about Halfway there...

Coding Berry

20 hours ago, l33tmaan said:

I've done that before. On a multiplayer server with 5-6 people getting wood all the time. It still took us a few weeks to fill up the charcoal pit.

Why? for 10,000 coal, that's why!

I mean, i have one friend that is helping a little but its pretty much just me

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/11/2023 at 6:04 PM, Maelstrom said:

That much firewood will murder multiple steel axes.  I'm guessing a good half dozen from chopping the firewood alone

That's why I used to use stone axes to turn the logs into firewood. Now I am a spoiled lazy industrialist and I am abusing the log splitter and the electric pyrolysis kiln from the QPTech mod to fully automate the charcoal making...

8 hours ago, Ivan Stamenov said:

That's why I used to use stone axes to turn the logs into firewood. Now I am a spoiled lazy industrialist and I am abusing the log splitter and the electric pyrolysis kiln from the QPTech mod to fully automate the charcoal making...

Oh, is QPTech working alright in 1.18.13?

I've always wondered about how to handle the 30 second limit after lighting the fire at the center. Or am I misunderstanding the rule? Doesn't all the firewood have to be within 7 of the firepit? Closest I've figured out was leaving the vertical right next to the pit open to the top, put a rope ladder so it can be removed from the top, then have the right size stack of firewood (8 blocks) atop a block of packed earth directly over the hole to the center of the pit. After lighting the fire, climb up, remove the ladder, dig the packed earth so the firewood falls down into the hole, put the packed earth to seal. Seems I SHOULD be able to do that in 30 seconds, but I'm 0/2 now, and making that much firewood is too much work to fulfill my need to perform "a really futile and stupid gesture on somebody's part!"  (Animal House, for those not familiar.)

Now that I think on it, I ought to be able to do a mock-up with as few as 10 stacks of firewood and practice on that...

believe that you can stand on top of a stack of firewood as you're stacking and ride it up.  I haven't tried it with a full block, but I recall being elevated when stacking wood directly below sometime ago and assume it would continue to propel you up and wood continually gets stacked underneath.

True, that was my first attempt. But even stacking 4 at a go (ctrl), it takes too long to get up 8 blocks, switch to dirt, and seal it up, unless maybe you get the right number of firewood the first try, and don't have to add or subtract a row of firewood. Mess that up and you lose all that effort. I failed at that.

So the pre-stacked was my second idea. I didn't get that done in time, either.

There must be a way to do it. Maybe it's just practice, practice, practice?

9 hours ago, Thorfinn said:

There must be a way to do it.

The way you are doing it seems overcomplicated... Just put the firepit on top of the wood pile. In this game this works.

SSSSSSS
SSSSFXP
SWWWWSP
SWWWWSS
SWWWWSS
SSSSSSS

S - stone block around the charcoal pit, W - wood, F - firepit, X - firepit access, dirt block to seal the lit charcoal pit, P - player, bottom and top half.

Fill in the charcoal pit with wood. Put a firepit on top of the wood pile. Light up the firepit and you have 30 seconds to put a single block to seal the charcoal pit.

2023-10-07_08-57-19.png

2023-10-07_08-57-36.png

2023-10-07_09-00-01.png

• Like 1

Oh, I was trying to put the 13x13x13 charcoal pit notch on my bedpost. I generally just make smallish pits, up to about what you show but usually much smaller, where I can just place the grass on top and it's just 1 block to close things off, because, as mentioned above, I really don't need 12,000+ charcoal. I'm just going to leave that right where it is, build my blacksmith shop next to it, and shovel it out as needed instead of taking it all home and finding somewhere north of 5 trunks to store it all. That and clearcutting an entire redwood forest to make charcoal I'm never going to use more than a small fraction of seems a bit... excessive?

As I understand it, the firepit has to be at the absolute center of a pile of firewood, because only those blocks within 6 of the firepit will count. Is that not true? And the fewest open firewood I could come up to light the firepit with is the 7 (not 8 ) blocks vertically one horizontal tile from the center. But that still requires waiting the time to place 7 blocks of firewood (56 28 individual "place" animations with Ctrl) plus 1 animation to place the dirt on top. Which I did not accomplish in the requisite 30 seconds.

The alternative I came up with was the rope ladder, which would require just climbing out, the 1 "remove", then remove the 1 hay block holding up 7 blocks of firewood, let gravity slam the firewood home, then seal it up with the 1 block of dirt, which, for whatever reason, took me too long. Shouldn't have. I didn't think it took too long at the time. Yet no charcoal. So I obviously messed something up, but have no idea what.

Edited by Thorfinn

I am not sure how the game handles the falling wood piles in regards to registering the completion of the charcoal pit. You can still have plenty of charcoal with a much smaller charcoal pit (w/l/h <= 6 blocks), which would allow the firepit to be placed anywhere on the perimeter and without the need of wood juggling... In fact in my previous world (the setup shown in my previous post) I have a full steel crate (over 32000 pieces) with charcoal and about 2/3 were gathered with the help of the charcoal pit shown + pine farm + OCD (it just bothers me when there are crates which are not full to the brim).

Edit: the documentation states that the maximum charcoal pit dimensions are 13x13x13, which means that probably you have 1 extra layer of wood, which is not a solid block and does not seal the charcoal pit and the wood just burns out. You can have a maximum of 6 wood blocks away from the firepit in the center, but you are slamming 7 on top of it?

Edited by Ivan Stamenov

Right. 13x13xN where N<8 seems to work fine. Just leave the center block out, place your firepit in that hole, cover it with dirt, and Bob's your uncle.

The reason for 7 blocks of firewood is that in order to start the firepit the seventh block below the top of the completed charcoal pit, you have to be able to see it, which means you are standing 7 blocks below the top.

You have a lot more patience than I have. Other than bragging rights, I can't think why I'd ever do anything like that. In a "normal" game, I rarely use a pit larger than 1 inventory's worth of wood. Chop down trees until there's wood left on the ground, split it all, then dig down and as big around as I need until the firewood is all gone, enough for about 300 charcoal. I find I never use more than a couple dozen similarly sized charcoal pits in a real game. I just run out of uses for all that steel and start a new game. It's not like I even wear the steel armor. It just collects dust on an armor thingie.

[EDIT]

Steel crate? A mod, I'm guessing?

[/EDIT]

Edited by Thorfinn

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.