1.18.15 client, repeatedly crashes with 'networkproc' error after working well for several weeks

surio

I run 3 clients in total and it comprises 2 desktops (1 lan server, another joins as client) and 1 laptop, also joins as client.

All these are running v1.18.15. Originally modded but now all 3 are running in vanilla mode. The only mode of playing the game is via LAN as an entire family. Existing modded world of 100+ hours, was stable for all three clients for several days of hard gameplay - combat/exploration/mining/etc. then came a bug.

This error came originally after changing a JSON recipe to differentiate recipes due to mod clashes. Immediately since, one out of the 3 clients, running on a laptop has repeatedly bugged out and crashed with attached dialogue box.
image.png.124d587088a4b765cbe3071adf50d2c4.png

Even after reverting the previous mod, the laptop never ever recovered from this error and game was unplayable from the laptop. To isolate or clear this problem, first, all mods were removed, cache was cleared and a fresh vanilla world was created on the same desktop machine but laptop crashed again.

Again, the entire VS client was uninstalled, all the %VSData% directory was deleted, fresh VS install on laptop and LAN mode was attempted. On a fresh vanilla creative world, on LAN, laptop again crashed with the same dialog error and the two logs are now attached. as a final testing attempt, tried to play the game on SP and this time while trying to chisel a rock, game crashed again. This log is also attached.

PLEASE NOTE: during all these testings, in the main desktop where world is created and serves as the 'LAN server', game runs well and ran well. The desktop running same sets of mods, vanilla, etc also connects and plays w/o any issues. Only laptop client bugged out over last weekend (06/07-Jan-24) and never recovered since. I'm surio on the discord channl as well if you need additional info

Hardware spec of laptop which is bugging out.

CPU Intel Core i7 7500U @ 2.70GHz 59 °C Kaby Lake-U/Y 14nm Technology
RAM 16.0GB Dual-Channel Unknown @ 1064MHz (15-15-15-35)
Motherboard Dell Inc. 08H44Y (U3E1)
Graphics C27F390 (1920x1080@60Hz)
Generic PnP Monitor (1920x1080@60Hz) Intel HD Graphics 620
(Dell) Storage 476GB
Hitachi HS-SSD-E100N 512G (SATA (SSD)) 30 °C
119GB SDXC Card (USB )
Optical Drives No optical disk drives detected
Audio Intel Display Audio

Edit: Today (11-Jan-24) I had another crash when testing the game.
Yesterday's crash was

9.1.2024 17:51:03 [Fatal] Caught unhandled exception in thread 'networkproc'. Exiting game. 
9.1.2024 17:51:03 [Fatal] System.IO.IOException: Stream ended too early at ProtocolParser.ReadUInt32(CitoStream stream) in C:\Users\Tyron\Documents\vintagestory\game\VintagestoryLib\Common\Network\Packets.Serializer.cs:line 285 at 
ProtocolParser.ReadZInt32(CitoStream stream) in C:\Users\Tyron\Documents\vintagestory\game\VintagestoryLib\Common\Network\Packets.Serializer.cs:line 221 
at Packet_EntityMovedMinimalSerializer.Deserialize(CitoMemoryStream stream, Packet_EntityMovedMinimal instance) in 
C:\Users\Tyron\Documents\vintagestory\game\VintagestoryLib\Common\Network\Packets.Serializer.cs:line 22257

Whereas today's error was

10.1.2024 18:34:42 [Fatal] Caught unhandled exception in thread 'networkproc'. Exiting game.
10.1.2024 18:34:42 [Fatal] System.OverflowException: Arithmetic operation resulted in an overflow. at Vintagestory.Common.ArrayConvert.ByteToByte(Byte[] data, Int32 length) in C:\Users\Tyron\Documents\vintagestory\game\VintagestoryLib\Common\Convert\ArrayConvert.cs:line 73
at Vintagestory.Common.CompressionZSTD.Decompress(Byte[] fi) in C:\Users\Tyron\Documents\vintagestory\game\VintagestoryLib\Common\Convert\Compression.cs:line 678
at Vintagestory.Client.TcpNetClient.TryGetMessageFromIncoming() in C:\Users\Tyron\Documents\vintagestory\game\VintagestoryLib\Client\Network\TcpNetClient.cs:line 80
at Vintagestory.Client.NoObf.SystemNetworkProcess.NetworkProcess() in C:\Users\Tyron\Documents\vintagestory\game\VintagestoryLib\Client\Systems\NetworkProcess.cs:line 135

Consistent failure of the client, but it chooses different places within the code to fail during gameplay. And it was a brand new world yesterday and new world today as well

As can be seen, only one client is giving this error out of the three.
Desktop game client that runs my player world world, works fine (with mods, w/o mods).
Second desktop running mods joins the LAN server fine (in vanilla too).
Game on a laptop, the only one that throws error in modded, continues with error after starting as vanilla too

I see that error showing up many times but no one seems to have a post or a resolution when this error shows up.
If you need anything else from me please ask and I will do my best to provide you.

client-crash.txt client-debug.txt client-main.txt

Edited by surio
missed adding additional information

Reserved, in case I need to add something else

Update: 14-Jan-2024

Friends, I wanted to be fair and fact based, so I took the exhortations in another thread about whether system is up to date and to check against those by running DISM and sfc, seriously. So, these are my findings. 

