Please add an option to wake at dawn

Malnaur

What if the game had an alarm clock that could be set to wake... powered by a tgear maybe.  and sleeping wouldn't just be for night, allowing napping.... you know, when you just want to speed the game up for a moment while waiting for the animals to breed.... idk  :)

Personally, I like the current sleep mechanic; including the buggy sleep abort.  IRL I may wake well before my alarm wakes me up or sleep longer than I think I will (when I don't set an alarm).  I'm not against an option to wake at dawn consistently, but like @Thorfinn I wouldn't use it since the current mechanic is more organic and enjoyable to me.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, idiomcritter said:

What if the game had an alarm clock that could be set to wake

It already does. Instead of right clicking on the bed and answering "Yes" or however the bed works, just look at it and type, 

/time set [lunch|day|night|latenight|morning|latemorning|sunrise|sunset|afternoon|midnight|witchinghour]

as appropriate.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Thorfinn said:

It already does. Instead of right clicking on the bed and answering "Yes" or however the bed works, just look at it and type, 

/time set [lunch|day|night|latenight|morning|latemorning|sunrise|sunset|afternoon|midnight|witchinghour]

as appropriate.

I was only causally aware of that command and is a good tool/function thanks.

Still like the idea of an additional game mechanic that acts as an temporal powered alarm clock idk :)

25 minutes ago, Thorfinn said:

It's an interesting idea. Another use for temporal gears that still wouldn't make it worth bothering killing drifters. ;) 

You know there is a whole tier of crafting advanced devices using exotic components that must be harvested from various spiders, right? Part of the rest of what the game offers.

And, no, typing console commands is not a solution to an already immersion disrupting hack around. I'm sorry @Thorfinn, but IMHO I don't think you are playing the game other than superficially and ignoring much of what makes it unique, If that's your thing. enjoy, but don't ruin things for the rest of us. 

Meh. I've built one of those late game devices, and its a stretch to call any of them even underwhelming.

Spoiler

Something that keeps drifters from spawning? How is that any better than just ignoring/dealing with them, as I've done the rest of the game? And that's the most potentially useful. What's the point of having something that teleports you to where you died when you play permadeath? To say that was a disappointment is again a major understatement. Night vision? What's the point if darkness isn't an issue in the first place, because you've invented the cutting-edge technology called a "lantern" or even a "torch"? And that's all assuming you are going to be grinding enough to find all the parts for one.

51 minutes ago, Malnaur said:

And, no, typing console commands is not a solution to an already immersion disrupting hack around.

So don't flippin' do it! Build your bedroom with windows and a skylight, so you know when it's morning rather than using "C". Right clicking on a bed isn't really all that "immersive" in the first place, nor is the fact that time fast-forwards while you do so. There's no functional immersion difference between setting a macro for that console command and right clicking on a bed, for Pete's sake!

[EDIT]

Spoiler tags, in case someone might think those are spoliers.

[/EDIT]

Edited by Thorfinn

1 hour ago, Malnaur said:

but don't ruin things for the rest of us. 

This one still bothers me. How exactly is expressing my preferences "runining" things for you or anyone else?

And if somehow it does, didn't you do exactly that in the OP and pretty much every one of your replies?

Edited by Thorfinn
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Thorfinn said:

This one still bothers me. How exactly is expressing my preferences "runining" things for you or anyone else?

And if somehow it does, didn't you do exactly that in the OP and pretty much every one of your replies?

Because, unless you are a compulsive poster or a troll, you would not have taken the time to post your first response, much less the rest, if you truly didn't care. You clearly disagree with my suggestion so strongly that you felt the need to chime in here with 'do not do this'. No matter how much you digress with soft words, your purpose seems clear. I wouldn't make such an effort unless I thought the suggestion would damage the game. my suggestion is absolutely innocuous and would have zero impact on your play style. I guarantee the devs are spending far more time on other features you also will not use. All of this said, this forum smells like a honey trap the devs rarely if ever pay attention to and diverts players from complaining directly, Otherwise, it would be part of the git repo workflow.  So I doubt you ever have to worry about my distracting them. I'm done beating this horse. It's dead, Jim.

8 minutes ago, Malnaur said:

Because, unless you are a compulsive poster or a troll, you would not have taken the time to post your first response, much less the rest, if you truly didn't care.

Well, of course I care. I'd prefer the time not be wasted on making VS more like Minecraft. But you care, too, or you would not have bothered suggesting it. You just don't see it as wasted time.

Troll.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I agree that the sleeping mechanic is weird and clunky as it is. It's especially irksome how the menu clock tends to lag behind the actual time a little bit, so you actually have to get out of bed slightly before the time you want. How about a "Sleep for how many hours?" prompt, like in the Elder Scrolls games?

• Like 1

On 1/8/2024 at 8:57 AM, Malnaur said:

Please add a config setting to wake up at dawn. Watching the clock leap in large intervals and having to close the character window and THEN hit space is beyond clunky and unreliable. Minecraft had this right all along. Alternatively, allow a choice when starting sleep to 'only sleep until dawn' if your bed will take you beyond it. Daytime is too short to waste.

I have an optional idea:  Feathers have very little use outside of making arrows.  Perhaps add a new bed recipe that uses comfort (either feathers instead of hay, or a feather comforter or pillow, etc.) to have the bed come up with a "Sleep for _______ hours" when you lay down.  Similar to other games.  So that you could do anything from a nap to a full night etc.  or at least up to the maximum allowed on the bed.  Just a thought.   

Another option would be to allow for said "feather beds" to allow you to sleep through temporal storms (obviously this would require some tweaks to the current settings).

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.