

Spent literal hours searching an area of roughly 3500x3500 without a single source of fucking limestone or chalk except a single trader that i found on my way home. This is stupid. A resource that is as basic as leather shouldnt be this hard to utilize. and i dont know you think thats a small area for foraging theres shit tons of berry bushes, along with other plant spawns.

2023-08-02_08-33-44.png

• Sad 1

If one is playing with map, a maximum view distance gives you over 3k x 3k without leaving spawn. I would not limit myself to a territory that small. At a guess, that's probably not even a full stack of flax seeds.

You probably do not have enough shoreline to make it with shells. If you are going to limit yourself to just what you have explored, I'd check out the tall mountains near the bauxite. You have several rock types exposed, and it's not that uncommon that there is some lime type rock in at least thin seams in those regions.

I'm not arguing with you that maybe it should be easier to do leather. I'm just saying that the game as balanced pretty much requires more exploration.

Looking at it now, i realize i dont need tanning to create pelts so its something i can put off more then i thought originally. I thought creating both pelts and leather was through tanning and it felt like such a huge gate keep for any sort of armor.

Oh, yeah. Personally, I skip most armor levels. Improvised, gambeson, then straight to steel. Backpacks are nice, but linen sacks are only 1 fewer space each, and so long as I can make a mining bag, I'm money ahead without having spent any time or effort on leather. Usually, I'm to the point of raising pigs and sheep by the time I need actual leather. And by then, I've covered enough territory finding bronze and especially iron that I've run across some lime somewhere. 

You don't need that much leather, so buying lime from a trader is very viable (and there are 2 trader types selling it).

Bauxite (for steel) is a much bigger pain, you can't buy it. You do have bauxite on your map.

Also keep in mind that gambeson armor is not too difficult to get and a lot better than leather armor. You can buy the armor or you can often buy linen for 1 gear / piece.

I have the same issue. I have been playing for over two years and explored a large region in every direction only to find andesite everywhere. I stumbled across my first translocator and it led me to a place where it is just granite and basalt in every direction. Also no chalk or borax yet...

( I have not found enough sea shells for even one barrel of limewater yet either.)
It is not a survival necessity to find limestone, but it greatly limits my playthrough. Not only do I not have leather, I can also not make a lot of building blocks due to the lack of mortar.

I did not know about rock generation when I started this world. But in the future I would skip a lot of seeds that do not show limestone in the spawn area. And I find that rather sad.
Something a little bit easier to get to start this production chain would be a good idea in my opinion.

30 minutes ago, Diodoron said:

But in the future I would skip a lot of seeds that do not show limestone in the spawn area.

I'm the exact opposite. "Oh, no, not another f-ing limestone start!" A top-tier start is basalt, followed by granite.

As for not being able to make building blocks, I just go with the flow. Whatever is nearby should by definition be my building material. There's no way in heck I would consider hauling several hundred tons of rock in my backpack dozens or hundreds of kilometers just because I wanted a marble floor. If I want a polished granite castle, I'll build it where there's a lot of granite.

It's a knappable that has good copper, plus at least a chance of shallow tin. Further, it could have great hematite and deep tin. As little as a single trip that locates bauxite and a lime source and a bit of borax and you can potentially finish the game right there.

On 8/3/2023 at 8:19 PM, Thorfinn said:

I'm the exact opposite. "Oh, no, not another f-ing limestone start!" A top-tier start is basalt, followed by granite.

Granite deserts really are one of the best places to start in, I also think it's one of the best looking stones overall.

On 8/3/2023 at 7:42 PM, Diodoron said:

I did not know about rock generation when I started this world. But in the future I would skip a lot of seeds that do not show limestone in the spawn area. And I find that rather sad.

Something a little bit easier to get to start this production chain would be a good idea in my opinion.

I think Vintage Story's gameplay thrives off of the fact that you sometimes will have to venture out, or even fully move to settle with resources that you will need. At least I personally think that it's a lot of fun to realize that an adventure is in order for certain items.

Though I feel the same often about Halite. I have VERY BAD luck with salt, it seems.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Puddy said:

Granite deserts really are one of the best places to start in, I also think it's one of the best looking stones overall.

Suevite deserves a full block palette, but alas Saraty has neglected the brick block.  The best you get is polished blocks and slabs >weep<

In case you can't tell, I think suevite is the bestest.  It pairs very well with granite and andesite.

6 hours ago, Puddy said:

Though I feel the same often about Halite. I have VERY BAD luck with salt, it seems.

I've played hundreds of games through late fall or so, and recall finding halite once, if you exclude the dry lake seams in a desert. Not for a lack of looking, either. I usually play Wilderness, so I'm only prospecting once per chunk (ideally, but how would I know?) but still often go through a dozen or more propicks.

[EDIT]

Incidentally, the only halite I recall revealed itself in a cliff face, so the propick didn't even enter into it.

[/EDIT]

Edited by Thorfinn

On 8/2/2023 at 7:02 AM, Ricwi said:

I've gone about 800+ blocks in every direction, gone farther in one and just found periodite instead of granite. how am i supposed to finde limestone so i can do leather work.

Just 800? I've travelled 10k block in every direction and only had granite.

Chalk also works as limestone if you happen to come by it, it's white on the map, easy to spot. You can also grind shells you find on shores to get lime, but you need quern and mechanical power for that. Also some of the traders can have lime for sale (can't remember which one, might be comodities)

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/2/2023 at 6:45 AM, Ricwi said:

Spent literal hours searching an area of roughly 3500x3500 without a single source of fucking limestone or chalk except a single trader that i found on my way home. This is stupid. A resource that is as basic as leather shouldnt be this hard to utilize. and i dont know you think thats a small area for foraging theres shit tons of berry bushes, along with other plant spawns.

2023-08-02_08-33-44.png

Ohhh you got that magic orange rocc though. count your blessings lmfao, my first source of bauxite was 10k east and 6k north of my base 😂

12 hours ago, Lily_Astral said:

Ohhh you got that magic orange rocc though. count your blessings lmfao, my first source of bauxite was 10k east and 6k north of my base 😂

Ouch.  In my last world I traipsed about 3,000 blocks for the beautiful orange rock.  Later went through a bugged translocator and found bauxite <500 blocks while walking back home. ☠️

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.