1. Seems my laptop had silently failed a critical update, namely, https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/2024-01-security-update-for-windows-10-version/969c01b7-a80c-49b2-92b3-ed09232924f9 and apparently this silent failure seems to cause other issues but in weird ways. 

With this knowledge I ran DISM and sfc, sure enough:

image.png.63aab9eb032387451186c1bf6a934cec.png

Subsequently, after rebooting, I am very happy to report that my laptop client is working without errors. I tested for an hour in vanilla gameplay, and an hour of my earlier modded world without the errors. 

I am leaving all this information for the benefit of someone else who might end up in my situation. 

My thanks to everyone who continued to engage me and threw in their thoughts. Sanity prevailed, and my family thanks you all. 

- surio.

Edited by surio
Provided information on resolution
  • Thanks 1

noted your post in another thread and came to take a look here...

I'm no expert. And I'm sure you have asked yourself the very same question, how does software that works on 2 other machines fail on the third, all things being similar?

And I'm guessing you did what you could to test the hardware (memory checks, storage checks, graphic checks.. to make sure the hardware isn't at fault?

When logic doesn't help, step back, try something else (non logical?)

very unique issue that appears to be happening, and hard to duplicate (else others might have documented a bug?)?

tech is great when it works and then....

forgive if I've misspoken :)

You mention reverting to before installation of the mod, and you mention creating a vanilla world... did you try completely uninstalling Vintage Story, manually checking to make sure the install directory or directories are empty (including user/appdata/roaming/vintagestorydata) and reinstalling a fresh copy of 1.18.15?

I can't explain why, but sometimes starting totally fresh can fix weird issues like this.

Edit: I see now where you state you tried exactly that. I don't know how I missed that passage. Very strange, indeed! Perhaps reinstallation of the .net dependencies would somehow help? I'm left scratching my head.

Edited by StCatharines
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, StCatharines said:

You mention reverting to before installation of the mod, and you mention creating a vanilla world... did you try completely uninstalling Vintage Story, manually checking to make sure the install directory or directories are empty (including user/appdata/roaming/vintagestorydata) and reinstalling a fresh copy of 1.18.15?

I can't explain why, but sometimes starting totally fresh can fix weird issues like this.

Edit: I see now where you state you tried exactly that. I don't know how I missed that passage. Very strange, indeed! Perhaps reinstallation of the .net dependencies would somehow help? I'm left scratching my head.

Thanks for noticing it. I wanted to avoid all obvious questions, hence the detailed post, which might also lead to overlaod and people missing it on first read. 

I missed that other point you made but I have also installed/upgraded to latest .NET 7 and it still doesn't resolve. 

11 hours ago, idiomcritter said:

noted your post in another thread and came to take a look here...

I'm no expert. And I'm sure you have asked yourself the very same question, how does software that works on 2 other machines fail on the third, all things being similar?

And I'm guessing you did what you could to test the hardware (memory checks, storage checks, graphic checks.. to make sure the hardware isn't at fault?

When logic doesn't help, step back, try something else (non logical?)

very unique issue that appears to be happening, and hard to duplicate (else others might have documented a bug?)?

tech is great when it works and then....

forgive if I've misspoken :)

The "dialog" I attached has featured a few times as has the "networkproc" error, both in github and in these forums. I both cases it was an errant mod. This is why I wiped clean to test plain vanilla. Since that has also failed on same error I have made my complaint officially. Laptop works well for all other activities except this gameplay. I also reinstalled the game to ensure any corruption at that level doesn't replicate. I do not see a hardware issue.

On 1/11/2024 at 10:13 PM, surio said:

. I do not see a hardware issue.

ok, makes logical sense and since this error appears to be related  to network handling I'm wondering and guessing you tried just running the machine in standalone/single player mode.  What were the results, did VS run?  Also, are you hardwired (ethernet cable, or wifi connecting) to the network?

forgive if you've already clearly stated the answers, and just ignore :)

• Thanks 1

Dear all, 

I updated my second post to provide closure and resolution on this issue. It was in the end, a poorly rolled out windows update failure that silently caused all this. My many thanks to all who helped and engaged.

