Animals jumping ability

Khael

Hi fellow Vintarians

Got a few question about some animals in game. Any feedback will be appreciated.

I already know that bears can jump very high, I have been hit on top of a 4 or 5 block high position. I was guessing it was ok, as bears are really tall.

But now there is another disappointing thing about rabbits. On my last game, I found nearly every day one or two rabbits in my crops fields, even if it's all enclosed with fence. At first look, I was thinking there were a spawn point on one of the dirt block I leave as path in it. But after replacing them, nothing changed. I managed to do traps along my fence to catch the rabbits with a 3 block deep trench. I've caught a lot of rabbits, still some were found in the fields, eating many of my crops. And just found out when chasing them, that the ones in the trap can jump outside it with ease, they probably can jump over a 4 blocks wall... How I'm I supposed to handle this ? It's the first time I have troubles with rabbits, on my previous games (about 200h cumulated), fences were enough to keep them away from my fields. Somebody else experienced same thing ?

I'll add up more fence, but I was not expecting to make a fence 2 or 3 block high...

Here is my little story.

Thanks for reading until there. 

a few observations i've had are mobs can jump on other mobs elevating them slightly higher that will then allow scaling over a wall.  mobs can jump from an elevated rise to bridge a gap that they would normally fall into or not cross.  mobs seem to gain a higher jump at a run than from a stand still....

What version of the game are you playing? Any mods? That all sounds... odd. Four blocks, sure, depending on terrain. Bears get an extra block of height over, say, drifters, though maybe polar bears might be able to reach 5? I usually don't spend enough time in the arctic to know.

As @idiomcritter said, rabbits and chickens can bunch up, climb on top of one another, and escape from a confinement that maybe they should not be able to. I've also never been able to confirm it, but it might be possible they can spawn on a grass tile that is in flowing water in your irrigation ditch. I don't recall ever having them spawn when I made SURE there was no flowing water, or when that flowing water tile was filled with a Cooper's Reed, but usually when I see a rabbit in the crops, I can find at least 1 flowing water. Is that really to blame? No idea. I just make sure either there is no flowing water, or that the block the water is on is not dirt. 

But fences, mostly not. Wolves can clear a fence if they have a single block gap, and I'm guessing bears can, too. But if they don't have a block in range they can use to get up 1 Z, no, never seen it.

• 2 weeks later...

This is why I don't use fences. Just raise the crop fields two blocks above the surrounding terrain. Nothing goes on those raised blocks except

-farmland, with crops
-fallow farmland, with either a hay block or a flower planted to prevent varmints
-sunken block, with still water in it, to water the surrounding farmland

You access via a step block off to the side. You can jump up and over a gap at the same time; no animal can.

image.png

• Sad 2

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.