1.19 pre Stone and other resources are very hard to find

Arasine

I just wanted to ask the community if this is normal. 

After playing many tens of hours in a 1.19 pre version, I have only seen three types of stone. Granite, Andesite and Basalt. I have ran for in game days in all directions, swam across oceans, dug to the centre of the Earth, climbed mountains but the entire world is made of Granite, Andesite and Basalt.. 

This is obviously stymying gameplay, as I cant progress several lines of gameplay (the traders are no help either but thats another topic!). 

Am I just very unlucky? Has anything changed in 1.19 ?

In my other 3 worlds, within a day or so running in a fixed direction I always reached other stone types / general different terrain. But in this 1.19 world everything is almost the same in every direction seemingly forever.

This and the general terrain generation are my only complaints with this fantastic game :)

Thanks for any insight! 

Edited by Arasine
  • Like 1

• Arasine changed the title to 1.19 pre Stone and other resources are very hard to find

I am not a dev, but the patchnotes mention no changes to rock strata generation.

Chances are, when you got to the edge of your granite region, you simply found (by random chance) another granite region directly bordering it. Or you simply didn't walk far enough.

Depending on terrain roughness, time of year, and a variety of other factors, a player might manage anywhere from below 1000 to well over 4000 blocks between sunrise and sundown, so "a day of running" that doesn't tell us much about how far you actually went.

Try going in a different direction, too. I once went over 6000 blocks south in a straight line, still saw the same stone, went back home, and walked 1000 blocks towards the west - boom, new stone.

Edited by Streetwind

With the map change it is much harder to spot the rock changes...

I had one world the was Limestone, Limestone and more Limestone.  it wasn't until day 4 before I found Granite and my first copper bits.  I deleted that world when I fell down a cave, died and realized I had to run almost 10k blocks to get back to my corpse.

On 1/6/2024 at 1:57 AM, Ludan said:

With the map change it is much harder to spot the rock changes...

That's a good point. There's almost certainly a command to switch back to the old style map to see where the changes are, then to the new to see if you can identify the transition. I'm not the guy to ask, though. I don't play with map of either flavor.

i created a 1.19 latest rc as of today and found ZERO stones on the ground at all. wandered into some granite gravel and found some boulders to break into stones but nothing there otherwise. no flint .... 

set climate and current weather to one step cooler in the game creation tabs and theres absolutely no bushes or crops or anything that i have seen to eat yet in 10-15 minutes of wandering - only animals to hunt.. may be what they are after but man that new start is hard

RNG can be such a malicious b***h on steroidal PMS!!!  One of my first test run worlds (maybe even the first) in 1.14 had a whole whopping 12 or 15 reeds in a couple hundred block radius of spawn despite copious tracts of lakefront property.  Only had one basket by nightfall and it was a particularly dark night and I hadn't collected enough resources to light up the night.

On 1/4/2024 at 3:34 AM, Arasine said:

I just wanted to ask the community if this is normal. 

After playing many tens of hours in a 1.19 pre version, I have only seen three types of stone. Granite, Andesite and Basalt. I have ran for in game days in all directions, swam across oceans, dug to the centre of the Earth, climbed mountains but the entire world is made of Granite, Andesite and Basalt.. 

This is obviously stymying gameplay, as I cant progress several lines of gameplay (the traders are no help either but thats another topic!). 

Am I just very unlucky? Has anything changed in 1.19 ?

In my other 3 worlds, within a day or so running in a fixed direction I always reached other stone types / general different terrain. But in this 1.19 world everything is almost the same in every direction seemingly forever.

This and the general terrain generation are my only complaints with this fantastic game :)

Thanks for any insight! 

You were the lucky recipient of a stinky world gen.  Best thing to do when you spawn a world is immediately save after world creation and character creation, then make a copy of the save and use that to use dev mode fly around a bit to make sure you have a good variety of all three layers of stone in your area.

I've seen all Igneous layers of rock starts too and they always sucked and would pretty much break your game with all the things they don't allow to spawn in them.

Edited by JD2v0

16 hours ago, JD2v0 said:

You were the lucky recipient of a stinky world gen.  Best thing to do when you spawn a world is immediately save after world creation and character creation, then make a copy of the save and use that to use dev mode fly around a bit to make sure you have a good variety of all three layers of stone in your area.

You don't have to settle in place. You can spend a month or two exploring (peeking into caves to see what the rock layers look like), looking for a good spot to settle. You will find enough food to survive (e.g. berries and termites). If you explore a lot of ruins, you will likely find enough flax for some linen bags, some copper tools, torch holders and loot to be able to buy a lantern or two.

On 1/13/2024 at 9:38 AM, sushieater said:

You don't have to settle in place. You can spend a month or two exploring (peeking into caves to see what the rock layers look like), looking for a good spot to settle. You will find enough food to survive (e.g. berries and termites). If you explore a lot of ruins, you will likely find enough flax for some linen bags, some copper tools, torch holders and loot to be able to buy a lantern or two.

keep in mind that is a huge time investment and also bloats your save file considerably. I'd always argue that you should just scrap and regenerate instead of trying to scour the world for your preferred start

On 1/13/2024 at 8:38 AM, sushieater said:

You can spend a month or two exploring (peeking into caves to see what the rock layers look like), looking for a good spot to settle.

If playing in a colder climate this can be a setup for a brutally difficult winter.   Two months of running around might give you a single harvest of crops for winter preservation.  Hopefully sufficient seeds were gathered during the 2 months of nomadic lifestyle.

49 minutes ago, Maelstrom said:

If playing in a colder climate this can be a setup for a brutally difficult winter.   Two months of running around might give you a single harvest of crops for winter preservation.  Hopefully sufficient seeds were gathered during the 2 months of nomadic lifestyle.

I don't find food to be an issue at all. In my first game, I didn't have enough stored food for the winter. However, there were enough animals around to survive by hunting.

Traveling around in my current game, I collected 30 stacks of seeds, 20 stacks of high calorie grain, enough flax for linen bags, gambeson armor and a full set of windmill sails, various copper and bronce tools/weapons; I could buy 6 copper lanterns, ...

What was your climate?  Life's a lot easier in a warm climate start.

I've had temperate starts where wild grain and veggies were sparse and the animals almost as sparse.  As I said, nomadic life CAN (but not always) be a setup for a brutal winter.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.