Seems that my issue is resolved for now, and we were able to have an uninterrupted, error free gaming session over LAN for nearly an hour since my steps to fix things.

Thank you. 

• Like 1

Makes sense, it'd be kind of weird for some things to not have the code handled with an exception, and the overflow could also happen if the OS messes up the interaction in RAM due to corrupt files. The mod itself triggered it.

Also since Windows 10 isn't supported anymore, I'd expect more crashes or issues later down the line so long as Microsoft can force security updates or whatnot.

• 1 month later...

So, me again. Logged into the game after a break of 2 weeks. Things are back to the same buggy problem with the laptop. 

17.2.2024 12:42:46 [Warning] ===============================================================
17.2.2024 12:42:50 [Warning] Texture asset 'game:textures/block/wood/debarked/.png' not found (defined in : alternate:0).
17.2.2024 12:42:50 [Warning] Texture asset 'game:textures/block/wood/debarked/.png' not found (defined in : alternate:0).
17.2.2024 12:42:53 [Notification] Wow, client daytime drifted off significantly from server daytime (22.4 mins)
17.2.2024 12:42:53 [Notification] Track music/to-dawn.ogg now started
17.2.2024 12:42:56 [Fatal] Caught unhandled exception in thread 'networkproc'. Exiting game.
17.2.2024 12:42:56 [Fatal] System.OverflowException: Arithmetic operation resulted in an overflow.
   at Vintagestory.Common.ArrayConvert.ByteToByte(Byte[] data, Int32 length) in C:\Users\Tyron\Documents\vintagestory\game\VintagestoryLib\Common\Convert\ArrayConvert.cs:line 73
   at Vintagestory.Common.CompressionZSTD.Decompress(Byte[] fi) in C:\Users\Tyron\Documents\vintagestory\game\VintagestoryLib\Common\Convert\Compression.cs:line 678
   at Vintagestory.Client.TcpNetClient.TryGetMessageFromIncoming() in C:\Users\Tyron\Documents\vintagestory\game\VintagestoryLib\Client\Network\TcpNetClient.cs:line 80
   at Vintagestory.Client.TcpNetClient.ReadMessage() in C:\Users\Tyron\Documents\vintagestory\game\VintagestoryLib\Client\Network\TcpNetClient.cs:line 51
   at Vintagestory.Client.NoObf.SystemNetworkProcess.NetworkProcess() in C:\Users\Tyron\Documents\vintagestory\game\VintagestoryLib\Client\Systems\NetworkProcess.cs:line 135
   at Vintagestory.Client.NoObf.ClientThread.Update() in C:\Users\Tyron\Documents\vintagestory\game\VintagestoryLib\Client\ClientThread.cs:line 75
   at Vintagestory.Client.NoObf.ClientThread.Process() in C:\Users\Tyron\Documents\vintagestory\game\VintagestoryLib\Client\ClientThread.cs:line 61
17.2.2024 12:43:00 [Notification] Window was resized to 0 0? Window probably got minimized. Will not rebuild frame buffers
17.2.2024 12:43:14 [Notification] Destroying game session, waiting up to 200ms for client threads to exit
17.2.2024 12:43:43 [Notification] Exiting current game to main menu, reason: client thread crash
17.2.2024 12:43:45 [Warning] Texture with texture id 41 is leaking memory, missing call to Dispose. Set env var TEXTURE_DEBUG_DISPOSE to get allocation trace.
17.2.2024 12:43:56 [Notification] Exiting game now. Server running=False. Exit reason: Main screen quit button was pressed

This time, running the DISM and SFC fixed some problems, but the bug still remains. VS client loadsbut when trying to join the game, bails with the above error. 

No amount of restarts or reruns of the commands fixes the issue now

NB: It's the same old Windows 10 update that's causing the update manager to fail and cause issues.

Edited by surio
Added additional information

I know it sounds like a bother, but do you have the ability to do a fresh reinstall of windows from an up-to-date image? If your OS consistently fails critical updates, that's a bigger problem than not being able to run a game, and likely one that's going to get worse with time.

(You could also try Windows' built-in reset functionality, but I've never used it myself so I cannot say how well it works for things like this.)

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Streetwind said:

I know it sounds like a bother, but do you have the ability to do a fresh reinstall of windows from an up-to-date image? If your OS consistently fails critical updates, that's a bigger problem than not being able to run a game, and likely one that's going to get worse with time.

(You could also try Windows' built-in reset functionality, but I've never used it myself so I cannot say how well it works for things like this.)

You know, I was just speaking to my PC guy to go through this. I've had it with the snakes in the plane at this point!

• Cookie time 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.